Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Army selling Humvees to the public for the first time

7 posts in this topic

Might be a good way to acquire Humvees for storm response/evacuation, brush fires, etc...

According to the Army Times, the Department of Defense will start auctioning off as many as 4,000 military-spec Humvees to the public as part of its surplus-reduction efforts. In previous years, the off-road behemoths would have been sent straight to the military scrapyard, but due to changes in policies in recent years and what the Defense Logistics Agency spokesperson Michelle McCaskill describes as “cooperation from other government offices," the used Humvees will be sold instead of scrapped for the first time

Article: https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/army-selling-humvees-to-the-public-for-the-first-time-%E2%80%94-but-there-s-a-catch-214533984.html

Might be a good way to acquire Humvees for storm response/evacuation, brush fires, etc...

Article: https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/army-selling-humvees-to-the-public-for-the-first-time-%E2%80%94-but-there-s-a-catch-214533984.html

1033 program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1033_program) has been doing this for almost a decade. Where do you think they got the MRAPs in Ferguson, MO from?

Previously, government agencies could get almost any military surplus (generators, rifles, MRAPs, Boats, Copiers etc etc etc) for free but had to pay to remove lethal components (if not a firearm or alike) and ship the surplus to its final destination.

Now any John Q. Public can buy one, at least a HUMVEE that is...

SageVigiles and Pagers like this

HMMWV's are fun. I own a real USGI one, 100% street legal and registered/insured, from the USMC/Manheim auctions in the 1990's. It is fully restored. They are a lot of maintenance if you don't know what your doing or some of their quirks like halfshalf bolts and EESS boxes.. Parts are available, but some parts are not cheap.

One thing to be wary of is that there are no titles or SF-97's given with these trucks in the GOV PLANET auction, that may present a problem sooner or later.

Edited by 38ff
x635 and EmsFirePolice like this

As military vehicles are not built with emission controls or the required safety equipment that civilian

vehicles must have, can you get a waver or does the vehicle have to be brought up to civilian vehicle standards before you can register it.

It all depends on the state your registering it. NYS didn't require me to do anything other than pay my $ for the registration. Some states are a PITA, others don't seem to care. NY seems not to care, amazingly. Granted, I already had 100% valid titles or SF-97's. I make sure of that when I buy vehicles. When people have strange/bad/no paperwork, that's when DMV starts digging, and that usually doesn't go well.

Ususally, if there is a EPA National security exemption sticker on the engine, that is OK with the state. Only a handful of states worry about it, California being one of them with the more modern stuff.

Edited by 38ff