Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

You Think You Know 60 Control, But You Have No Idea

10 posts in this topic

Recently, I've seen a couple members make negative comments about 60 Control, which have since been deleted since negative comments are not tolerated.

One of the things that bothers me most in the Westchester County Fire Service is the way some people think about dispatchers, and how underappricated and misunderstood their job is, especially in a county as fragmented and complicated as Westchester.

Remember, the field agencies are just as much a part of the problem, if not the root of the problem. How can 60 Control do there jobs properly when each department has to do things thier own way and on thier own frequency? The 4 on duty at 60 Control have to monitor over 30 different frequencies 24/7, numerous phone lines, and know the distinct and individual protocol for each agency in this county, because nothing is standard. If we work together to standardize our operations, and 60 Control/DES upgrade staffing, equipment, and facilty-wise, 60 can absolutely handle the whole county. Those who say "It Is Not Possible" are those holding this county back, and those who probaly are still driving a Ford Model T "because it works".

I found this editorial from an excellent site, www.firefighterclosecalls.com, and it's definetly worth a read.

Please read this article.

Hey...

One of the most forgotten but critical "links" in a decent fire or emergency operation is communications. Duh. But one area that is even more critical are the dispatchers involved in the operation. Dispatchers are, in many cases, forgotten about and generally, taken for granted. Who hasn't been in a firehouse discussion where "those damn dispatchers" are always responsible for everything that went wrong on a fire scene or related response?

Years ago, I was a boss in a pretty large fire & EMS emergency communications center and there were a few EMS supervisors in the field that thought that their poop didn't stink. It did. But-our dispatchers could do nothing right...until those supervisors had to spend some time actually IN the emergency communications center. And then, what happened after that? They were still clueless morons. Yeah-ya thought I was gonna say "they saw the light" or "they really understood the challenges of dispatching and became our biggest supporters" or something like that? No-not a chance...not those clowns-but it did point out how close minded they were to truly understanding what fire and EMS dispatchers actually have to do-in order to get the call processed-and managed while the call is in progress.

Sure-some dispatchers have no clue-just like some of us in the field. The difference is-everything a dispatcher has to do is tracked, monitored, heard, taped, recorded, reviewed and under the scrutiny of anyone with a radio. It would be like if someone followed us around all day in the field-listening to and watching every single one of our actions in the field....THAT would be a real treat, huh? Can you imagine everything a firefighter or an officer says and does being listened to and watched the entire time we are on duty? Of course, there are some FD's where cameras and tape recorders HAVE been placed w/o anyone knowing-but that's another fun story for another day.

It seems that everyone with a radio, monitor or scanner knows how "those damn dispatchers" oughta be doing the job. Of course we do.

Not taking anything away from what we do in the field, the fact is that functioning as a dispatcher is a high stress responsibility as well....a different kind of stress, but still stressful. Dealing with the parent of a drowning child, speaking to a child whose parent just beat the crap out of the other or "us" yelling and screaming over the radio because the power company hasn't arrived quick enough for "arcing wires in a tree" or......listening to a caller cry and scream as they observe people trapped in a nightclub fire----requires cool, calm and professional action. Kinda like firefighting. Sometimes it happens-sometimes it doesn't.

When it all comes out in the end-our dispatchers are really the "first responders" in dealing with those who need us. They are our first point of contact in the "link of events" that are needed to make something bad become something not so bad. If your FD is the best trained and best staffed-none of that matters if the same attention isn't paid to the communications center personnel. Some communities get it-most don't. Unfortunately-many dispatch centers and their personnel are ignored when it comes to training, staffing and pay-but when things go wrong, are the first to take it in the ass-terisk.

In West Warwick, Rhode Island-the dispatchers had their hands full as the first people to have to deal with "The Station" Nightclub Fire....it was clear within seconds that a tragedy was unfolding-as the firefighters then found out minutes later. Go to:

http://www.turnto10.com/news/2616632/detail.html

Some of the radio traffic from the Station Nightclub Fire is available there....absolutely incredible. Take a listen....and also think about your dispatch center, how they would handle it and what their training, staffing and related levels are-or are gonna be, when they get a call like this-or for a more standard call, such as a working dwelling fire, a non-breather or a multi victim crash.

Kinda like firefighter and FD preparedness-dispatcher and communication center preparedness, staffing, training and compensation (to insure competent and qualified folks work there) is probably better off when taken care of before the incident-as opposed to after an incident, when everyone and their brother is scrutinizing the operation. Just like we cry, whine and ******* cause "the public doesn't understand what we do"...OUR dispatchers probably feel the same about us.

Take Care,

BillyG

The Secret List 11-7-03 1030 Hours

FirefighterCloseCalls.com

Nice post. This is why I bring all my FF 1 and 2 students any any other class with a comm portion into that room to see what they deal with. Phones...sick people, people under stress, stupid people...and then all the same types on the radio. Kind of funny how dutchess can handle it...why? because they dicatate how the communications is handled and on what freq's. Go sit in a chair where your damned if you do, damned if you don't. "Why didn't they just send this?" Because the last time they did they got screamed at for making a common sense decision. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Our communications is the way it is because instead of coming up with solutions...there are those whom have to have it their way and rather argue over blue light laws instead of your safety. Or complain that there aren't enough FF1 courses despite having the most in the state given.

On behalf of Putnam 911, thank you ... Thank You ... THANK YOU!!!!

PC414

Great post, something that should be posted in everyones firehouse and Ambulance Station. Most of us should go and sit in a chair at 60 for a few hours and see what really goes on before we even get toned out.

If you've never sat in and watched what goes on duing a shift at 60 Control, you cannot and donot have the right to comment. I had the pleasure of spending a few hours there reuniting with an old friend who works there. Watching the process when calls come and to when they are dispatched. There is much involved/ Making sure the right department is notified. how many towns in this county have the same or similar street names, a call comes in for 1234 Main St. What town? Or 1234 Main, is it street, lane, drive etc. When people call they are sometimes not 100% with it, could be stree because whatever call it is they are involved, could be many reasons they are rushing the info. Also lets face it, not everyone in this county speaks perfect english. Many on this board can't spell. Info has to be entered in the system, dispatched, followed up, radio's have to be acknowledged. Then there is the radio trafic. XXFD is out on the road on a drill and talking on the radio and over calls. 2, 3 or 4 calls are going on at the same time on 46.26 and 60 control has to keep everything sorted out.

Let me tell you, THEY DO A GREAT JOB. I couldn't do it. I don't have the patience to keep everything straight. ](*,)

Great post, something that should be posted in everyones firehouse and Ambulance Station.  Most of us should go and sit in a chair at 60 for a few hours and see what really goes on before we even get toned out.

If you're really interested in sitting at 60 for a shift or two, I will be more then happy to give you my schedule and you can cover it for me. =D>

All kidding aside, before I worked there I just thought it was "answer the phone and radios." Over the 3 years I've been down here, I have learned so much and have earned a lot of respect for many of you in the field. But, I know that not all of you will agree, but our local PD's deserve some credit too. They generally operate with one officer on the desk to handle PD, FD, EMS. I know in our village that if we get a busy day, this poor guy is taking a beating. The Sgt. working during the Summerfest deserves a big pat on the back - despite any hardships any of us may of had in the past. It was one of the Village's busiest days, and he handled it well!

Let me be the First to say Hats off to the 60 Dispatchers, You all do a Great Job !!! I realize it's impossible to please everyone. My intentions in my post were not really to bash the People that work for 60. It was to suggest a better approach to dispatching inreference to doing EMD. I too have done Emergency Dispatching for different agencies and I know all about the politics and such working with so many different agencies. So I'm sorry If someone got their nose or noses out of joint. You do a better job at 60 then some other places around the county. Hats off!! Thank you

MASTEREMT

I must say the people in that office do a great job. But right now they dont have to handle the entire county's comunications. If they did im sure more staffing/expansion would be done to accomodate this. Maybe someone that works there or has an expertise in the area could answer the question as to whether or not they could handle the entire county if need be. I do aplogize if it was answered in the previous replies I may have missed it.

Once again hats off to those behind the phones/computers/radios. Thank you all.

I'm with you Bob, From Putnam 911, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

PC-420