Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

EMT/CFR Classes

14 posts in this topic

If anyone knows of any upcomming CFR or EMT courses in the area, i would greatly appreciate any info! I myself am looking to get into an EMT or CFR class and i know some guys from my department have also showed interest in entering a class. Any info would be apprecaited!

BFD1054

Swankie,

Didn't I tell you about the EMT class that I am in right now months ago?? It started in late January. I swear I told you about it, lol.

WCC is offering one May -> August.

Nothing is offically posted yet but you can find some info (www.sunywcc.edu)

I'll be sure to be there to test you out swankie...lol.

Ahh, thanks everyone, i really appreciate it!!! Chris, i remember you saying something, but i never heard a definate, no big deal, hope you're doing good with it! I had heard there would be a class at Mohegan FD HQ, then Peekskill VAC, but i never heard any more, but thanks! And test me all you want, that is the purpose lol. Its been awile for me, i have been out of the EMS loop for quite some time now, so i am a little nervous. I have always wanted to get EMT certified though, so i'll have to suck it up and hope for the best. EMS is becomming a big part of the fire service and my dept does a first-responder system for EMS calls, so it would definately be a plus for me to have EMT. Plus i can become more active at the VAC lol. Anyway, thanks everyone, i appreciate your quick responses! BFD1054

Phelps is offering a CFR class starting in april or May dont remember which. I'll update you with more info if you want.

WCC this summer will have 1 day class, 2 night classes for EMTs, 1 EMT refresher, 1 CFR, & 1 Paramedic Refresher

Mount Kisco VAC is hosting an EMT class. It starts in May and tests on August 19th

You can contact Phelps for further information and registration info

Thank you to everyone who looked into CFR/EMT classes in th area and who replied to my post! I truly do appreciate it! I have recently found a class that will be held close to where i live and also fits my schedule perfectly! If anyone is interested, the class will be held at the Cortlandt Community Ambulance Corps. Registration must be completed by May 18th. See more on the class in the EMS forum under CCVAC EMT class! Again, thank you everyone for replying to my post, i appreciate the help!

LOL, the class came to you actually!! Good luck with your class BFD1054.

Any FIREFIGHTER who has some free time should consider taking any of these classes. EVEN IF your department does not provide EMS....yet, It's a great background skill to know, and is also very helpful when doing an EMS assist, extrication, rescue, or just to use in your general life. If you can't find the 110 measly hours to take the EMT, at least consider CFR.

Juniors- What a great skill to aqquire this summer- you can become a CFR at 16. Will also give you a head start when you take EMT.

Seth....good point, i guess the class did come to me lol! But yes, EMT certification is an excellent thing to posses! As Seth stated, for you firefighters out there, no matter of your dept. runs EMS or not, you should still highly consider taking an EMT course! Hey look at it this way, EMT is a shorter class than the Firefighter-I program that you now have ot take, if thats any consulation! My department runs a first-responder system where we are dispatched along with Cortlandt VAC to EMS calls during certain hours. There are many times when the FD is there before the ambulance arrives, so it definately helps to have someone with EMS experience with you. To respond to EMS calls, our guys must have a minimum of CPR/AED! On one occasion, i ended up doing CPR with a Police Officer before EMS arrived because the other 2 guys on our rescue had no training. That is why we now require minimum training! But as Seth said, no matter if you are in Fire, EMS or Law Enforcement, it wouldn't hurt at all to have CFR or EMT. As firefighters we are faced with many different situations, and many of them may require emergency medical care. Another way to look at is that its nice to have the same certification as EMS workers do, so that when we work with them on jobs like MVA's, we know what they need to do and we can assist. Hey, if you get your EMT cert, thats one more class/certification that you have over other people! It is also good for people who aren't involved in emergency services! My girlfriend would love to become an EMT because she is going into education as a profession and EMT would look good on a resume, not to mention it may come in handy one day. And for all of you out there who are still in High School and looking to further education (which you should definately do!), EMT is worth at least 5 college credits!

Anyway, just something to consider! I have been wanted to get my EMT cert for a long time now, and the perfect opportunity has arrised and i am going to jump on it! Also, not to ramble, but some of you out there may also want to consider getting involved in EMS if you are not already! EMS is a great way to get involved in emergency services, help your community & feel good about yourself!

Seth, thanks for the support bro! Maybe i will look to hire you and your expertise as a tutor lol!

WCC classes are about to start for the summer--time to register

PEEKSKILL WILL BE HAVING AN EMT CLASS STARTING IN JUNE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOME MORE INFORMATION STOP IN AT PEEKSKILL VAC HEADQUARTERS AT 1427 MAIN ST, OR YOU COULD JUST CALL THERE ANYTIME AT 914 737 5310. IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK I WILL DO THE BEST THAT I CAN TO ANSWER YOU BACK ASAP.

Come on Seth...you know all firefighters should be and make the best medics....lol