Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

EMS Turnout Gear

5 posts in this topic

Something that strikes me is very few EMS agencies in the area have turnout gear issued to each member, including a helmet and googles. These aren't only good for pin jobs, but fire scenes, WMD and HazMat jobs, people in the woods, abandoned buildings, tech rescues, etc. We all get by on that old, non fitting, non compliant gear thrown in a compartment. But there is gear made for EMS, without the bulky structural firefighting stuff since it isn't need, making it much more lightweight.

Is there some sort of mandate that could be made countywide that all EMS Agencies must have EMS style turnout gear? But I figure if it was a county or state mandate, it would be unfunded. I know a lot of EMS Agencies are revolving doors, and that would cause an issue.

My next question on this issue...if an EMT or Paramedic need to get into a heavily damaged vehicle to treat a patient, do we let them without any sort of PPE? My opinion...we don't have an option in that situation.

Westfield12, trauma74 and AFS1970 like this

28 minutes ago, Quickness said:

It would rarely be used. Waste of money.

How so? 

x635 likes this

7 hours ago, Quickness said:

It would rarely be used. Waste of money.

Please explain. Any EMS agency that is treating a patient involved in any type of hazardous situation should be provided with the proper PPE.

x635 likes this

A friend of mine in NJ is part of an EMS Squad in NJ, they issue gear to all members. I know they get a coat, pants and helmets. I don't think they get any special boots or shoes. They use dark blue, and I think it is water proof as well as BBP resistant. As home responders they wear the gear on most if not all calls as it also serves as a uniform.