Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

60 Control And Pride In Numbers

40 posts in this topic

Is it just me, or do the Communications Operators at 60 Control use their shield numbers less and less?

I remember when I first started listening, as a young enthusiast around 8, hearing 602,614, 618 etc etc. It was so cool when I actually got to meet, and better yet, work with these guys (both were actually my tour Lt's) and put the number to a person some 12 years later.

Anyways, I like when a CO ends their transmission with their shield number. It's, to me, a stamp of quality and pride in their job. I like knowing who dispatched me, and the CO's are often reffered to by their numbers in the field....it's almost celebrity-like the numbers....kind of like a stage name. Luckily, I know everybody by their voice and radio personality, but not everybody does. Plus, it's one of those GOOD and POSITIVE traditions!

It seems like this practice is fading away, and fewer CO's are giving their number out less and less.

I remember the day I got my number assigned....was one of the things I was loooking foward to most starting that job, and something I am proud of to this day. It may be a simple number, but everything that stands behind it, all the people I have worked with, and everything I have been involved with thats associated to that number, it means so much.

PRIDE IN NUMBERS!!!!

I give mine a majority of the time just so people stop calling and asking if I am 636!!!!! Do we really sound that alike?

I give mine a majority of the time just so people stop calling and asking if I am 636!!!!!  Do we really sound that alike?

It's easy to tell the difference.

Dave is famous in this county for his "Very Good". That's how everybody knows "636".

Every once and a while I try to slip a little "very good" back at him on the phone or on the air. It's his trademark. 8)

Is it true when you worked at there, it was 60% slower than they are now, with no additional manpower since the increase? Some people should be more concerned about that and how many times a unit has to call 60 Control on the radio before getting an answer, rather than "Badge numbers"

Quality is far from giving out a badge number or throwing out a "very good"

Some people should be more concerned about that and how many times a unit has to call 60 Control on the radio before getting an answer, rather than "Badge numbers"  

I think we're getting off the point here. I don't think X635 was trying to start a "bash 60-control fest" with his post.

As stated NUMEROUS times in the past...in most instances when a unit isn't being answered it has nothing to do with the professionalism/competence of the dispatchers....rather it has to do with a poor county radio system, lack of radio discipline in the field (i.e. units stepping all over each other), and a lack of staffing so that too few dispatchers are monitoring too many frequencies & answering too many calls at the same time.

Try sitting in for a busy tour at 60-control with multiple alarms going on or a storm in progress...you'll understand what a good job the dispatchers actually do, given what they have to work with.

Is it true when you worked at there, it was 60% slower than they are now, with no additional manpower since the increase? Some people should be more concerned about that and how many times a unit has to call 60 Control on the radio before getting an answer, rather than "Badge numbers"

There needs to be more funding for 60 Control now, you are absolutely right that it is busier and is only going to get more so. The agencies involved need to get together and go to their legislator and push for more funding, better facilties, and more staffing....with better pay. PLUS all the people in the field need to STOP doing their own thing and start working together. But that's a whole seperate topic.

Still, IMO, Numbers still matter. And Go Red Sox! :wink:

We at putnam 911 always do it, its protocol to say our numbers. I would be 420.

Dispatchers completing their dispatch with their numbers sounds much more profesional then someone just giving out the address of a run. Just sounds so much better.

On a lighter note, I have often wondered if certain Comm. Operators bring this "number saying" into their everyday lives...

Example:

Cashier: "Your total is $18.67, sir."

Comm. Op: "Very Good... 636 at 1620 hours."

636 and 642 sound and look a like! =D>

Ha I was laughing so hard when i heard that 242steve.

"Very Good" but lets not forget the famous "Thank You"

I was well known for Very Well, and "Sounds like ya got some work,there" when I was a dispatcher. We are also required by protocols to give time and number upon completion of a transmission.

This is going to sound messed up, but there are dispatchers out there who have fans on the other side of the radio. Not to toot my own horn here, but there was an evening when I was dispatching up in the Bronx, my brother had his partners father riding with them. They were listening to the Bronx and the father made some complimentary comments. "That Dispatcher 4XX is really a pleasure to listen to." Next thing you know, my nextel goes off and my brother tells me he is sitting next to one of my "fans".

There are other dispatchers who get phone calls from members dropping compliments, etc. Take some pride in who you are folks. It only takes a second to rattle off who you are.

There is one voice at 60 Control no one in the county can mistake. 622.

Boy 602, 614, and 618 must be old if x635 was listening to them when he was 8 years old.

Well,

What do I say to all of this. Communications is a two-way street. I do try to give the same customer service to all. But some are never satisfied.

As far as myself and 642, to the untrained ear we may sound alike.

As far as looking like each other RWC needs to clean his Coke bottle glasses.

I still have not seen any groupies....... Where are the Groupies????????

there's no wild strippers running around 60-control? damn.

The only person running around down here is 622. God please make him keep his cloths on!!!!

Ray runs?!

I'll leave that alone.....

I luv ya sweetheart!!!! ](*,)

Ok I know you guys/girls spend 12+ hours couped up in that bunker together but this is getting weird...

(I shouldn't talk since I'm on the list to potentially be couped up in that bunker... In case people hadn't guessed that from my other posts) :-P

622 RUNNING?...PLEASE GET THAT ON VIDEO FOR ME...

has anyone hear hap anymore where is he?

He was on during the day today.

I have to say Chief Stretz has teh best voice on 46.26. It just extrudes professionalism and pride, plus it kinda reminds me of the good ole guys with his dispatcher language like "Very good."

I wish we could use that kinda of stuff in Putnam.

You guys are brutal!!! For one--636 and 642 are easily distinguished. The most distinguished voice would have to be 602--whom has been finishing with his # more often lately--622 is also very distinguished--with his "radio voice". Can't forget about 620,646,644. Well actually most of them are --except the ladies. There are 2 that are tough to tell apart. MAybe using their "radio names" would make it easier--LOL

Anyway--back to the original discussion--It does sound much more professional--even though a good percentage of us know who they are.

On a side note--who can count the # of Mohegan members that are there???

On a side note--who can count the # of Mohegan members that are there???

5 current. I believe 2 more are past affiliates...

So more than a quarter--now the Croton influence--got to get a few more in there. LOL

Just think can cover a 12shift with people just from mohegan. :-k

dave and ray

just remember

get her done

from montour falls