x635

NY makes it illegal to speed past garbage trucks

8 posts in this topic

A good law to have on the books.

ALBANY -- As of Tuesday, it will be illegal to speed past sanitation vehicles.

By classifying garbage trucks and waste collection vehicles as “hazard vehicles,” New York is now the 12th state to enact a ”Slow Down to Get Around” law, which builds off of the preexisting “Move Over”

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/local/new-york/2016/10/31/ny-makes-illegal-speed-past-garbage-trucks/93081054/

BFD1054 and Westfield12 like this

A good idea,now maybe sanitation trucks in the largest city in westchester will do likewise... and obey traffic laws....don't misunderstand....they do a great job...and a necessary job ....my opinion

Westfield12 and EmsFirePolice like this

As someone who works Sanitation, this is news to my ears.

Even in the tiny Village of Buchanan, people drive like complete a$$holes with no regard to anyone else. 

When I drive, I try my best to make it as safe as possible for the guys on the back. No matter what, it just seems people can't wait 30 seconds...

link to the CSEA's website with further info;

https://cseany.org/sanitation-safety/

Westfield12 and x635 like this

23 hours ago, rfdu39 said:

Interesting that the article says that it only applies to rear loaders.  It should cover all garbage trucks.

If I had to guess, the new law applies to rear loaders because this type of waste collection requires people to be in/on and out/off the truck to load the waste.  Hence, the law is aimed to protect the people working around the vehicle, as such the "move over" law does for emergency and service vehicles on the side of the road.  A side loader with an automated arm should be treated with the same caution, but does not have people outside or around the vehicle (unless there is a malfunction).

15 hours ago, BFD1054 said:

The hard part will be enforcement...

This is the hard part OVERALL with the "move over" law.  Unless there is a police officer free and sees the offense, there is going to be no proactive enforcement.  However, if you hit a sanitation worker who is outside of the vehicle, you are definitely going to have the extra infraction against you.

x635 likes this

“All this is doing is desensitizing the public to law and will create non-compliance even more than there already is.” - Jason Arturi

Apparently Mr. Arturi doesn't realize that once drivers start being cited for the infraction, the supposed intent of the law will shortly follow.  And, it seems that he believes that laws have an adverse effect on drivers, a thought that I believe is untrue.  Albeit, many sanitation trucks generally consume more than the lane they are traveling or stopped in, which is out of an abundance of safety to slow traffic down, the law will only take full effect when motorists start being cited for the infractions.  This will be the same effect from when the "Move Over" law was first enacted in 2012.  It will take some time before everyone starts to slow down and move to the other side, but it will work.