Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Viper

The Never Ending Vehicle Fire

7 posts in this topic

F500 anyone?

It happened on Hillside Avenue in Garden City Park, New York (Nassau County on Long Island). After two handlines and at least three fire extinguishers the vehicle was still burning when the video stopped at the 14-minute mark.

Edited by Viper

That's a tiny car. It can't have that big of a fuel tank. I wonder why the fire was so stubborn?

F500 anyone?

Excuse my ignorance, but what's that?

Sometimes they can be stubborn. I recently had a similar incident where it kept up. Dry Chem is the way to go, but if it doesnt hit the source it wont knock it out. Fuel lines that are running through the chassis and are damaged can conceal the fire. as additional gas drops down it will relight. Someone needs to get low and look for that spot and aim the dry chem up into the chassis. Deflecting under works to knock it down but wont get it 100% .

x635 likes this

When things are not going swimmingly at a car fire, foam is often the solution

I first thought that F500 was a Ford pick up, then I recalled that it is a recently developed extinguishing agent. I do not know if it's use has become popular, from what I saw it seemed to have promise.

x635 likes this

I first thought that F500 was a Ford pick up, then I recalled that it is a recently developed extinguishing agent. I do not know if it's use has become popular, from what I saw it seemed to have promise.

My department mixed F500 in all of our water cans. The stuff works wonders!

As far as this fire, it looks like a fuel line burnt off. A CO2 extinguisher can also be used effectively in this situation, especially if you take a foam extinguisher or F500 and get some into the gas tank itself.

EmsFirePolice likes this