Welcome to EMTBravo.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Viper

Millions in tax dollars misspent by Yonkers firefighters union

8 posts in this topic

Tax Watch columnist David McKay Wilson uncovered the little-known two-percent fund that Yonkers Fire Department has been misspending for decades.

The Yonkers firefighters union has spent more than $10 million in state taxpayer funds over the past five decades in violation of state law.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/2017/07/06/tax-watch-yonkers-firefighters/451321001/

Don't believe i would trust the state or the city to administer the funds what's your opinion???

FDNY 10-75 likes this

The mayor refers to the money as "Taxpayer money"...the 2% money is tax money collected from the insurance industry...not the taxpayers of New York State....

Dinosaur and dwcfireman like this

1 hour ago, fire patrol nyc said:

The mayor refers to the money as "Taxpayer money"...the 2% money is tax money collected from the insurance industry...not the taxpayers of New York State....

And where do you think the insurance companies get that money from, Narnia? The cost is paid by the property owners paying their insurance.

11 hours ago, somebuffyguy said:

And where do you think the insurance companies get that money from, Narnia? The cost is paid by the property owners paying their insurance.

If there wasn't a 2% tax, would the "taxpayer" have any say on what the insurance companies did with their money, once they pay their bill?

Danger likes this

This is not unique to Yonkers.  Where does all the 2% money go everywhere else????

dwcfireman likes this

On 7/15/2017 at 11:58 PM, Dinosaur said:

This is not unique to Yonkers.  Where does all the 2% money go everywhere else????

The majority of departments spend the 2% funding wisely and within the guidelines of the NYS Insurance Law (refer to my previous post).  Unfortunately, it's not common knowledge as to what is appropriate to spend the money on as prescribed by the law.  I will admit, partly due to this article, I really didn't understand the measures of the 2% funding until I did some research on it.  Still, some of the language is a bit vague and left up to interpretation, so I can see where the law is misinterpreted when it states that the money is to be spent on "the firefighters and their families."

This issue, if I recall correctly, recently came up with the Hartsdale FD.  I believe it's a similar situation where the law was interpreted or unknown to the company's financial directors, and there were questions about how the money was being spent.