Flashpoint

Should Con Ed Pay For Gas Meters?

5 posts in this topic

With the giant increase in gas and assist Con Ed calls over the past few years,  I think Con-Ed be responsible for purchasing and maintaining gas meters for departments, or providing grants for departments to do so. Am I wrong?

Local municipalities need to decide what equipment is right for them. For Con Ed to take on a project of obtaining meters, distributing them, training people, and providing ongoing maintenance and support would be a huge undertaking. It does have it's benefits, one being everyone is on the same level with the same device (which can be a double edged sword).

I do believe the best way for this is for Con Ed to issue grants to departments to fund natural gas metering devices, and the research into better devices more suited for the fire services needs. Everybody's call volume has literally, and excuse the pun, exploded with gas investigations. A lot of this has to do with Con Ed, and whatever you want to label as the reason for these calls.....aging infrastructure, extreme precaution, constant construction, poor code enforcement, whatever. But it is their system we are responding to, and assisting, on a daily basis, something they are paid to maintain.

Why should Con Ed be responsible for buying equipment for the FD's? 

FD's need to be responsible for their own equipment in their own districts.

nfdcanman and BBBMF like this

3 hours ago, Dinosaur said:

Why should Con Ed be responsible for buying equipment for the FD's? 

For the same reason they bought us hot sticks.

11 hours ago, CaptainCharisma said:

For the same reason they bought us hot sticks.

When did they buy you hot sticks?  I thought they didn't want us messing with them and actually recalled them all?

nydude2473 likes this