WHarley3

Controversy Emerges At The Somers Fire Commisioner Election

11 posts in this topic

A GREAT Commissioner of Somers FD, someone who was well respected within the entire fire service and area community for many years, an Ex-Chief, someone who always tried to do the right thing, lost by 21 votes due to sneaky and underhanded last minute politically motivated tactics. This person was running unopposed until tonight.

Lies were placed by the opposing party via an email right before the election stating that he makes $200,000 a year in the Fire District Commissioner role, when in fact, this is a volunteer position. Because of these remarks and other last minute false statements, a candidate was able to win via write in ballots. A candidate who couldn't be bothered to get on the ballot the right way, by collecting signatures on a petition, and giving the opposing party a chance to respond to her outrageous and false claims.

WOW.

So what difference would it make if Jim made $200,000 or the other candidate who gets elected makes $200,000? How would that change the outcome?

Did the opposing side do anything illegal? Please do not bring up the immoral or inappropriate ways this played out. Maybe looking at how that fire district conducts its business and the damage it causes on daily basis if you want to see immorality and inappropriate behavior.

A lot of people chimed in and put in their two cents. You know who the only true losers will be? The members that serve the district and public. The drama and "payback" that I am sure is already in the works and the toll it will take on members with dissenting opinions will be far reaching and those who have targets on their backs, who already have lost friendships, who have already suffered and who still struggle to find a reason to serve and do the right thing will lose again.

The fact is the Somers Fire District is in terrible shape. It is a sinking ship with its crew members busy fighting each other and looking out for their own interests and egos as boat goes down. If it wasnt for the fact that REAL people will die and property will be lost this would be a great TV show. Its a bad movie where real people suffer.

Jim Arena is a great person. A friend. A man I know I could count on anytime, anyplace, anywhere. He is well respected and liked among the people, even among the ones that did vote against him last night.

By the way. Do you have proof that the other candidate started any of those rumors, made any of those emails, or did any of those appalling things you say they did?

Or are you just as guilty of spreading vicious, outrageous and false claims as the person you so vehmently despise?

A lot of people chimed in and put in their two cents. You know who the only true losers will be? The members that serve the district and public. The drama and "payback" that I am sure is already in the works and the toll it will take on members with dissenting opinions will be far reaching and those who have targets on their backs, who already have lost friendships, who have already suffered and who still struggle to find a reason to serve and do the right thing will lose again.

The fact is the Somers Fire District is in terrible shape. It is a sinking ship with its crew members busy fighting each other and looking out for their own interests and egos as boat goes down. If it wasnt for the fact that REAL people will die and property will be lost this would be a great TV show. Its a bad movie where real people suffer.

What amazes me is at this point, with the way they're burning the candle at both ends of extremely low, inexperienced manpower, and low member turnout on calls, that the state hasn't stepped in and said enough is enough before a disaster happens. The District has already basically come out and stated, indirectly, that they don't think the experience in the ranks in good enough to run the department successfully by adding a line item in the budget for a career chief.

Please. Admit it. He was a sacrificial lamb who was clearly retaliated against from a small minority of members who are scared of the future of the district and how it affects them and their egos, NOT the public they serve.. The way the members who went after him went about it unethically and unfairly. If they wanted him out, why couldn't they run a fair campaign against him, instead of a coordinated, sneaky, last minute, write in vote tactic? Explain that.

Flashpoint and HalfVolley like this

I don't see why everyone is calling this a sneak attack, if write ins were considered sneaky then why are they allowed? It seems to me that the people of Somers both members and non members felt there needed to be a change in the board of fire commissioners and exercised their civil rights to vote for anyone they chose to. Everyone here is talking about this as if they are members of the Somers fire department and know what goes on there but except for one commenter it doesn't appear to be that way.

I don't see why everyone is calling this a sneak attack, if write ins were considered sneaky then why are they allowed?

WHY is the question. WHY did that person have to go that route? Not so much the write in ballot, but at the very last minute. WHY was false info put out there? WHY did they not want to campaign for votes? Just ask yourself that and think about how that may look.

Flashpoint and HalfVolley like this

In speaking to people in Somers I am fairly certain this had nothing to do with Jim who is a widely respected member of the community and board. It simply had to do with people wanting a change and this was the seat that was potentially available. I completely agree that putting out false information is wrong but I would not automatically assume it was the person who won the seat who did it. It could have been anyone with their own agenda. I would think someone could openly ask the person who did win if they had anything do to with the false information put out.

I see a lot of people talking here and from what i see all are anonymous, Well I am not i am an ex chief past commissioner of the Somers F.D., residents both member and non members of the F.D, felt it was time for a change. Unfortunately the petition time was missed so we had to do a write in which is 100% legal and a voters right. The people who backed the candidate are tired of the way the Somers Fire District is doing things , You can speculate all you want here but unless you are in the department and live it you don't know.To say the upcoming Chief is not qualified is a bunch of crap!!! The person next in line to be chief holds all of the qualifications required by the SFD and then some. He is also a certified fire inspector and holds the qualifications to be a building inspector. He is currently, and no disrespected intended to the other two chiefs, the ONLY qualified INTERIOR firefighter " bailout certified" in the chiefs office. The qualification he lacks is butt kissing 101 as he stands up for the members and what he believes. The fire district has done some very questionable unethical things recently. Which is why it was time to change the board the person elected id the first in a long time non member of the / a fire department. So a different and open minded perspective can be brought in. I wish her the best of luck and will happily support her.

Critic, GAW6, cfd66910 and 7 others like this

Sounds like what Somers needs is strong, polarizing leadership. Someone to bring the department back together. Sad to see a department like this always embroiled in some sort of drama. Thanks to the people who posted the truth behind the story.

cfd66910 and unleashedff248 like this

There's far more than meets the eye on this. You want to figure out why there's manpower issues look to the district. The Chiefs are doing the best they can with what they're given. They're all dedicated and competent individuals with many years of experience.

To some degree. There are still many active and dedicated individuals who keep the department running, though some indeed fit your description.

What amazes me is at this point, with the way they're burning the candle at both ends of extremely low, inexperienced manpower, and low member turnout on calls, that the state hasn't stepped in and said enough is enough before a disaster happens. The District has already basically come out and stated, indirectly, that they don't think the experience in the ranks in good enough to run the department successfully by adding a line item in the budget for a career chief.

From what I understand the situation is being misrepresented in the media. It is not that bad that the State would intervene. There are still many experienced and active members in the department. However due to political issues some members avoid taking leadership positions.

Something does need to be done about the infighting and ingroup/outgroup BS going on though. An aligned and cooperative District and Chief's Office/Department would be a great start. Hopefully something can be done soon.

GAW6 likes this