Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Westchester Fire Trivia

178 posts in this topic

57Truck got Jeep 2 right with Goldens Bridge, and Chris498 got Jeep 1 right fro Millwood

Nice work Rescue 20 on the Mack from Somers..... but I think (I could be wrong) that Millwod has you beat on the second one...... 1957 Mack B was engine 246? Either way, nice darts!

OK, My question is still out there for Engine 134 and 135. Any takers?

Peekskill FD Engine 134 is Peekskill Fire Patrol.

Fire / Rescue.

Peekskill FD Engine 135 is Peekskill Reserve number.

We have not had an Engine 135 in at least 10 years.

To my knowledge we have always been assigned that

reserve number, I could be wrong but I know it goes back

to the early 80's maybe more....

Heres a good one:

Tower Ladder 57 aka 57truck replaced what truck, what year was the truck that it replaced and what was the first mutual aid call that 57truck did when it was first placed in service???

Snorkle 1 1970 FWD/Young/Pitman Snorkle 85ft. Replaced a 1939 WLF Quad...... first mutual aid..... King Lumber in Goldens Bridge or South Salem Pres. Church.... ???

As far as Engine 134 and 135, they were not always Peekskill's numbers. When the county first started designating apparatus back in the late 30's, 134 and 135 belonged to another Dept, and my question was which dept and what apparatus was assigned to each?

As far as 57Truck's question- Snorkel 1, 1970, and I'm guessing on it's first Mutual Aid was to Mt. Kisco.

Close chris498- Snorkel 1 was a FWD/Young/Pitman Snorkle 85ft but it was a 1968 not 1970.

57truck's first mutual aid call was to Mohegan for a 10-75

According to somersvfd.com, E134 was assigned to Somers FD. A picture on the site looks like a '40's ALF. An old County apparatus list I inherited lists E134,135,136 to Mohegan.

Can't confirm either.

New Question. :shock:

What Westchester FD 's used the Below listed Radio call signs.

Most are Retired numbers when FCC Licence was renewed.

Some are just not heard due to DES dispatching the department.

KBS999

KLD812 This was PD dispatch on 46.26

WQO555

KEF213

KBR359

KCP575

KTV688

KTV687 & 689

Bonus -- What did Eastchester FD use only on 33.96mgz. to Dispatch?

KTV 687 FURNACE WOODS

KTV 689 JEFFERSON VALLEY BOTH MOHEGAN FD

MOHEGAN NEVER HAD ANY OF THOSE NUMBERS THEY WERE ALWAYS IN THE 250'SERIES

THEY'RE FIRST WAS 250 A CHEVY PUMPER 251 A MACK PUMPER

AND 252 AN OREN PUMPER

MORE TRIVIA DOES ANYONE KNOW THE NUMBER OF THE RESCUE TRUCK THAT MOHEGAN FD OWNED IN THE FIFTIES AND IT WAS NOT AN AMBULANCE AN ACTUAL RESCUE TRUCK.

E134 and E135 were assigned to KEC625 Somers - And I thought the first actual Tanker designation was Continental Village who WAS Tanker 1 but GBFD somehow got that # and CVFD has T11. Res20cue - the answer for my question - close but no cigar... check Dept. Lists for the real answer "K"

Good Job, JM-

Engine 134 and 135 were originally assigned to Somers. They were Somers' first 2 engines when the county started designating apparatus.

E-134 was a 1940 Diamond "T"/Sealand and was re-designated E-180 when we went to the 180's in 1958, and was assigned to Granite Springs (and for any of you SPAAMFAA members, it should be appearing in an article in Enjine!-Enjine! shortly),

E-135 was a 1943 Ford/ "Somers-built" was was re-sesignated E-185 when we went to the 180's, and was assigned to Somers hamlet.

You are also correct on Tanker 1 and 11. Cont Village originally had Tanker 1, they also had different Engine numbers, but some Coordinator years back, thought of CV as more a Putnam Dept and stripped thier Westchester #'s, so GBFD got Tanker 1, and CV got Tanker 11 when "they returned to Westchester".

But Somers still had the first Tanker in Westchester in 1946, before Westchester had Tanker designations.

KBS999- North Tarrytown

KLD812- Ossining

WQO555- ????

KEF213- Portchester

KBR359- Eastchester

KCP575- Peekskill

KTV688- West Harrison

KTV687/689- Mohegan (JV & Furnace Woods)

Bonus- KRV295

Mohegans Rescue, I don't know the # but I think it was a 1939 Diamond T Rescue they got from Croton FD...... and what about the 1920's LaFrance pumper (type 75)? What number was that assigned to?

KCP-575 is no longer Peekskill FD.

Our new call letters are WPUT-402.

BE SAFE! :D

Seeing how I got the Call Letter question right, Here's my question-

The Town of Mamaroneck uses Engine 51 as it's first due Engine, which is a 1979 Seagrave. Prior to 1979, what apparatus was used as first due and what was it's designation.

BONUS- The other 2 Engines are 36 and 37, Why are all 3 not in sequence?

The old first due engine was an old W.L.F. Quad.... 1950's era, I don't know the number.

Good Job Chris,

Yes indeed, the first due was Quad 5, a 1950 Ward La France 85T Quad. Hence the Bonus- Eng 36, 37, Quad 4, Lad 19, when the Quad went, and the 3rd "triple" came in- Eng 51.

Here is a tough one for all of you. For Yonkers FD, back in the Late 1960's and into the Early To Mid Seventies, match up the Engine Company with the Respective "Truck" (Now Ladder) company that it was housed/quartered with (If the Engine Company was housed alone - mark housed alone):

Engine 2 (302) - Off Ashburton Ave -

Engine 3 (303) - Vark Street -

Engine 4 (304) - Radford Street -

Engine 5 (305) - School Street -

Engine 6 (306) - Oak Street -

Engine 7 (307) - So. Central Ave -

Engine 8 (308) - Off Warburton Ave -

Engine 9 (309) - Shonnard Place -

Engine 10 (310) - Saw Mill River Road -

Engine 11 (311) - Bronxville Road -

Engine 12 (312) - Fortfield Avenue -

Engine 13 (313) - Kimball Avenue -

Engine 14 (314) - No. Central Ave -

Truck 1 (Now TL71)

Truck 2 (Now L72)

Truck 3 (Was Then L76)

Truck 4 (Now Ladder 74)

Truck 5 (Now TL75)

Truck 6 (Now L73)

Truck 7 (Now L70)

Bonus - Where was the Old Rescue One Quartered?

1971 Line-up:

Station 1- Engine 1, Truck 1, Resuce 1, Engine 3

Station 2- Engine 2, Truck 2 (Vineyard Ave)

Station 4-Engine 4, Ladder 4

Station 6- Engine 6

Station 7-Engine 7

Station 8-Engine 8

Station 9-Engine 9

Station 10- Engine 10

Station 11- Engine 11, Ladder 3

Station 12- Engine 12, Ladder 5

Station 13- Engine 13, Ladder 6

Station 14- Engine 14, Ladder 7

Groundbreaking for new Station 3 on Vark St. was in August 1971.

Rescue 1-Station 1 5-7 New School St.

For you: Where was the old Station 3 before Vark St.?

You'll know the answer because you were most likely on the job back then. :-)

Well, before the New Station 3 on Vark Street Opened in 1971, Engine 3 was quartered at Fire Headquarters on School Street. However, Engine 3 did have its own station on Riverdale Avenue in the Early 1900's. Since you mentioned 1971, let's see how good your memory is (Since I was working with YFD back then). Let's see if you remember the "Type/Manufacturer" of Apparatus for each back in 1971 (And I will help you out with "Some" of the answers - You can fill in the rest):

Engine 1 = 1971 ALF 1000 GPM Pumper

Engine 2 =

Engine 3 =

Engine 4 = 1968 Mack 1000 GPM Pumper

Engine 6 =

Engine 7 = 1961 Ward LaFrance 1000 GPM Pumper

Engine 8 =

Engine 9 =

Engine 10 = 1958 Ward LaFrance 1000 GPM Pumper

Engine 11 = 1956 Ward LaFrance 1000 GPM Pumper

Engine 12 = 1959 ALF 1000 GPM Pumper

Engine 13 = 1956 Ward LaFrance 1000 GPM Pumper

Engine 14 =

Truck 1 = 1970 ALF 100ft Ladder Truck

Truck 2 =

Truck 3 = 1959 ALF 100ft Ladder Truck

Truck 4 =

Truck 5 = 1959 ALF 100ft Ladder Truck

Truck 6 =

Truck 7 =

Rescue 1 = 1957 Mack Box Style Rescue Unit (State of the Art Back Then)

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!

I'll give you this, so far:

Engine 1-1967 Mack C95

Engine 2-1971 ALF (originally assigned to E-1)

Engine 4-1968 Mack C95 (second part of the order with E-1)

Engine 8-1961 Ward

Engine 13- I have as a '58 Ward

Engine 14-1958 ALF

Ladder 1- 1968 Closed cab ALF (first closed cab ladder)

Ladder 5- 1958 Open Cab w/hood, I believe later replaced with an open cab tiller.

From 1956-1958, Yonkers purchased all ALF mid mount 100ft ladders. Three Ward pumpers were bought in 1961. Aside from this and what's listed, the white cab/red body ALF mid mount was delivered in 1972 and went to, I believe, three different co's over time, including 76, 72 and 70.

Take this: Yonkers purchased a used engine from a Westchester department prior to 1975 and placed it in service. Which department? (this should be easy for you).

P.S. Sorry, this isn't based on memory-I wasnt born yet. It's just enthusiast knowledge;-)

Yonkers bought a Mack B pumper from Hastings on Hudson at some poit... but that was after 1978 at least.......

Great Knowledge (since you were not born yet, you obviously have a great deal of knowledge!!!! - How were you able to obtain this information???). Let me see if I can help you out on that additional question. I believe it was an Open Cab Mack Pumper and it might have been from Moehegan Lakes, but I am not sure (memory is fading after all of these years). I do remember the White Cab/Red Body ALF Ladder. It had "Many Lives" and I believe that it was a Station 4 as Ladder 4 after it was moved from Ladder 71 at Hdqrs. It was in a "slight" accident, if my memory is correct, and the front end was slightly smashed in. When I was with R1 back in '71, I remember Ladder 1 receiving the first "Closed Red Cab" ALF Ladder and thought that the guys were going to love it as they could now stay somewhat warm on runs. (The Rescue Guys always were teased because we could stay nice and warm in the old Mack Box Rescue Truck). The 71 ALF Closed Cab Engine 1, that was moved to Engine 2, was considered by all of us in YFD as a Great Piece of Apparatus at that time. It, of course was Closed Cabbed and it had a "Fin" over the back runner board, which was great. It was around that time that YFD decided to place "Wood" Tops to all of the Open Cabbed Trucks and Engines. Do you remember when Yonkers received its "First" Mack/Baker Tower Ladder? It was originally given to Ladder 1, but YFD realized that this unit would cave in the floor at Hdqrs, so it was housed at Station 3 on Vark Street, but eventually went "out of service" for a long time. This Tower Ladder rig was the biggest mechanical problem piece of apparatus that Yonkers every had (outside of the Continential/Compac units that were purchased later on [PS - That '71 ALF Engine (2) was refurbed by Continential/Compac]). The First Tower Ladder then "Sat" for about a year and a half, until it resurfaced as Ladder 70, stationed at Station 11 in 1976, when during the Fiscal Crisis of Yonkers, Engine 11 and Truck 3 were removed from service. Keep the information coming and let me know if I was correct on your question about the rig that was purchased from another Westchester County Fire Company?

Heres a new question???

Who carried all the extrication tools and did extrication calls for Bedford Hills Fire Dept, prior to them getting extrication tools??

Correct..There's no stumping you Muscles??

You ask a question now

Ok, Bedford Hills Fire Department once operated two FWD pumpers, the first a 1951 retired in 1981.... the second a 1963 FWD Young retired in 1991 after the new 199 arrived..... both units went on to different careers after BHFD..... where did they go?

Bonus points.... Katonah FD once operated 3 indenticle ALF pumpers from the 1960's. E115 a 1962, and E117 a 1968 retired during the 1980's where did they go after KFD......?