Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Westchester Fire Trivia

178 posts in this topic

No takers??? Ok, I'll give you a hint....BHFD's 1963 FWD Young gave the second part of it's life to teaching others..... In fact, part of it is still teaching.........

Well Chris...The first FWD Bedford Hills owned was known as Engine 3 A.K.A. Engine 197... 197 was given to the Cape Cod Fire Deparment in 1979....The Second FWD owned and operated by Bedford Hills was Engine 1 ....A.K.A. Engine 199......After its term in Bedford Hills it was Given to 60 controls Westerchester County Fire Tranning Center

Very very good Jay. Yes in fact the 1951 FWD went to Orleans Mass. via the help of ex-chief Lynn Pike of BHFD. Orleans had a pumper similar to the BHFD engine that had drive-train problems.... because of a tax lw in effect in MA. at the time Orleans could not afford a new pumper..... BHFD sold the engine to Orleans, I think in 1980 actually. It served for roughly two years. And Jay you were correct on 199 as well.... good work. As for the Katonah LaFrance's 115, and 117 went to work in Northport Maine, each serving about ten additional years in their new homes before they were retired.

Next Question:

Who were the Fairchester Hose Haulers ??

The Fairchester Hose Haulers were the local SPAAMFAA Chapter. They are the ones who brought us sooo many memorable fire musters at both Kensico and Croton Point.... they are sadly now defunct... I understand their last meetin was during the 90's at some point at the NWP Diner.....wishing they were still around, I miss the way the muster used to be......

I WILL STUMP YOU, AT SOME POINT, I SWEAR I WILL!!!!! :lol:

Anybody who has a question that they think will stump chris498, please PM me.

A good stomping question would have been what does Fairchester Stand for...... I think it was because member were from both Fairfield and Westchester Counties....... I'll check back on that for certain......and Seth, I know you are going to stomp me :lol:

Before Bedford Fire Department's M.A. 7 is a 1985 GMC RSI mini-pumper. What was the truck this unit replaced.... and where did it go after Bedford?

OK...you got the what it stands for right too, you're like the encyclopedia of WC Fire apparatus, its great, lol. Next question.......in additon to 498's .. What was the disposition of Ardsley former Engine 164, a 1970 Young Crusader.

OMG!!! Yes, and what brand of tires did it have on it when it left? LOL

Bonus questions:

What departments in Westchester operated Young Crusaders

Other departments in Westchester that operated Crusaders were Harrison FD, 1968 (the first in Westchester) Ardsley (of course) and Mohegan Lake had twins (1971?) Neet trucks too bad they are all out of service..... a truck a bit too far ahead of it's time and too expensive and time consuming to build in the 1970's.

Does any body know what the first offical Bedford Hills Chiefs car was.......Where did Bedford Hills purchase it from???????

Ok, I think.....and this is a stretch that the first official fire chiefs car was like a 1958 or 1959 Rambler that was most likely purchased from the Burbanks who ran the local Rambler dealer in BH... this would make sense because they were members of the department...... if this is wrong then it was a 1984 Ford Crown Victoria sedan..... maybe they bought that from Dick Gidron....

Well Chris your correct on the year and make but Bedford Hills bought the Sedan for the Bedford Police......One little tid bit about the car was the interior of the car was still green when it was sold the the FD and never changed to red and white

What three Westchester County Departments respond to other counties as part of their primary response area (not under mutual or automatic aid)?

For bonus points, what are the other town(s) within these counties they cover?

All three are assigned Westchester department and vehicle ID's.

Banksville responds to Greenwich

Croton falls responds into Putnam co., Towns of Southeast & Carmel

and Contenental Village which is located in putnam county responds into the town of Cortlant west of Peekskill

Open the following "Link" at "Expand" the picture. Look closely at the Old YFD Engine Company # 1 (Located in the background in one of the bays at Fire Headquarters - It is behind the Old YFD Rescue 1 in the foreground.) Can anyone name the Make, Model and Year of Manufacturer of this Old Engine 1 Rig? For a BONUS, can anyone tell me where this old rig ended up?

http://www.yfd.org/images/RetOldR1mackboxside.jpg

It looks like an old 700Srs. American Lafrance pumper.... it looks like an early production model..... I'm guessing like a 1947 or 1948.....

Who had the first Hurst Jaws of Life in Westchester County?

Who had the first Hurst Jaws of Life in Westchester County?

Westchester County Police ESU.

What departments in westchester operated Patrol Vehicles' and who was the 1st?

What makes this question difficult is that first one needs to know what a patrol is? Is it a Brush Truck, Mini Attack, a Rescue..... or all Three????

Let's try to explain this rationally..... Patrol 7 in Pleasantville was a Hahn Rescue pumper..... Bedford's Patrol was a light duty rescue, Katonah's Patrol became MA15...., Chappaqua had 2 Patrols.... one was a mini attack and one was a rescue pumper, Thornwoods Patrol was a brush truck...... .

The List: (Help fill in the Blanks)

Company Apparatus

Patrol 1: North White Plains 1939 WLF

Patrol 2: Eastchester 1976 Brockway Saulsbury H/R

Patrol 3: Rye 1950's Dodge, 1960's Maxim F

Patrol 4: Port Chester 1970 International,

1950's W.L.F.

Patrol 5: Thornwood 1949 ALF 700Srs. Pumper

Patrol 6: Armonk 1956 GMC/Oren

Patrol 7: Pleasantville 1960 A.L.F. 1981 Hahn, 1930's Maxim

Patrol 8: Croton Falls

Patrol 9: Bedford 1975 GMC Oren, 1991 Ford Gowans (both Light duty rescues)

Patrol 10: ????

Patrol 11: Banksville

Patrol 12: Valhalla 1930's Maxim, 1960 Maxim F

Patrol 13: Chappaqua 1930's Mack, 1960's ALF, 1983 Mack MC

Patrol 14: Hawthorne

Patrol 15: Katonah 1956 Dodge, 1971 International Gowans

Patrol 16: Briarcliff 1941 Mack

Patrol 17: Dobbs Ferry

Patrol 18: Chappaqua 1950's Studebacker, 1979 Dodge Pierce

Can you fill in the blanks?

The Westchester County Patrol Co. an interesting mix of Mini Attacks, Rescues, and Brush Trucks #-o

x635 gets it

WCPD had the first tool, Briarcliff was the first FD to have one,( which is still in service today on E92)

On the subject of patrols, Briarcliff only had one patrol, Our current antique is designated as patrol 16, a 1941 mack pumper, the '71 GMC was a 4x4 brush truck originaly designated E95, then it became MA18, And about a year before it was retired and sold in 1998 it was designated as R37

OK, besides the great question from msm.......

(Didnt North White have a Patrol also?That's gonna be my guess.)

Here's another:

What would stump chris498?

North White Plains has Patrol 1 with a 1939 Ward Lafrance which is now our antique. The origainal bill of sale says .....with "Patrol Body" and our 1985 GMC light rescue until the county changed to NFPA apparatus designations. I will try to gte some pics...

Thanks

Stay safe and keep you head down.

After a disccusion with a Thornwood Chief....... Patrol 5 Thronwood was a 1949 Am Lafrance. The 1966 GMC/Sanford was always MA 19 which was 1st due up untill the early eighties...

Thanks

Stay safe and keep your head down