WPFD Ladder 34

5 posts in this topic

Did the City of White Plains shut down ladder 34? I've been out of the loop. 

Edited by 210
Spelling

Last I heard the rig was subject to being browned out.  In other posts on this site, it seemed as if it was browned out more than it was in service.  Not sure how WPFD maintains an ISO rating of 1 when it has a truck company that is frequently unable to respond.

19 hours ago, mfc2257 said:

Not sure how WPFD maintains an ISO rating of 1 when it has a truck company that is frequently unable to respond.

Because ISO isn't about firefighting ability or even capability, it's about meeting textbook benchmarks and checking the box. I've seen a good number of ISO Class 1 rated FDs burn buildings to the ground on a regular basis. But hey at least the residents benefit from the rating in their premiums.

Billy, AFS1970, Morningjoe and 1 other like this

And don't forget that Charleston (SC) FD was an ISO Class 1 Department under the leadership of Chief Rusty and at the time of the Super Sofa store fire. 

FFPCogs likes this

Remember that a Thermal Imaging Camera is equivalent to an Oxyacetylene torch in ISO. I seem to remember borrowing a nozzle that was a spare in a nearby department and taking a picture of it on our engines as part of an appeal.  We then passed that nozzle around to a couple of other departments before returning it to the shelf it was kept on in a maintenance garage. ISO is the main reason the Navy Nozzle stayed in service (although I like it for other reasons).