Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The most feared response in your jurisdiction.....

34 posts in this topic

Just curious, is there anyplace in your jurisdiction that you fear for safety of your crews and intergrity of the structure if it were ever to catch fire? Where is it and why?

Down here on long island, Lynbrook NY ( www.lynbrookfd.org ) we have a knitting mill that is said to be built in the early 1900's. Right now its sub-divided into different businesses, mainly in the clothing manufacturing field. It also has steel grates on the windows of the first 2 floors, and the other 3 floors have an old style metal frame windows. The top floor has a door that leads out to nothing and has a type of pulley thing above it, probably to hoist raw materials into. I do believe dept. SOP's are to fight it from the outside at night and or if fully involved.

Edit for more info: The building is probably 70x150,

exposure A: street with high tention wires

exposure B: street running parrallel with railroad

exposure C: small parking lot

exposure D:wide street

I would have to say Playland. Particularly the area of the Olde Mill/Dragon Coaster.

Also the "Blind Brook Lodge" that is situated between Milton Road and the Boston Post Road on "Church Row". Aside from being an old balloon-frame job, the basement is impossible to navigate with the lights on, let alone in the dark/smoke. Also due to the masonary walls you can forget about portable radios working in most of the basement. There are about 6 doors for every 10 feet of the basement hallway, I am not kidding. VERY dangerous if there was ever a need to go down there at a fire.

(25truck26 contributed to this post.)

i would have to say the nob hill complex

not worried about a fire,

but one day the whole thing will slide down onto the saw mill

i know this because i used to work there

I fear every structural fire in regard to crew safety and structural integrity. Some just have a higher life safety risk and many have building construction concerns.

At the top of every persons list should be any construction both residential and commericial made of lightweight building materials.

It already happened...Kings College.

For a number of years before the fire, we had numerous drills and inspections, but knew if it went, it would be difficult to fight and dangerous to personnel

In Bedford Hills I would have to say the Kasho property off Haines Rd. Hundreds if not in the low thousand mark, of having people living on a campus where housing laws and other common laws are not followed regarding housing and sanitary code... Over-crowding and the poor conditions of each of the buildings on the property make for a very scary situation if anything is to ever happen there.

port chester,simons building on westchester ave next to fire headquaters.large four story brick,one block long from poningo to pearl st and westchester to irving aves.old 1800's comm building thats been broken up into who knows how many maybe 30 diff business'. united hospital,buildings empty with all utilities on and homeless people living in. building still have oxigen tanks in it and many diff chemicals.doors are boarded up and some windows too.very hazardess to us here in port chester .

are you serious homeless people have made there way into the old United already??????????

Pudge its a residential/school campus for people of the Hasidic Jew faith. Like I said before many old buildings in horrific state with huge over-crowding problems which will cause for many problems should a call arise. Just for example, the last call that was inside the compound in one of the buildings any room that could be used to sleep people was used. Rooms contained many cots, and many extension cord leading to very few outlets.

Hey Chief (2553)...while i agree with you, Idian Point is not in our 1st due area.

The one location in our 1st due area would definately be 3199 Albany Post Rd., the Westchester Industrial Complex. Tommy, you obviously know why.

This is a multiple-level complex with approximately 50 different occupancies. Occupants range from auto body shops to iron works, to pool cleaning business, to mobile paper shredders and even Con Ed!

ALS, you hit the nail on the head. But, there are a few places in our district I hope to never encounter a fire at.

Metro-North Harmon Yards Buildings 6 & 14. Bldg. 6 is that very large building you can see from Route 9. It's a machine / diesel repair shop with trains in it, chemicals, etc. Bldg. 14 is a storage facility with God knows what in it.

Half Moon Bay & Discovery Cove developments. All of these are light-weight wood-frame condos. To add to the headache, they are on the Hudson River. Get a fire in one of these cocklofts and it's on a windy day...... ](*,)

Every Shopping Center in Croton. Over the years we have had fires in most of them, and from the other calls we do at them, I can just say this - $hitholes! Crap is stored all over the place, many modifications have been made, the list goes on.

The Danish Home for the Aged. This place has had a fire in the past - the entire place is small! The halls are about 3' wide, barely wide enough to fit the EMS stretcher. It's all carpeted, wallpaper, etc.

Hudson National Golf Course This place is on top of a huge hill, is surrounded by trees, and is stone with slate roof. It's locker rooms are all mahogany wood, laquered up and ready to burn. The kitchen is huge, etc. etc.

Last, and by no means least - Sky View Nursing Home. This facility overlooks Route 9 and the Hudson River. It is a 5 story Nursing and Rehab Center with 220 beds. It is situated below 2 parking areas, making aerial access difficult. The effort to move the occupants alone will probably drain our initial alarm. Over the years I have done 100's of EMS and fire calls here, and everytime I look around and take in any changes in the layout I can.

Take the time to drive around your districts and learn the potential problems in it. Water supply, aerial access, poor construction, occupancies and hose lays are all things to consider.

I fear every structural fire in regard to crew safety and structural integrity.  Some just have a higher life safety risk and many have building construction concerns.

At the top of every persons list should be any construction both residential and commericial made of lightweight building materials.

Although I agree with you on the above statement, I created this thread with the thought in mind that everybody has "that one" place in mind that they really don't want to have to go to. So I'm aware of the above, just curious on specific places that may stick out in peoples minds more than others.

All of Katonah Ave. Valley Road to Edgemont Road.

Almost everyone of those buildings was moved from old Katonah and all Ballon framed.

No room to move ,overhead wires every where trees not trimmed back because of the tree lovers, if it is during the day parked cars and traffic a major nightmare

Up here in East Fishkill, there are 3 words that we all fear hearing. I-B-M!!! During the big blackout a few summers back, right after we lost power, we got toned out for a smoke condition with a chemical conditions in one of the buildings. Ended up somehow, I believe it was Sodium Hydroxide that got released into one of the buildings, thankfully with no humans, or any other life I know of affected. We did a room by room search of the majority of that section of the complex for any other hazards, with nothing found. When we ask our officers what they really have contained in there, all they will say is, "You don't wanna know. Lets just say the 'rule of thumb' applies in this case'. Lots of Methyl-Ethyl-bad-stuff." Needless to say, i was all gung-ho for going to that call during the blackout, being a newer member. Still relatively new in comparison to the majority of you respected senior guys, I grew wary of reality REEEEEEEAL quick after that one!

In Mohegan there are a few that I can think of off hand...

1) Jefferson Valley Mall

2) Either one of the 3 Nursing Homes (Treetops, Cortlandt, or Holy Comforter)

3) Hudson Valley Hospital

4) Water Treatment Plant on Rt 6...lots of Chlorine

5) Yeshiva (141 Furnace Woods Rd)

6) one suprised not mentioned before...a call at either a fellow member's house or worse...a family members house

7) One of the dozens of car dealerships, strip malls or commercial stores

Grasslands Rerservation-including

the main hospital

the childrens hospital

the medical college-basic science

the pavallions

housing

the "new" homeless shelter

the pen

the jail

any building on the prison grounds-2 points of access

and all the old timber brick buildings along Oval rd

Trying to evac either hospital will be difficult and use up most of the departments in lower westchester-all are long hose lays and some can't be laddered at all. plus with all the remodeling done-it's easy to get lost.

To the person who wrote about Harmon Shop, if youre Dept. dose not have one then they should start, by doing pre-plans. The shop is a brick bldg,with steel rafters and a wooden roof. Fire load just the roof.Just remember a good pre-plan will help and save our lives.

In Somers-

Somers Manor Nursing Home

Any one of the IBM bldgs, especially the CSB

PepsiCo

In yorktown, we have the YCCC building which is the old 6th grade school.

-Balloon Construction

- Arch Truss roofing in the Auiditorium with a "semi-new" A/C unit that would

bring hell when it comes crashing down 3 stories

-Ancient electrical system and wiring that could not possibly be up to code

- The entire auditorium is basically a death trap for lost firefighter

- orchasrta pit with no railing leading to a 4-5 foot drop

- stage drop of 3-4 feet

- electrical junctions

- stage props

The list could go on, but you get the idea.

In Millwood, the A&P shopping center and the Con Ed Substation (actualy had a call that was becuase one of the transformers in the substation blew in there a few years back and I dont wish to return)

Yonkers: any of the PJs (school, schroeder, cottage, mulford) Ravine Ave, Nodine Hill, Hawthorne ave, 1 Glennwood, Sugar Factory, Hillview

Any building south east of beekman ave, alot of illegal apartments in that area, you walk in and its alike a maze, you walk in and there is 12 familes living in a 3 bedroom aptatment and with closets as rooms, its really dangerous

REMEMBER585/ i agree with u totaly but i have to say the one building you forgot to mention was finlestien. EVEN THOUGH THAT WOULD BE ALL EXTIEROR. :blink:

Although we are a small, relatively quite department, Continental Village has some pretty scary places when you think about them. The worst is the Paraco Propane distribution center that is at the bottom of the Bear Mountain Bridge Road. Not only do you have to worry about the Propane but the 4.4 million galloon Fuel terminal right next door. Literally only a 1000-1500 feet next to it. That would make a big boom. Then we also have Camp Smith. Lots of artillary, Huge multilevel barracks, and a hotel. Not to mention that there are some buildings that we're not even aloud into. Don't know why and I'm not real sure I want to know why. Those three places definatey come to mind in Continental Village.

Any building south east of beekman ave, alot of illegal apartments in that area, you walk in and its alike a maze, you walk in and there is 12 familes living in a 3 bedroom aptatment and with closets as rooms, its really dangerous

How about all of the taxpayers ON Beekman... Common cocklofts and basements; unknown modifications (illegal apartments, etc), blocked/damaged/removed fire escapes, etc, etc, etc...

I am not even going to get in to the Cortland Street area... which has a combination of ALL of the above!

Scary chit man!

-cmc-

How about all of the taxpayers ON Beekman... Common cocklofts and basements; unknown modifications (illegal apartments, etc), blocked/damaged/removed fire escapes, etc, etc, etc...

I am not even going to get in to the Cortland Street area... which has a combination of ALL of the above!

Scary chit man!

-cmc-

I hear you brother

i will only say one thing. IBM. there are more chemicals, hazardous areas, even a few reactors. very scary stuff. they have their own little fire dept, but its not enough if something goes wrong, especially because my station is less than a mile from the complex.