RareHunter

Another odd unit, this one from Germany.

5 posts in this topic

Industrial rig at Merck in Darmstadt Germany. Merck is a German chemical  and pharmaceutical corporation 

Year: 2006   Manufacturer: Mercedes-Benz   Country: Germany

Merck Darmstadt Mercedes Rosenbauer

2-27 TroTLF Mercedes-Benz 3535/Rosenbauer DA-EM 241 1993

One of two Industrial Engines. The nickname is Iguana

Here's some basic info:

Chassis: MB 3535
Bodywork: Rosenbauer (the cab itself was modified by Eller GmbH)
Manufactured: 1993

Water tank: 4000 l
Foam tank: 4000 l
ABC dry powder: 3000 kg
CO2: 300 kg

Pump output: 6000 lpm @ 8 bar

The crew cab in the middle of the bodywork has 4 seats (facing backwards, with BA sets fitted into the backrests). One additional BA set is mounted in the driver's cab. The water tank (and presumably the foam tank as well) is situated behind the crew cab, above the rear axels. A hosereel is mounted in the pump locker, above the pump's control panel. The powder and CO2 tanks are installed above the two front axles. There are 4 hosereels behind the driver's cab, 2 for each agent, on both sides (the smaller one for CO2 and the larger one for powder). There are two roof monitors. The vehicle is also fitted with a 'shower' system (decontamination purposes? the German description didn't say what it is for exactly!).

LayTheLine, boca1day, vodoly and 1 other like this

Very unique piece of apparatus.

My question is: with a pair of front axles so close together, I assume that it must be a twin-steer axle. If not, the turning radius must be horrible. To top it off it's a cab-forward so I would think learning to drive it and to really get a feel for it must take some practice. Any thoughts?

Edited by LayTheLine

46 minutes ago, LayTheLine said:

Very unique piece of apparatus.

My question is: with a pair of front axles so close together, I assume that it must be a twin-steer axle. If not, the turning radius must be horrible. To top it off it's a cab-forward so I would think learning to drive it and to really get a feel for it must take some practice. Any thoughts?

I would agree, although if I remember correctly almost all Germans have to do compulsory military service, so I'm sure more than a few have driven vehicles similar to this. 

Definitely twin steer. 

I would venture a real good guess that the "shower" system is referring to underbody sprinklers and all around sprinklers to be able to drive over hot materials? 

FFPCogs likes this