wraftery

VBFD Lessons Learned

5 posts in this topic

Check out youtube on a search using "Thamesford Fire-Lessons Learned"

It is one of the best critiques I have ever seen.

Sorry I had to give you a phrase to search, but for some reason, I couldn't give you a link but my computer is giving me a hard time

Check out youtube on a search using "Thamesford Fire-Lessons Learned"

It is one of the best critiques I have ever seen.

Sorry I had to give you a phrase to search, but for some reason, I couldn't give you a link but my computer is giving me a hard time

SageVigiles likes this

One thing I would now advocate which is different to what I was taught and did is to don your facepiece on the ground ascend the ladder and then take the window. The old way of taking the window with the ladder then ascending the ladder then donning your facepiece is just extra time allowing the fire to grow. Once inside the first thing you should do is to get the door to the room closed. These things will buy you more time for your search. VEIS is a good tactic especially in a situation like VBFD faced here. Seems like VB has their act together thanks for sharing.

Their Lesson Learned mirrors much of what the fire service is talking about right now. As16fire5 noted, we've had to re-think VES to set the ladder and ascend before taking the window, as using the ladder to take the glass and "let it blow" was the norm. Also, the VBFD talking about using the transitional attack. While many of us have used a "blitz attack" when conditions were clearly untenable to start, we're now learning that using a solid or straight stream to get some water on the fire regardless is going to of more benefit than harm. The old theory that we'd push the fire with the stream has been all but dis-proven. And while they didn't address it, likely due to the amount of venting fire on arrival, flow path management may or may not have been a factor. With crews attempting entry and being forced out, the doors being open certainly would allow even more fresh oxygen to the fire. Heard reports from the Engine Capt. that they had heavy fire on the first floor, but no talk if they attempted to put water on it or were trying to get a position at the stairs without flowing? Well done production and timely as we reinforce some of the lessons UL/NIST and FDNY/Chicago have been putting out.

Good stuff, thanks for posting Wraftery