Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x242Steve

"Dial tones" on 46.26?

17 posts in this topic

Why does it sound like someone is dialing a phone on 46.26? (Not on one of the UHF link channels)

If what you're describing is what I think it is, it has to do with the delay in transmission between when you press the trigger on the mic and when dispatch can hear you. In most radio communication systems, such as the ones in Fire Trucks, Ambulances, and Cop cars, if you begin talking immediately after you press the trigger, the beginning part of your message will be cut off. It is good practice to wait about 3 or 4 seconds before beginning your transmission after you press the trigger. The "dial tones" on 46.26 that you're hearing are originating from a unit that has a built-in way of actually forcing you to wait the 3 or 4 seconds.

Wolf- I know what you mean but this literally sounds like someone dialing "xxx-xxxx" you can hear 7 distinct tones.

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

It might be 60 control releasing the knox box key for a department. When a unit in the field has a knox box system in place in their district 60 control can release a key in either a piece of apparatus or a chiefs car. It is released by a set of tones that sound just like someone dialing a phone. Once the key is released the unit in the field can access the knox box at that location. I hope this is what you were looking for if anybody has a more technical way of describing it please feel free to help me explain better.

that is the coolest thing i have heard all day!

makes sense with all the commercial buildings that had water in the basement.

I had heard this before and I thought that it was a departments tones the dialing sound was to tripp the pagers

Ossining uses DTMF tones to set off thier sirens and they can sound like a phone dialing

Chances are you're describing the Knox Box tones. Another thing you could be hearing is some units switching the channels on their radios via their DTMF handie-talkie. Nice thing to have in case you need to change a channel on a base station from the field.

What's DTMF?

The tones most of you have been hearing are probably Knox tones. Knox tones are tone frequencies that are like DMTF Dual tone modulation Frequency (touch tones) that are used to unlatch something such as in the case of knox a locked box or dtmf for sirens open hear radios etc. Knox tones are similar in sound to Tradional Touch tones but the frequencies are dif ferent for security reasons.

no you can't dup them from a telephone either.

Quote of the day" You find out how little a man actually knows once he opens his mouth."

What is a hear radio?

Just FYI You may actually be hearing the autopatch kick in. The autopatch allows certain individuals make phone calls, which is outdated do to nextels & cellphones. Or it could be just the uni link keying up for the repeator. I thou would would bet money it is the autopatch just cycling. I actually think I still have the code for it. I actually use the autopatch on the ham band with my yasue FT-50. I have actually never hit a spot without service

Hear radio is just a term used for the VHF radio for the freqs we use to call the Hospitals 155.340, 155.400, 155.220.

Once you are on the freq for the hospital you encode them with a group of digital #s from the dtmf pad the numbers that look like a phone

What is a hear radio?

a hear radio stands for hospital emergency ambulance radio

i belive that what's it is

can anyone can correct me if i'm wrong

yes the HEAR system is used to communicate with hospitals to/from an ambulance about incoming pts, medical direction, etc.

HEAR system A.K.A NEXTEL :-P :-P :-P =D> =D>

Thank you all!