LineCapt

Police: Saugerties firefighter died from inhaling 'superheated gases'

4 posts in this topic

I guess there will be more to come with the NIOSH report.

Police: Mount Marion firefighter died from inhaling 'superheated gases'

SAUGERTIES - Saugerties Police Chief Joseph Sinagra has released a statement on the fire which resulted in the death of Mount Marion volunteer firefighter Jack Rose. The fire on Dec. 19 was at 11 Fel Qui Road in the town of Saugerties:

"The investigations into the events leading up to the death of Mount Marion Firefighter (Captain) Jack Rose is still under investigation. The cause of death however, has been determined to be result of the inhalation of superheated gases, leading to irreversible respiratory failure, subsequently resulting in cardiac arrest. Saugerties Police Detectives in collaboration with investigators from the state Department of Labor are continuing their investigation."

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20160121/NEWS/160129856

Westfield12 likes this

Poor kid. Horrible way to die.

Very interested in the training records for him and those in the fire with him.

Mind you, it could happen to any of us. Experienced FDNY guys have been found with air in their tanks and face pieces removed or regulators removed.

Sucks all around, for sure.

Poor kid. Horrible way to die.

Very interested in the training records for him and those in the fire with him.

Mind you, it could happen to any of us. Experienced FDNY guys have been found with air in their tanks and face pieces removed or regulators removed.

Sucks all around, for sure.

My understandings is there are at least 3 investigations.

NYS PESH. I'm sure they will be looking into the training records. They recently cited a volunteer fire department for not training their officers to a higher level as is required in the fire brigade standard.

OFPC. They were doing the cause and origin. Not sure if they looked at anything else.

NIOSH They are quite busy. That report will probably take a while.

Westfield12 and dwcfireman like this

With no other info I would just note that any one of us will pull off our mask when we run out of air. They listed the cause of death, not the circumstance that lead to it.