Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

New Show On FX: "Over There"

18 posts in this topic

on FX new show called over there. Its about our troops in Iraq looks pretty good.

Is it about real troops, or just some "we think this is what is happening" show??

Featured actor Erik Palladino is from Cassilus Avenue in Yonkers. His parents still live there and sent notice to our homeowner's newsletter about his appearance in the show.

I am a former soldier, its not right to show what we might "THINK" is going on over there. for 13 months I said my prayers for my sister until she was safe on U.S. soil. How would you feel if it were your family member over there? I dont care how good the show might be......it should not be on the air during a war!!

I am a former soldier, its not right to show what we might "THINK" is going on over there.  for 13 months I said my prayers for my sister until she was safe on U.S. soil.  How would you feel if it were your family member over there?  I dont care how good the show might be......it should not be on the air during a war!!

Damn Straight... This isn't a documentary, it's a "what we think is going on over there" show. And it's brought to you by Stephen Bochco, the same guy who brought you a show about a blind cop who was still allowed to carry a firearm. So if this thing is anything like ridiculously implausable blind-cop-carries-gun story, then it's more likely to be a farce and a slap in our soldiers' faces than something that is to profile their courage. If they had any sense about the whole thing, then they should have waited until the conclusion of the war, then aired the show.

I am a former soldier, its not right to show what we might "THINK" is going on over there.  for 13 months I said my prayers for my sister until she was safe on U.S. soil.  How would you feel if it were your family member over there?  I dont care how good the show might be......it should not be on the air during a war!!

Well said. I spent 14yrs in uniform, through the first Sandwar. I have 3 brothers, all younger who are serving on active duty. From Major to SFC; one has been to Afghanistan, wounded 2x, and headed to Iraq in 3 weeks. A brother who just got back from a 13mo rotation and one training Iraqi officers as I type this. From the stories they have told and are telling, the public doesn't want to know what is going on. From lack of supplies to the constant threat of the IED, this show stands to do nothing more than make money of the war and misguide more than it will inform. I appreciate the spotlight on our brothers and sisters serving their country but I don't appreciate the liberal helping of horsedung that I have seen from the trailers. I know it it'll be aired no matter the outcry but here's to hoping anyway.

Allons!

I cant believe this hasnt gone across the nation yet on boycottng this show. I think it is crazy and rediculous that they are gonna air a show on the war that isnt even over yet.

To the men and women over there that may be reading this I thank oyu for all that you do and all that you do!!!!!!

Im not watching the show, they arent gonna get my ratings.

this is as bad as people selling 9/11 stuff on street corners and stores

is anybody gonna watch it?

Edited by HCFRFF

This is LIBERAL HOLLYWOOD making a buck on the backs of the soldiers !

The Freaking nerve.. BOYCOTT the BS show....

Also Boycott the Wedding Crashers, The movie makes fun of the PURPLE HEART receiptants- saying they get free booze and woman. BOYCOTT THE MOVIE. Send a message to LIBERAL HOLLYWOOD...... :D

This  is LIBERAL HOLLYWOOD making a buck on the backs of the soldiers !

The Freaking nerve.. BOYCOTT the BS show....

Also Boycott the Wedding Crashers,  The movie makes fun of the PURPLE HEART receiptants- saying they get free booze and woman. BOYCOTT THE MOVIE. Send a message to LIBERAL HOLLYWOOD...... :angry:

Two things!!!

1. Its a little difficult to criticize a show thay you have not seen and have no idea of how the subject material is treated.

2. Rescue Me shows that firefighters are human too, with drinking problems,drug addictions, family issues etc.... Not to mention how they have taken creative licence to firefighting tactics, radio communications... You get the point. Yet I have heard very few negative comments about that show.

As firefighters we fight an ongoing war and yet Rescue Me has been embraced, so why not give "Over There" a chance to prove itself.

Come on guys... its just TV!!!!!!!

Two things!!!

2. Rescue Me shows that firefighters are human too, with drinking problems,drug addictions, family issues etc.... Not to mention how they have taken creative licence to firefighting tactics, radio communications... You get the point. Yet I have heard very few negative comments about that show.

Actually I heard a lot of negative comments about it here and other places. Also it doesn't touch upon the subject of active soldiers that are fighting a war as we type this!!

Edited by CAM502

Two things!!!

1. Its a little difficult to criticize a show thay you have not seen and have no idea of how the subject material is treated.

As firefighters we fight an ongoing war and yet Rescue Me has been embraced, so why not give "Over There" a chance to prove itself.

Come on guys... its just TV!!!!!!!

1st of all Rescue Me is another BS show, The public will think that is how Firefighters all over the world behave. I've heard alot of negative remarks regarding Rescue Me. Tell me who embraced this BS show.

2nd Regarding "over there" Our people are still OVER THERE , and for Hollywood to do this at this time is totally wrong. :( Tell some of our soldiers family's" its just TV" :angry:

P.S.--There's a signed 8 x 10 of Palladino on display in Gino's Pizzeria over here on Pondfield Road West, along with one of the owner's daughter Erika Vetrini from "The Apprentice" and "Tony Danza Show."

But I wish more Yonkers cops and firemen would move in around here instead of upcounty.

Stay Cool

Get over it. The show was pretty good. It's TV drama for God's sake !!!

I think that it is a good show and I like it a lot .

Quoted from a Sblog I was reading this morning: (typos/grammar errors included)

"Over There" Is "Over Hyped"

I unfortunately wasted an a few minutes of my life to watch "Over There." A new series on FX about US Army Soldiers serving a tour in Iraq. There are a few bad war movies and tv shows, but this one takes the cake. If the inaccuracies they made in this new show was to keep the real enemy from watching and knowing our real tactics, then they did a SUPERB job.

The first thing I noticed that was f***** up about the tv show was US soldiers on the outskirts of a city behind a small berm in a fire fight with insurgents. I guess you'd have to be in the military to understand how ABSURD a small group of 10 or so soldiers in a pitched battle with insurgents which lasts for 3 days. Where the hell is the back up? There are also females in this battle. If the military knows it is sending soldiers into a battle, such as what seems to have happened on the show. There would not be female soldiers on the front lines with the Grunts, in deliberate fire fights and clearing buildings. Also, I would like the miracle drug they must be using to be fighting for 3 days and not eat at all. Then the pathetic soldier, yelling at other soldiers saying they've only been there for about a week why should they die now? Most people I know, who have been at the VERY front have been in very few fire fights. I can't stand when Hollywood they have rediculous stuff like this to keep it exciting, nevermind reality. Not to mention a guy being blown in half and his lower torso is still walking, which I just laughed at the absurdity of that. Then the guy asking his squad leader before an imminent attack they are going to conduct if they have air support? Maybe for people watching at home and seeing planes bombing buildings and such think that US Soldiers rely heavily on air support. However, the actual Grunts rely on other stuff, such as INDIRECT fire too. We don't need air support as if it is impossible to take an objective like this guy seems to be thinking.

Did he say females can't fight? what is this the 1950's? maybe he thinks they should be in the kitchen cooking. :rolleyes: sounds like the only action he has seem is from playing Socom on Playstation. i don;t really like the show but thats cause it is not really my thing. i watched an episode and just didn't get into it.

Did he say females can't fight? what is this the 1950's? maybe he thinks they should be in the kitchen cooking. :D  sounds like the only action he has seem is from playing Socom on Playstation. i don;t really like the show but thats cause it is not really my thing. i watched an episode and just didn't get into it.

]

You should think about your comments before hitting the submit key. First things first, the show is primarily about an Army Infantry unit. IF you had served in the military, you would know there are no women in the line units of an Infantry company. Do women fight, of course. They are serving in combat support units that traverse the battlefield, albeit not on the front lines, and get caught in the mix just like the rest of the troops in the field. The information posted on this Sblog, aka soldier blog, is from a female and from a soldier, hence the sblog. So, know a little bit about what you are saying before disparaging someone. Whether you like it or not is inconsequential, you have a right to your opinion and I would fight and die for that right.

Again, IT IS ENTERTAINMAENT. i know females are not on the front lines and that they do get caght in the mix cause s*** happens. but i think that maybe they [the writers] didn't want to hear crap about there being no women on the show as soldiers.

also, this is like star trek fans fighting over things that happen on star trek. It is make beleive, ok. the show is not a documentry of the war. it is made-up. the point is to entertain you. i know that if 10 soldiers are fighting for 3 day THEIR GONNA RUN OUT OF AMMO, but i will suspend that for the sake of "it just a show". and i will gladly defend this country but guess what, it not my thing to do right now in my life, ok. some people are and have been in the mititary, such as ALS, whom i has trained me and i think is a great guy. i never said anything about the soldiers just that the person writing the post was a bit TOO into the realism of the show. also at not point does it say anything about the poster being a female.