Interesting article but not isolated problem

6 posts in this topic

From today's Poughkeepsie Journal:

Training issue fractures fire unit

54 dropped; didn't meet demands

By Kathianne Boniello

Poughkeepsie Journal

Kathy McLaughlin/Poughkeepsie Journal

HOPEWELL JUNCTION — Bill Santoro hears the call for volunteer firefighters almost everywhere he goes, and it frustrates him.

After 27 years as a volunteer firefighter, the East Fishkill Fire District recently removed him from its active rolls.

"I don't understand why every single firehouse you see, they're looking for volunteers — this place got rid of over 50 firemen," said Santoro, a Hopewell Junction resident.

Fire district officials say the dismissals were a matter of training — or the lack of it. The dismissals underscore the fact responding to fires and emergencies is only part of the job of a volunteer firefighter.

Butch Keene, along with Santoro, was among 54 volunteer firefighters the East Fishkill department dismissed for failing to meet state and federal training requirements in 2004. Those dismissed this year were asked to return their equipment and must wait until 2006 to reapply.

'Overzealous measure'

"I think this is an overzealous measure, to make us stay out a whole year," said Keene, who added he took some time off last year with the fire department's knowledge but didn't know he would be removed. "You're stopping me from serving my community."

Fire District Chief Steven Conti and others in charge of training for the East Fishkill fire department see things a bit differently.

"We had 54 members that removed themselves from the rolls," said Conti, who has been district chief since 1999. "No one wants to get rid of anybody. We tried to make every attempt to help out and get people to stay in."

There are 311 active district members left in the department, which is one of the largest in Dutchess County and covers 54 square miles.

Training involves a minimum amount of classes, seminars, drills and other safety related exercises required each year under the state's Public Employee Safety and Health laws.

A requirement is training on how to deal with bloodborne pathogens, a class Conti said was offered by the fire department about 14 times in 2004. Volunteer firefighters must take the class once a year, as mandated by the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

The East Fishkill fire department holds at least two to three training sessions a week, a monthly district-wide exercise and regular instruction on subjects such as auto extrication. Training is also offered when new equipment comes in or new radio communications procedures are established, First Assistant Chief Scott Post said.

With numerous training opportunities and ample notice of the requirements, it's hard to believe anyone active in the department was ignorant of the training standards, Conti said. About 10 of the 54 people were those who had moved out of the area, he said.

Requirements for state and federal training are posted at the district's four fire companies, in district newsletters and in books of guidelines, the chief said.

Others also take steps

Dewitt Sagendorph, head of the Dutchess County Department of Emergency Response, said local fire departments periodically will crack down on members who haven't fulfilled training requirements.

"If they haven't made the required training and they don't do what's expected of them, then they can't do what's expected of them" at the scene of an emergency or fire, Sagendorph said.

Firefighter William Nicosia, an emergency medical technician and department member for 20 years, said in other years things were done differently.

"In previous years, they have notified us in anticipation of a problem, in order to avoid a problem," he said. The minimum number of training hours was never posted, he added.

Post said, "The only way they could not know about it (training) is if they're not going to the firehouses, or out to the drills."

Gary Saltzburg, the district's rescue squad chief, said quarterly lists with the amount of training hours completed by each firefighter are posted in each firehouse.

Firefighting training is critical, Conti, Post and Saltzburg said, because of evolving safety standards and equipment.

With increased awareness of safety on the job and the dangers of responding to emergencies, volunteer fire departments need to be sensitive to training, Conti said.

"If you want to join the volunteer fire department, it has rules," the chief said. "Every third Monday, we train here. Every fourth Monday is rescue squad (training)."

Conti rejected claims that dismissing 54 members meant ditching a large percentage of the district's membership, or those with years of valuable experience.

"More than triple that came to us and said 'Thank you,' " Conti said of those who appreciated the stricter standard versus the 54 who were dismissed. "We need people — but people who are going to be willing to train for their safety and the safety of the community."

Kathianne Boniello can be reached at kboniello@poughkeepsiejournal.com

=D> to the East Fishkill Fire District for doing what is right.

The one gentleman's comment says it all on some of the attitudes we need to change. "They are stopping me from serving my community." If that department didn't offer plenty of opportunities to complete the requirements then shame on them. This isn't the case. Its just like in school...if you get an "A", you got an "A". If you received an C or an F...the teacher gave you a C or an F. Maybe the wait till next year approach is in some eyes harsh and I'm mixed on it. But if you don't set boundries, those know in the volunteer fire service you start bending 1 you bend them all and now others know they can't skip training.

Gotta agree with you ALS, it sounds like the 27 year "veteran" firefighter doesn't want to change with the times.

'Overzealous measure'  

"I think this is an overzealous measure, to make us stay out a whole year," said Keene, who added he took some time off last year with the fire department's knowledge but didn't know he would be removed. "You're stopping me from serving my community."  

Overzealous? Probably not. Just a matter of the brass doing what has to be done and putting their foot down. Something all the fire deparments and districts need to do. It's not like it was 20 years ago. Yes, the agencies need members. That's just it members, not do nothings. Not someone that is there to be in the "club". Not some highschooler who's there just to get in a better college, because he's "active" in the community.

While I don't know the specifics behind the article or the workings of East Fishkill, a quick lookup on the East Fishkill web site, www.eastfishkillfiredistrict.org, shows a calender of events including training.

I suspect that this article came to light because of the few with sour tastes in their mouths over this (Santoro appears in the print article with the gear he's "used for 27 years"). I don't agree with airing out dirty laundry like this but it's done. Hopefully it will show to the public that fire departments are more than just a good ole boy club and their best interest is to service the community with high standards.

If you can't make the bear minimum, then you should be out. These people are a danger to themselves and others. This kind of crap is what gives the Volunteer Service a bad rep.

If you planned on using untrained people, then just pull them off the street at the next alarm and you can save yourself the trouble of planning drills.

Sounds to me like the Chiefs made a tough but professional move.

I know as a Paramedic, I could have 30 years in, but if I don't recertify or keep up on my training, I'm out. This is an ever changing business, and sure experience is great, but you need to balance that with keeping up with training and new developments or what good are you?

Since I can't comment personnel issues, I will say that all of you in one way or another have hit the nail on the head. We have heard good and bad about the article. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Training standards need to be kept in order for everyone's safety! This was not an easy process and I am confident we made the right decision. I'll sleep better at night knowing my personnel are trained to the best of our ability and they won't endanger themselves or a brother member.

Scott Post

1st Assistant Chief

EFFD