Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikerabbit

Question about Furnaces.

4 posts in this topic

Question about Furnaces. Can a gas furnace be fueled by propane. Is con-edisons gas the same as propane what is the difference?

Mike

Last I checked--ConEd delivers Natural gas--like most utilities. Propane is usually delivered to the site via bobtail. My complex has propane heat and such--each building has ( 2) 500 gallon tanks outside each building piped and metered at the side of each unit. NYSEG does not serve the area with natural gas. If I am not mistaken-you can convert gas appliances to LP or vice versa) by changing the jets or nozzles. I had this done in both my stove, dryer, water heater, and furnace.

I am fairly certain that is how it goes--

Con Edison provides natural gas, which is different from propane.

But yes, there are furnaces available which burn propane. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Gas" and then look for propane companies in your area. I think most appliances that burn natural gas can also come in propane models. I'm not sure about converting to propane though...

Personally, if you are looking at propane heat, look also at oil...

Yes, you can convert a gas furnace to propane. It requires the use of a pressure regulator. It should be done by a qualified plumber.