Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BMFD409

Firefighting In The Airforce

14 posts in this topic

hey everybody im thinking of joining the airforce to be a firefighter and i wanted to see if anyone here is or was in usaf. id like feedback as to whether or not its worth it. i've gotten serious about joining and have given myself a decision date of febuary so any help would be awsome. thanks

good luck...go for 2 yrs...get some national certs and be a federal firefighter

Good luck. When I was thinking about joining the Air Force for that they told me that it is really hard to be a firefighter just cause so many people want it. Just like any paid firefighter job in the area. But good luck and I hope you get it.

Just be careful.....

It's really tough to hold onto the hose in the slipstream when you're putting out engine fires.

Don't fall.

coincidently i just read an article on the usaf website about a usaf sgt (firefighter) who was just promoted to fdny lt. via a (very) long distance phone call to the mid east (he's on leave from fdny to the military)

heres a link to the article http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123011359

coincidently i just read an article on the usaf website about a usaf sgt (firefighter) who was just promoted to fdny lt. via a (very) long distance phone call to the mid east (he's on leave from fdny to the military)

heres a link to the article http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123011359

the airforce is a great way to start your fire service career,as of last fall the airforce was downscaling and according to the chief of fire protection the fd is taking a hit. the other option is the air national guard, i wrote an article "starting your fire service career" to be submitted to firehouse magazine when they start hiring again basically using the military as a good way to get your career going. i was 18 and went into the USAF as a firefighter , its a 4 year enlistment but you get alot out of it. the Lt from fdny who is in Iraq is a frind of mine in my unit who started his career with the navy. several fdny firefighters and city firefighters throughout the nation started out as air force firefighters. the air national guard- you would attend basic training in texas and then you would go to school to be a firefighter at Goodfellow air force base in texas also,you would go through 10 weeks of training which would include structural firefighting,vehicle extrication,ems,then CFR (crash,fire,rescue) many benefits come along with the military especially getting the nationally certified classes that you would take while in either active duty air force or the air nation guard. pm me if you need any additional info!

thanx everyone im gonna continue doing my research so far iv accomplished going in as an e3!

Going in as an E3...lol. Man they just give rank away in the air force huh. What did they do, give you E2 for passing gym class? Try not to break a nail in basic, god knows you won't get any blisters on your feet or callouses on your hands. If you want to know how to do a push up, give me a call. lol. God knows I've done plenty of them. Just remember who rules the roost...the leathernecks, devil dogs, angels of death, the United States Marine Corps. Does the air force have their own names given by their enemies...do they have any enemies? Flyboys.

On a serious note...if you go good luck, use every benefit you can to get training including college. When on active duty you can get tuition assistance, which when I was on active duty was 75% of tuition covered by the military. Get as much college as you can while on active duty, most colleges give courses on base even overseas, it will pay you huge dividends if you get out with nearly an associates degree, or finished one and an active duty vet. I would go more then 2 years, and forget about being a federal firefighter if you planning on coming back to NY. 2 years is nothing, if they are still allowing 2 year enlistments in the A.F. or Navy.

thank you als for the advice but id like you to know that my uncle flew airfoce in vietnam and i dont like the tone you have for the airfoce but its a matter of personal experience so its ok. and they offered e3 cuz i asked and i gave reasons for why i deseve it. any branh will do the same thing it just depends on how u ask or what ur mos is gonna be.

You'll get used to it. No disrespect intended. When you get out of basic and return to the emtbravo you'll rib me, I'll rib you. Hudson and I go back and forth constantly. Hey I've had close air support from the flyboys, I never said anything derogatory brother, just inter-service fun. They have their job, we have ours. The pilots are those constantly in danger, and the Marine Corps is used often to pick them up.

alright cool just making sure we were on the same page. im kinda excited to serve

Edited by BMFD409

alright cool just making sure we were on the same page. im kinda excited to serve

Does the air force have their own names given by their enemies...do they have any enemies? Flyboys.

i thought they were called the "Chair" Force? :D or at least that was what my cousin use to call them. i know it is all in good fun.

Edited by ECLEMENTE