Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

fdny ems

16 posts in this topic

does ems run a squad i now they have divisions and battalions but do they have a squad.

does ems run a squad  i now they have divisions and battalions but do they have a squad.

There is no EMS Squad. EMS runs the following special units.

Haztac Ambulances ALS and BLS

Two Haztac ALS Ambulance that are also USAR

Two Haztac Supervisor's LT's

MERVs

MRTU

Gators and Cushman units

LSUs

There use to be a EMS ERS unit. This was the Emergency Response Squad. Also there was SOD units prior to the meger.

I believe it stands for "Multiple Emergency Response Vehicle," basically, it's an MCI truck.

I believe it stands for "Multiple Emergency Response Vehicle," basically, it's an MCI truck.

It was known as a Mobile Emergency Room Vehicle. I believe it is now known as a Major Emergency Response Vehicle. They roll on large scale MCI's. Occasionally, you may see one at a multiple alarm fire. I know MERV 1 is based out of Bellevue.

what is the MRTU?

MERV = Major Emergency Response Vehicle. I had the reponse policy the other day but can't seem to find it. They use to go on 3rd's and above now I think it's 2nd's and above as well as some other jobs like plan crash's and 10-60's. There should be three in service now. MERV 1 and MERV 4 with new rigs. Heard MERV 3 on the radio today, so I guess it's also in service with either the old MERV 1 or the old bus.

MRTU = Mobile Respitory Therapy Unit. Pretty much a bus with O2 points at every seat.

Some notes: I wouldn't call a MERV a MCI unit and for a few reasons.

They don't carry mass equipment like backboards, and other needed equipment. Doesn't carry support equipment like tent's, tarps, and lighting equipment. Pretty much they get used to check out FF's at the fires by the FDNY doc's to see who needs to goto the hopsital or not.

Also we have the LSUs = Logistcal Support Unit. There is one in each boro, they are more of a MCI unit. Carry bluck backboards, gloves and other supplies. However they are also missing the support equipment such as tents, lighting equipment and things like that.

What is a 10-60? What are a Gator and a Cushman unit? What does SOD stand for? Thanks!

JaredHG Posted Today, 06:27 PM

What is a 10-60? What are a Gator and a Cushman unit? What does SOD stand for? Thanks!

10-60 Major emergency (Bldg collapse, train wreck, Etc.)

Gator and Cushman are units used at big events they are Gators are john deers that are 4x4 and Cushman are the meter maid cars thing

SOD mean Sepical Operations Division

and SOC means Sepical Operations Command

Tom,

Just an FYI in case you keep notes........MERV 3 is the former MERV 1. The 1993 International/Excellence. The 1986 bus is the MERV spare. If you need the shops # for these rigs, I have them written down somewhere.

I thought SOC stood for the Secret Overtime Club??

merv3 is it stationed at jacobi hospital in the bronx or new location

MERV 2 was in the Bronx. Now the Bronx has the MRTU.. MERV 3 is in Brooklyn.

I kind of use the Rescue's to remember the EMS numbers.

Rescue 1, LSU 1, MERV 1 and EMS Division 1 = Manhattan

Rescue 4, LSU 4, MERV 4 and EMS Division 4 = Queens

Rescue 5, LSU 5, EMS Division 5 = SI

Bronx and Brooklyn are backwards

LSU 2, MRTU, and if there was a MERV 2, EMS Division 2 = Bronx

LSU 3, MERV 3, EMS Division 3 = Brooklyn

i guess merv 1 will be responding in the bronx that suks if the bronx doesnt get a merv because if u go to jacobi hospital it is an easy photo op because alot of the trucks are visible . a question on merv 1 i know it is stationed at bellvue someone told me it is normaly parked outside is this true or is it in some form form of an apparutes bay im really intested in obtaing some photos of it

Thanks for the explanation.

MERV 1 is parked under a overhang at Bell it's like an old taxi dropoff area thats not used anymore. Not the best spot for photos. It's located right next to the FDR However they changed the MCI matrix and have the MERV rolling on all 2nd's so you might be better getting them there. Listen to CW 1 and you will know if they are going. Also MERV 4 has been covering the Bronx. My old partner is driving MERV 1 now.

Side note. EMS Bn8 is currenlty working out of trailers on the roof of a setback next to the ER. A good portion of the new building is now up on 26 street. Have to take a ride by it. It's suppose to look something like Engine 4 and Ladder 15 on South Street.

ocme.jpg