Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

"Rescue" Engines

7 posts in this topic

Just looking for comments on a "trend" that may be starting regarding new "Engine" appartaus being designated as "Rescues".

According to Westchester DES - Fire Apparatus Page, the County will follow NFPA Guidelines for fire apparatus classifications. The following is from the DES site.

Pumper Apparatus - Fire apparatus with a permanently mounted fire pump of at least 750GPM capacity, a minimum water tank of 300 gallons, hose storage for 2 1/2" or large diameter hose and... pre-connected hose lines.

Rescue Apparatus - A support vehicle, not designated for patient transport but contains tools for life support, extrication, emergency medical care.

I have got nothing against Engines or any other apparatus carrying rescue equipment or whatever other equipment the Department may need. If a Department wants to designate an Engine for "Rescue" operations that is fine, but its primary role, and classification is an "Engine" for the sole reason that the "Engine/Rescue" is not a support vehicle as stated in the definitions above. My comments are only about applying the proper designation the apparatus.

That poses an interesting question.

If a FD is to designate a engine as a Rescue, and that is that unit's primary role, whereas being an engine is only going to be an auxillary and secondary function of that unit, and the department wants it to be known that they have a Rescue and it responds as such, is that Engine a Rescue???

For instance, if a department has a quint, but it functions primarily as a Engine, is it an Engine or Ladder?

Should apparatus be classified by its primary function, or by more classic terms????

I don't understand, how putting a hurst tool on any vehichle makes it a rescue company.

I don't understand, how putting a hurst tool on any vehichle makes it a rescue company.

That's actually a great point...I actually suprised I overlooked it.....and I'll take it further.....I don't see how any tool on a rescue company makes it a rescue....I think what makes it a rescue is the training of personel on board. I personally feel training, as well as a full compliment of general rescue equipment, should have to factor into the rescue designation as well...otherwise, make it a utility.

I wonder how many Rescues, or Rescue Engines, actually have appropritely trained personel on board.

Rescue is FAR more then automotive extrication capabilties......

But I guess that's a whole seperate subject, lol.

Edited by x635

Rescue Apparatus - A support vehicle, not designated for patient transport but contains tools for life support, extrication, emergency medical care

I think for the most part Engine companies in Westchester act as "Rescue Engines" as it is. Most engines carry EMS equipment, extrication tools as well as some other recue equipment. Due to the wide variety of calls, an engine company has to be able to do alot more than just put water on a fire. As stated before, you can call it whatever you want, but unless you have proper training on the equipment, it is useless. I think there are only about 3-4 true rescue companies in Westchester (Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, White Plains) in the sense that these companies are always manned and the members of these companies are specially trained and are constantly training to handle various types of rescue situations. As far as traing goes, I think that all firefighters should be trained to handle whatever may come their way not just for whatever apparatus they may ride on. For example, the 10 departments that are part of the Westchester Special Operations Task Force have been training extensively in HAZ-MAT and Technical Rescue among other things.

Here's my question why does the county give out "squads" that do not even fit their classification of what a squad is?

A vehicle(s) consisting of at least an Engine with or without other support vehicles (ie: Rescue, Ladder, or Utility Type), equipped with additional and specific equipment to handle hazardous materials / WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction) and/or technical rescue, that will respond with a minimum of six (6) trained and certified members, included a company officer.

Or does the engine mean that it is motorized.

Another question when you ask for the county squad lets say greenburgh does 6 guys come with that?

Quick description of our Engine/Rescue--1,000 gpm/1,000 tank (30 gal foam tank), Holmatro cutters, spreaders, ram's, mini cutter, 2 power units 1 electric and one gas, paratech tigh pressure airbags, cribbing, Backboard, stokes, oxygen, collars--along with the fire equipment--saws, irons, hooks, etc. Does that classify as an engine/rescue?