Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMT111

polygraphs in employment for federal agencies

4 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is the right section for this, but I have a question the polygraphs used in the employment process for federal law enforcement agencies. A couple of years ago while in college I went to an FBI special agent information session. The speaker told us if the FBI were to find something on your polygraph,they could and would take it to your current agency, if you're already a cop, and get you fired, or send it to other law enforcement agencies you apply for to prevent you from getting hired. The example he used was a law enforcement official who at some point in his life had abused a child, but their was no record of it at all, so they told the applicant's current police department and got him fired. Now obviously I'm not talking about if you go into the polygraph and admit to killing 10 people, but if you take a polygraph for employment with a federal agency and for whatever reason your results indicate deception on a question such as, using the example above, child abuse, will they really use that information to get you fired/ prevent you from getting hired anywhere else? Also, if your current agency/the agency you are applying to doesn't use polygraphs (NYSP, NYPD, etc.) can the agency you are employed by or applying to use that information since it's not part of the process for any other employee within the agency?

Not sure if it is specific to the poly, but I know they have done that in the past. That is basically how the Troop C scandal happened. (NYS Trooper applied for I believe it was the CIA. Told them during his background that one of his "special skills" was the ability to fabricate evidence. CIA called NYSP Professional Standards (IAB)

Also most agencies ask if you have taken a poly before and what the results were. Now that being said, there have been multiple cases of someone failing a polygraph at one agency and getting hired by another a few months later, with the same questions being asked

I don't know if this is the right section for this, but I have a question the polygraphs used in the employment process for federal law enforcement agencies. A couple of years ago while in college I went to an FBI special agent information session. The speaker told us if the FBI were to find something on your polygraph,they could and would take it to your current agency, if you're already a cop, and get you fired, or send it to other law enforcement agencies you apply for to prevent you from getting hired. The example he used was a law enforcement official who at some point in his life had abused a child, but their was no record of it at all, so they told the applicant's current police department and got him fired. Now obviously I'm not talking about if you go into the polygraph and admit to killing 10 people, but if you take a polygraph for employment with a federal agency and for whatever reason your results indicate deception on a question such as, using the example above, child abuse, will they really use that information to get you fired/ prevent you from getting hired anywhere else? Also, if your current agency/the agency you are applying to doesn't use polygraphs (NYSP, NYPD, etc.) can the agency you are employed by or applying to use that information since it's not part of the process for any other employee within the agency?

Just a correction to your post, NYSP does have a polygraph exam.

I'm taking my second polygraph in two weeks for a federal agency. According to my examiner who was a Special Agent, I didn't fail but my results were "inconclusive". It was more or less an interrogation honestly and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The guy was nice for the most part but did threaten me with "your whole federal career is on the line" crap. I know that if you fail a polygraph and admit to certain things they could black list you from federal employment for life. I had to sign a form that stated something along the lines of "anything you say during the polygraph can and will be used against you." I know that's vague but I assume that answers your question? Oh and by the way it was the worst 7+ hours of my life. I'm not looking forward to round 2.

Edited by spec