Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JackEMT

NYS volunteer firefighters get free tuition at SUNY

5 posts in this topic

http://blog.suny.edu/2014/06/volunteer-firefighters-eligible-for-free-suny-degree/

"Great news for volunteer firefighters in New York: the Firemen’s Association of the State of New York, also known as FASNY, offers up to 100% tuition reimbursement at a New York community college by maintaining good grades and fulfilling service requirements in a volunteer fire company for up to 80 college credits–ultimately, an Associate’s degree."

FFPCogs, SageVigiles and dave0820 like this

Wow, that's fantastic. Prince George's County, Maryland established a similar program through a SAFER grant, which works perfectly for them since the majority of their volunteers who live-in at stations are college students.

Good way to get/keep people involved.

FFPCogs likes this

Heres a link to FASNY's handbook on the program, Link. If anybody is interested I suggest you read through that first. From a quick glance there is a lot of catches to the program, but overall a great idea.

It worked good for me. Helped out for most of my college years

Back when I went to college (I'm really not that old) tuition was free for any firefighter in a SUNY school under the same scenario of metting grade and volunteer requirements. The only catch was you had to volunteer within 50 miles of the school.

The FASNY tuition reimbursement is definitely a great program, especially since it urges our younger firefighters to go to college! Remember, kids, the new high school diploma is a college degree!!