Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

x635: Best LA Trip Ever!

21 posts in this topic

I have posted the photos and blog entry from my trip to Los Angeles 8-26-05 to 8-30-05

Thanks again to Orlando (LAFirePhotos) for making it such an awesome trip!

I had a GREAT time!

View The Photos Here:View The Photos By Clicking Here

And Read About My Trip In My Blog Entry By Clicking Here

Feel free to ask me any questions on this thread about the things in the photos!

Seth,

All the way to California and the water but no pictures of any ducks. I think we are all very disappointed.

Hey, great shots, but a few questions. The "HEavy Rescue" trucks, they look like tow trucks, whats their function? Second, you said that one particular engine is the only "200 series" engine that is fully staffed. What does that mean? What is a 200 series engine and what is the normal engine and truck staffing in LAFD?

Again, great shots!

First off, let me tell you that we had a fun time and Seth is welcome to stay at our home anytime.

To answer your questions, Heavy Rescue 56 is the only one in the city along witrh their reserve unit. They will respond to incidents like traffic accidents and difficult rescues only at the request of the incident commander. I've seen this unit lift dump trucks involved in T/C's where a car with people trapped were in. I've also seen it rescue a horse that fell into a wash. This unit will also come to the assistance of other fire units when they get a flat. The two persons operating the unit are firefighters though. Any other repairs needs a mobile field mechanic. This unit carries a full compliment of rescue tools and often gets called by other agencies arounf LA including Glendale, Burbank and LACoFD. LACoFD just purchased 2 of these units.

The LAFD uses concept called the Task Force. At a station where you have a truck, there will also be an engine. So, at station 11, you will have Truck 11, Engine 11 and Engine 211 (hence "200 series). This is known as as a Task Force. The truck is manned by 5 firefighters, the engine has 4 firefighters and the 200 series engine only has an engineer.

Should the engine be out on a call and there is another call in their district, the truck will go, but not by itself. The 200 series engine will always go with the truck. These two pieces are called the "Light Force" when together without the engine. The trucks in the LAFD are not quints. Should the call in their area be a car fire, they have the 200 series there. The light force essentially can act as a truck or engine company at any momment. If they are first on scene to a strucure fire, they can very well act as the engine and go to fire attack. If not, they can still preform truck duties.

There is only one exception to the rule. Fire Station 9 in the LAFD is the bussiest. So, to break up the call load, the LAFD fully staffed the 200 series. So now, 209 is fully staffed with 4 firefighters. Now they can run as a task force or independantly from one another ie: Engine 9, Truck 9 and Engine 209...

Hope I didnt bore anyone...LOL

Was one of the Pelicans named Big Ed?

Hey LAfirephotos, thanks for the info, good run down.

Thanks for the explanation, LAFirephotos!

I had a great weekend, thanks again, and am now having severe LA withdrawal, lol!

I'm glad everybody is enjoying the photos.....Don't forget that either LAFDFirePhotos (Orlando) or I would be happy to answer any questions about the photos or LA operations. Also don't forget to check out http://www.LAFirePhotos.com for many more LAFD photos and information.

Also, somebody had asked me about the Timberwolf sirens, and so I wanted to share this awesome article.

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=6441

As for the ducks, the seals and whatever those duck-like birds were subsituting for the ducks, who were away on vacation.

Edited by x635

How was IN and Out ???????

Actually, I only had In 'n' Out once!

Between having a couple of great meals at Orlandos (Yes, even the California version of pizza was actually pretty good in it's own way...and so was the BBQ, its cool we both have the taste for the freezer burgers), and all the awesome meals we had at the various firehouses that invited us to eat with them, it made me forget about In 'n' Out. Shrimp tacos, homemade guocamole, burgers, sloppy joes, everything was great!

The time I did eat at In 'n' Out though, at my home In 'n' Out in Inglewood, was AWESOME though! I love that place!

There are so many good places to eat that I like in SoCal ! Why can't we have that here????

Don't worry, we'll be back there in a couple of weeks.

If you lived in SoCal you'd realize how much good stuff we have here too....

If you lived in SoCal you'd realize how much good stuff we have here too....

Yeah, you guys have the best pizza and Italian Ice and ummmm, ummmm...well, thats a start for now...hahaha

I also forgot to add in my blog.....the LA County Squads...they are MANUAL transmissions....which is AWESOME!!!

Great pics, as usual. Sounds like you had an awesome time. I am eternally jealous, "as usual"...LOL!

Would those big wreckers (uhh....I mean "Heavy Rescues") in LA not also be used in the event of an apparatus having a mechanical breakdown, or, God forbid, an MVA? I assumed that's what they were for in the first place. Good to know they perform other duties as well.

BTW....the menu at In-N-Out looks a tad, uh, "basic" compared to larger places. Just my opinion.

Thanks Andy. My host really knows how to show an LA buff....err, enthusiast a good time!!! B)

I asked the same question to the Engineer assigned to 56 while it was at the shops having a minor repair done. He said that towing incapacitated apparatus is one of the many roles of HR56. However, that happens very rarely.

As far as the In 'n' Out menu goes.....the simplicity of it is one of the reasons it is so good. In 'N' Out does not own freezers, microwaves, or heat lamps, nor do they use preservatives in their food. EVERYTHING is fresh....the fries cut from a potatoe right before your eyes, lettuce hand-leafed, milkshakes from real ice cream, fresh beef, freshly baked buns from sponge dough all delivered in their own shining Kenworth TT reefers with a cool paint scheme. The burger is cooked and topped to your specifications on a griddle. No need for a big menu, they focus on what there purpose is and do it well....burgers, fries, and shakes....although their homemade lemonade is great too!!! You're exactly right by saying they are not the larger places...they put Ronald to shame!!

For more about In N Out and its freshness, click below

http://www.in-n-out.com/freshness.asp

I prefer Jack in the Box. Had one down the road from where I was staying the last time I was there. For anyone who hasn't been there, I recommend taking a trip to SoCal at least once in your life. Just to see what it's like and just the total difference in attitudes and lifestyles. And the cool apparatus. I'll be heading back there in three weeks. Totally looking forward to it.

Gonna save my "pennies" over the winter. Maybe I can work a miracle and join the fun next year. Sure would be nice.

x635,

Glad to hear you had a great trip...I was wondering though, how busy is the LACoFD? I know that they have taken over fire protection in some of the small cities in the County and I'm curious as to roughly how many runs they get out there at some of those more rural stations.

The Engine I rode with, LA County Engine 33, did 5,867 calls in 2004. Engine 33 is in the Antelope Valley, contracted by the City of Lancaster for Fire/EMS services. Lancaster is kinda an out-there rural city, I think, lol. The other apparatus in Station 33: Quint 33 did 2,084 runs and Squad 33 did a whopping 8,306 runs. Each run is individually counted by unit. Engine 33 and Squad 33 are the busiest in the county, and the country. I can't believe a week has gone by since I had the oppurtunity to ride with them, it was such an awesome experience and hope to have the chance again one day (after I ride with the city guys)....Station 33, a great group of guys.

There are some runs stats available here:

http://www.lacountyfire.com./modules.php?n...article&sid=115

I'm sure Orlando can elaborate some more....

Edited by x635

WOW! thats alot of runs!!! how big is the area that 33 covers?

"Busiest in the county, and country"......you sure you're not confusing them with another "33" company? (sorry.....just couldn't resist! LOL)