Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Why do FD's like this still exist?

23 posts in this topic

Usually, I'm not one for critiquing or bashing a department. But check out the guys in the photos, and see if you can spot the numerous issues.

"Car Fire Spotted on Route to Firehouse Convention in Baltimore"

If the link doesn't work, cut and paste this into your browser window:

cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?id=44662&sectionId=45

I don't know what department this is, or where they are from, but I can't believe that things like this occur in today's fire service. I've seen some pretty powerful videos regarding issues like this, and the consequences of these actions, and don't understand why anyone who calls themeselves a firefighter doesn't believe in thier personal safety. These guys make true firefighters look bad......I hope these get back to the department's chief, he is ashamed, and makes immediate changes.....before someone is hurt or killed because of his and his FF's negligence....

I'm sure FFCloseCalls will be picking up on this one...

Edited by x635

Just one more thought by me. Chances are this car was already ruined, and no one was entrapped. In fact, that was the case, as all occupants were obviously out of the vehicle as the photographer stated in another forum.

Why would you risk your personal safety over something as relatively minor and controlled as this??? I mean, there was no threat to the exposures, no life or property risk....even if there was, still not an excuse for their actions.

Serious safety issues here.

1. PPE is obvious

2. Improper attack technique. You should not expose yourself to the front or rear of vehicles unless necessary. And that is life safety only.

Well I just read the article that went along with the pictures. If you read it you would relize that it's not a department. A ex-airforce firman, A DOT worker and 1 member of the local department.

given that they're short on manpower the guy in the flip flops is using his head by "multitasking" enabling him to do more in less time. by being comfortable & wearing less-restrictive, cooler clothing he's able to rehab as he's putting out fire. rather than be criticized & chastized he should be commended on his dilligent "time management", he's obviously seen other f/f's suffer from heat exhaustion & he's taking the proper precautions to not be one of them. if only he had one of those water backpacks bike riders wear he could also be hydrating himself.

given that they're short on manpower the guy in the flip flops is using his head by "multitasking" enabling him to do more in less time. by being comfortable & wearing less-restrictive, cooler clothing he's able to rehab as he's putting out fire. rather than be criticized & chastized he should be commended on his dilligent "time management", he's obviously seen other f/f's suffer from heat exhaustion & he's taking the proper precautions to not be one of them. if only he had one of those water backpacks bike riders wear he could also be hydrating himself.

ha ha ha your kidding right ?

kidding???????? no. why would i be kidding?????

LOL

that's what's so nice & refreshing about sarcasim is sometimes people aren't entirely sure if you're really serious or not. yes, i am kidding & glad you enjoyed it.

I don't know why you guys are giving this kid such a hard time. If the people on this site would take the time to remove themselves from their high horses and come down to the real world, there are a few things I'd like to point out. First...IF you look carefully, you'll see that teh shorts teh guy is wearing are part of the the new Morning Pride line comming out next year. Second, those particular flip flops made by that company are allowed by NFPA. Just wait in teh comming years that uniform will be arriving at Burn Units everywhere.

So where did the hoseline come from?

Then thumbs down to the local dept. and the member from it. You should be able to handle a 1 3/4 handline at 125 GPM's by yourself. Even if it was flowing the interior structural firefighting rate of 150 you can still do it, especially if you have a smoothbore. He shouldn't have had that guy there with him 1, and his tactics still are wrong. period.

disgrace to firefighting. Full PPE and SCBA are required to fight all working car fires!

did anybody notice that this moron on the backup position is wearing sandals. other than that i have no comment except for :):D

x 635,

to answer your question, they still exist because they can. Their leaders do not care about the safety of their members or anyone else.

You should not expose yourself to the front or rear of vehicles unless necessary.

Being the non-firematic type I was curious as to why this is. TIA.

Many bumpers are affixed to the vehicle with shock absorbing mounts. If the shocks heat up, they can "explode" and shoot it away from the vehicle with enough force to take out a knee cap or two.

I have seen these shocks let go and fire approximately 30-40 feet and enbed its self into a concrete block foundation.

shame shame shame! these people will end up killing themselves and others. their is no reason for them to do that even if the people were in this car, they're not going to save anything and they put themselves in jepardy. really stupid! no reason for that to happen. even if there's low man power they could have waited for additional man power or used a deck gun. you don't know what that cars going to do. the back up guy gets caught up in the moment, he's not really helping out. dumb and stupid! allways wear full protection at every fire!

Why does this still happen?? Because lack of grapes by chief and firematic officers to do the right thing. They allow it. Nuff said. As for the back up guy in shorts and flip flops, you're a knucklehead who should know better.

I have seen these shocks let go and fire approximately 30-40 feet and enbed its self into a concrete block foundation.

Ouch. Thanks for the info.

It's called two off duty firefighters from another department (no where near this town and they should have known better) that thought they were lending a hand. And to further make things worse, one of those guys is a career firefighter and the person who took the picture was not a "passing through motorist." And there is an ivestigation.

Not to make what these guys did acceptable, but the headline said On The Way to Baltimore Fire Parade, so chances are that isn't a local fire deparment, but maybe someone driving his volly truck or his own personally owned fire apparatus.

Again DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT!! Unfortunately, we seem to get away with a lot in the fire service that we chalk up to GOOD firefighting, when it really was just GOOD LUCK that got us through it.

Not to make what these guys did acceptable, but the headline said On The Way to Baltimore Fire Parade, so chances are that isn't a local fire deparment, but maybe someone driving his volly truck or his own personally owned fire apparatus.

Again DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT!! Unfortunately, we seem to get away with a lot in the fire service that we chalk up to GOOD firefighting, when it really was just GOOD LUCK that got us through it.

BFC I couldn't agree with you more, and it should have been the firefighter in gear duty to tell the other guys to back off, if there was no officer on scene. I know where this incident took place and I'll leave it as that for now, No need to start anything with anyone, but It should be a reminder this is how people get hurt. I would say at least 99% of us have at one time done something that we shouldn't have and we though at that time we were doing a good thing. I'll be the first to admit shame on me for doing something similar. We cannot be too carful now adays with lawsuits and such and just the hiogh risk we take now with the associated dangers. Remember to think before you do and if it is one of our dpeartments, we have to watch ourselves and do it right.

This is typical "news" these days. Take a picture, interpret it in any of 1000 ways, then talk about it all day.