Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Harrison FD Training Center

10 posts in this topic

From The Journal News legal section 7/16/05, the Village of Harrison Board of Trustees approved a bond resolution "...relating to a new fire training center in and for the Village of Harrison...maximum estimated cost of $ 825,000"

Anyone have info on this?

Bump for some answers.

Harrison wants to build their own training center? That's a pretty neat idea. Probaly going to be primarily for the three Harrison FD's, Downtown, Purchase & West Harrison. But I'm sure Mamaroneck Village, Rye, and Port Chester would also benefit from this center.

Where would this be located?

Doesn't it seem a little redundant with the fire training center being available in Valhalla?

The same thing has been done in Dutchess County. The county traiining center is in the Town of Poughkeepsie, and East Fishkill FD has their own training center in the southern part of the county. It works out very well...they alternate giving state courses between the 2 training centers thru the year, cutting down on travel time for participants from the northern & southern parts of the county respectively. It also makes it easier to schedule live burns and other training, since with 2 burn buildings you have less scheduling conflicts between departments trying to train on the same nights.

HFD may be trying to lower their ISO rating. A Training Center is one of the things that could lower it.

its not that redundant, doesnt white plains have there own training facility, new rochelle uses it as well.

There always was a " training building and site" in West Harrison section of town ( the old Nike site). It was a one story block building that we would be able to live burn in. We could also live burn autos, do extrication and just about any other type of drill.

At some point the building became deterioted and it was stopped being used. Also the town was doing work to the area. Mostly the three departments in Harrison used it as well as anyone who asked.

West Harrison for the longest time talked about redoing the building or building a new one to train on. and to be used by other departments. I am not sure if this is the same plan everyone is talking about on this thread. Maybe 2503 can shed some light on this topic.

Although the training center in Valhalla is great, it was always easier to train right in our own district.

I'm actually working this summer with the company who designed and now has the construction bid for the Harrison FTC project. Its going to be located up on the former nikey base property (Park Lane).. Plans call for the construction of a Vehicle Cut-Up Pad and Smoke Building, I think 3 stories tall. I have made copies of the blueprints and it looks like a large scale project, with regrading the property. They also have added the possibility of adding softball fields as well.

As stated by N994, West Harrison once possessed a training building. The building was a 1-story block construction, that was in use until about 1998 when it was declared unsafe ( thanks, to an unmentionable neighboring fire dept!). The building was located on the the NIKE BASE property located off Park Lane. Yes, the Army once had a Missile Silo in Harrison ( Pre cold War). I believe the land was officially deeded to us in the latre 60's by the government. I believe the property is in excess of 20 acres. Also located on the NIKE base is the PD's outdoor firearm range.

The building was razed in 2000 or so to make room for an additional water tower. This water tower was needed to better serve the residents of the ever increasing Fire District #5 in Harrison. ( Residents of the Park Lane Reserve.WHFD district).

Around this time, the town "smelling" a winner, & took full control of the property for future undetermined use. After many a fight by past and present chief's, it appears to be full speed ahead for our training facility. The Dept fought very hard to acquire approx. 4 acres of land. With this property, the specs are out for a (3) story building, I believe L-shaped, with the following features.

- (3) story tower for ladder ops

- Rooms for smoke work and FAST drills, with a roof

simulator similiar to WCFTC

The first floor will have (2) fire rated rooms for live burns

The outside will have an extra large concrete pad for

vehicle fire and extrication work.

I'm sure that I'm leaving plenty out, but the GREEN light is there for the project !!

One last "tidbit", all expenses are from West Harrison's allotted budget, NO other Departments are kicking in! In the past, Downtown ,Puchase as well as NWP would come over and have multi-company drills with West Harrison, this has gone wayside over the past couple years. Hopefully in the near future, with the creation of this facility, the (3) Dept's will once again begin relying on each other, to get the job done !!

Cant help but wonder what then will happen to the Westchester Fire Training Center we fought so hard to get built????