Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Are there EMS Battalions In Westchester?

10 posts in this topic

OK, I seem to be having a mental block here.

I know there are fire battalions, but are there EMS Battalions here in Westchester???

I know at one time there was supposed to be a cool "Task Force"concept, but did that ever come off paper into play?

I know the areas are broken up into zones like the fire battalions, but as far as zone coordinators, i've never heard of any.

I'd be a good idea though, and i wouldn't be suprised if the powers that be are working on it.

I know at one time there was supposed to be a cool "Task Force"concept, but did that ever come off paper into play?

The task force concept is in the latest revision (12/04/2003) of the WC EMS Mutual Aid Plan. Unknown if it's ever been utilized beyond that.

I am sure it would be interesting to see the reply an IC would get if he requested 2 EMS task forces to respond to an incident.

Edited by TRUCK6018

Let me add to this issue a bit....

Look around the county and you see all the FD's getting all this Hazmat stuff, the squad bus things and decon trailers.

I know it's all there just in case.

But what about EMS.. How about some EMS trailers like the one at the airport. Place them around the county wouldn't be a bad idea. How about some MERV style unit that could be brought to a scene and staffed by a local hospital. To treat and release pt's that don't need to goto the hospital. Saving on overcrowding during an MCI.

Also like said above maybe it's time for some EMS coordinators on staff that respond to help coordinate.

Outside of Empress there truely isn't any cabailities. Empress has HAZMAT response units, MCI response (pic of the new trailer will hopefully be up in a day or so), rescue capabilities. YFD special Ops has the tents & rehab unit which Empress will staff. Between YFD-SOD & Empress SOD most aspects are pretty much covered; EMS wise.

As to the EMS coordinators, i would love to see a volly unit give control of a scene to said coordinator. Then again, i would love to see said coordinator come onto one of my scenes and tell me what to do.

I think it is a good concept for North County agencies, and the few towns centrally. However as you will notice this plan was revised 2 years ago. Nothing has been done w\ it.

As to the EMS coordinators, I would love to see a volly unit give control of a scene to said coordinator. Then again, i would love to see said coordinator come onto one of my scenes and tell me what to do.

901 Missing the point.. EMS COORDINATORS not Incident commander or anything of that sort.. Look at the IMT Teams. NYC just sent one to help with wildfires. Do you think any of them told the FF's what to do? It's all about coordination.

Things that a coordinator would do. The IC needs 4 more ambulances, he would be able to turn to the coordinator and tell him this. The coordinator then would get on the phone with 60 to get these units. How about what hospital to transport to? He could work with 60 to get ER status for you. This allows you to deal with the problem in front of you. It's not a case of you need to do this. It's what can I do for you. Hey you have the EMS trailer at the county would you like me to have it respond? All those kind of things. If you had Coordinators they would know what resources are available to you to assist with the incident. Like maybe calling for a county bus slipped you mind. This person might mention it to you as a resource that is available.

I seem to also be having a mental block. I am on one of the few combined departments of Fire and EMS. One day a long long time ago at a drill for the trailer at the airport I heard there will be several other trailers similar to the one at the airport placed in VAC in the North part of the county?????

I know we have all trained on the decon trailers but have the VACs seen us set them up and what the procedures are?? God forbid we ever have to use them and there are some minor injuries going through decon that need transport or care to a hospital.

The idea of a ems taks force is a good idea but I don't think the need is there on a daily basis for one. Unless there is a big MCI or something. What level of medical traininng would this said person(s) have anyway. Doctor, PA, Medic, EMT, CFR??

Just a thought because I know you can not really take Charge of Patient Care unless you have the highest training and equipment to provided care.

The EMS Taskforce isn't a Unit, like the Taskforces used by some FDs.

A Task Force consists of three (3) BLS Ambulances, two (2) ALS Ambulances or two (2) additional BLS Ambulances and two (2) ALS equipped paramedics (two fly cars or one double fly car) and two (2) supervisors or senior line officers..

MCI LEVEL NUMBER OF PATIENTS *MOBILIZATION OF

1 Up to 10 one (1) task force

2 11-25 two (2) task forces

3 26-50 four (4) task forces

4 51-75 six (6) task forces

5 76-100 eight (8) task forces

6 100+ ten (10) task forces

(plus additional resources as

decided by the IC)

As far as I know there aren't any EMS "battalion cheifs". Each agency would be in charge of their own IC at scenes, as it stands now. However I do believe that the current FD battalion cheifs would be the responsible parties if a situation should arise.

Also as far as the county locating hazmat and MDU trailers at the FD's. It is their responsibility to do so. Furthermore a VAC would have no use for such equipment. Ems would be outside such hot zone, treating patients post decontamination. The county is currently in process to issue hazmat PPE to EMS agencies, but as we all know these things unfortunately take time. Time that should not be wasted.

Anomalyemt,

The thought process here isn't about "Battalion Chiefs".. It's more about dividing the county into Battalion zones like the FD's have. Then from there you would have a Battalion Coordinator to respond within that zone to assist.

No one is going into anyone's area anytime soon and taking over being the IC. It's your area it's your incident, end of story.

"However I do believe that the current FD battalion chiefs would be the responsible parties if a situation should arise."

Not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about County Fire Coordinators or local FD's Chief. Either way this discussion is about EMS. FD Chiefs are not going to be taking over EMS ops. Take lets say Valhalla.. FD doesn't have any EMS role, they don't do first responder and are not trained. Valhalla VAC would keep the role of IC for the incident. Even though the Medic might try to control things. The Medic would have say about patient care, but that's it.

"Also as far as the county locating hazmat and MDU trailers at the FD's. It is their responsibility to do so"

Don't think it's anyone's responsibility to do so. This is all grant money buying these things.

"Furthermore a VAC would have no use for such equipment."

100% correct VAC's don't needed. But they need MCI trailers, tents, lighting equipment. Logistical units, etc.

"Ems would be outside such hot zone, treating patients post decontamination."

This is just one scenario, Hazmat, I am thinking more about day to day. Bus accidents, trains, plans, Buildings fires, etc. Hazmat is another story.