Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gomer

Valhalla or Volholla?

5 posts in this topic

I have always heard Valhalla dispatched as "Valhalla". But recently, some dispatchers have been dispatching it as "Volholla". Any reason for the pronunciation change?

Westfield12 likes this

It's about professionalism, standards, and supervision, or lack thereof, and this reflects on the organization as a whole that this is acceptable behavior. This is not the first time something like this has occurred (Squuuaaad 15), and not the first time someone has called in and their terminology has been rephrased by the dispatcher to sound more "buffy". What would happen if the dispatcher decided to dispatch decided to pronounce street names his or her own personal way, and units went to the wrong address? When you have a voice that everyone is listening to, you are in the public eye. As a dispatcher myself, this would never fly in my organization, and the Chiefs of our agency would not find it acceptable. It's ok to sneak in humor here and there when appropriate, but the initial dispatch should be consistent and professional agency wide. What happens to a callers confidence if their town is mispronounced? Or the responders in that town that their name is being mocked? Dispatchers have to work extra hard to gain respect, and it takes one bad apple to ruin the whole bunch's reputation.

vwwh1, rob zombie, LineCapt and 7 others like this

I envision someone dispatching Valhalla while trying to simulate Howard Stern's "WNBC" in "Private Parts...."

BFD2553 likes this