Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Westchester Fire Trivia

178 posts in this topic

Westchester Fire Trivia:

This is how this will work:

1) Once the question has been posted, the person that posts it will be responsible for watching to see when the question gets answered correctly.

2) Once the question is answered correctly, they will need to post who got it correct first.

3) The person that had the correct answer will post the next question (staying on this thread).

I'll start (Be specific i.e. model year and brand,important specs and county ID)

What did Hartsdale TL15 replace?

Any takers?????

Hartsdale had an American LaFrance mid mount, lime-yellow and possibly circa 1950. I believe they had two. And I didn't cheat, I swear!

Truck4's got it......and can ask the next question.....uh-oh :D

They were Ladder 47 out of Station 2, and Ladder 46 out of Station 1

SteveOFD, while were waiting for T4's question, you can ask one too :D

OK, Me too.....What brand of fire apparatus is the Avatar photo of EMTBravo?

Hard to tell by the size of the avitar but looks like a Maxim.

Maxim, one of my favorites,especially that style, and Truck6018 has the next question.........

1) In the Late 1960's and 1970's what was the prevelent Fire Apparatus Company within the White Plains F.D.?

2) What Fire Departments within Westchester County operate FOAM UNITS and where are they stationed?

3) In the Late 1960's and Mid 1970's there were 2 "significant" Fires in 2 major cities in Westchester County. The Late 1960's was in Yonkers, New York and the Mid 1970's was in Mount Vernon, New York. Can you tell us where these 2 fires were?

These 3 Questions should keep everyone hopping for awhile!

1) I know White Plains had a great ALF tiller around that time.

2) Dedicated/Official Foam Units? Yonkers, WC Foam Trailer at the academy, WC Airport crash trucks if you think about it.

3) The Yonkers job must be the JCC fire 12-20-65 as far as fire fatalities. There were a number of significant fires in Yonkers around then. The only Mt. Vernon job that comes to mind is the big warehouse/factory job. I'll have the info shortly.

Rescue1, you are showing your age! I dont think most of us were even born yet!

Yes, I guess I am showing my age, but here are the answers:

1) Maxim was the prominent apparatus used by WPFD in the Late 60's and into the 70's (Seagrave was the one for WPFD in the 50's into the Early 60's)

2) Yonkers and Westchester County are the only "Current" Foam Units in use since MVFD's went bye-bye

3) The 2 Fires that I was looking at are:

A) For Yonkers: You would be correct if you said "either" the Jewish Community Center Fire OR The Central Avenue Bowl (Bowling Alley) Fire [Happened to work both General Alarm Fires]

:( For Mount Vernon: It would be the General Alarm Fire on 4th Avenue and 1st Street, that took out an entire block of stores on the Corner there. For all of you "Old Fogies" out there, I believe that a Fanny Farmer Candy Store and the Old Bee-Hive Restaurant were involved with that blaze.

In 1976, Somers FD purchased a 1950 ALF 700 ladder truck. What department, also in Westchester County, was it purchased from?

Wasn't Somers' Ladder 18 purchased from Larchmont or someone down-county?

I posted this before the crash but it got lost so here goes again.

What 2 Westchester County Departments had county plates Jeep 1 & 2?

Steve OFD

Jeep 2 is Goldens Bridge now utility 38

Jeep 1 south salem or croton falls???? dont really know

YES, IT was indeed purchased from larchmont FD and received a white top and new tranny anyone else want to add something feelfree

What happened to that old Ladder?

Hey I got it right! So here's a new question for all of you.

How many Fire Departments in Westchester County are NOT dispatched on 46.26?

Winner gets to stump the rest of us next......

In 1976, Somers FD purchased a 1950 ALF 700 ladder truck.  What department, also in Westchester County, was it purchased from?

It was purchased from Larchmont FD. Over the 25 years own by Somers it had a roof added to the cab. It was repowered from an aging gasoline powered engine to a diesel and power steering was added.

With the purchase of the current ladder 18 in 2001, the ALF was traded in for use in a private collection.

The old Ladder 18 is now privately owned by members of the Fairchance VFD in Uniontown, PA.

OK, "JM", I think I got it-

21 not dispatched on 46.26, plus 3 that are dispatched on 46.26 and 33.96, here they are:

The 21-

Ardsley, Eastchester, Elmsford, Harrison, Hastings, Town of Mamaroneck, Montrose VA, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Pound Ridge, Scarsdale, Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, Yonkers, White Plains, Irvington, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Purchase, Grasslands, and Continental Village. The 3 "duals" are Fairview, Mount Kisco, and Peekskill.

How's that?

I believe pelham is dispatched on 46.26...? pelham village that is....idn about the manor.

Yes...I do Hear Pelham Village go out on 46.26 sometimes.

I don't know if I was right or not, but to keep this going here is a new question-

Engine 134 and 135 are currently assigned to Peekskill (134 current Rescue Pumper and 135 used to be a spare, but now reserved). Who originally had those numbers and what were the apparatus?

I believe that Millwood Fire Department had Jeep 1. I think it had bodywork by Howe..... a front mounted pump and a ladder rack. I have a picture of it..... b/W. But I don't know when it was built, or when it served until. If anyone has anymore info on this rig I'd love to hear about it.

By the way.... both of the ladder trucks from Hartsdale FD, were former FD White Plains.... or so I have been told.

Ok..... here is my Trivia Question for you all. Which fire department in Westchester County had the first tanker, and who made the truck.....?

Thats easy-

The first Tanker in Westchester was Engine 164 in Somers. It was built by Mack in 1946, it carried a whopping 800 gallons. The second tanker was also in Somers- Engine 184, in 1958, it carried 1000 gallons and built by Seagrave.