Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

New York State Licenses

15 posts in this topic

I just got a new license in the mail and NY has new licenses. I never heard anything about a change. The new ones look really nice though they are different colors. The new ones also have a 3-D image that shows when you hold it a certain angle. Does anyone know why they changed?

not sure why but they also changed the permits to the same kind of thing with the 3d and different colors. maybe its just to update them and the 3d could be so noone can copy them.

New York State is way behind on anti-fraud technology, so I'm not surprised that they are finally starting to catch up!

I am sensing a decline in the sale of chalk in SUNY towns...

I had read several months ago about the new licenses. The reason for the change is exacaly as stated. To make them less likely for alter or duplicate.

This is the first i'm hearing of this. I haven't received a new one as of yet. I thought NYS licenses were actually pretty good as they were and pretty difficult to copy/alter. Other states (i.e. New Jersey) have pretty crappy licenses that are way to easy to alter.

lol NYS is the easiest to copy. I dont have a fake id, i sware on my life, but all you need is a stick of chalk, and a red colored pencil. Change the Year on the expiration date and your all set!

Doesn't it defeat the purpose to send the new ones through the mail? NJ went over to a similar kind beginning 1/1/2004 and they are gradually replacing the old ones as they expire. That seems like the better way to go, instead of risking having these new licenses lost in the mail.

EMSJunkie....good point, however good luck with that nowadays! With all of the under-age drinking being spotlighted in Westchester, its a lot harder. MOST bartenders/bouncers are really being dilligent on checking ID's. Theres just way too much to risk anymore. Chalk and colored pencils usually are a no-go now. A good bouncer will rub his finger accross the ID to check for that, plus they won't register through the scanners, which most bars have now. Hell i'm 23 with a Commercial license and i still get IDed and double-checked all of the time (not a bad thing)!

WolfEMT...defiantely agree with you. This procedure seems very risky. The last batch of newer licenses were supposed to be valid for like 7 years or so. So what is the point of starting to replace them lol? I just got a new one less than a year ago! If they wanna make people change over, than drivers should have to go to the DMV and at least have another eye-exam if you ask me. Sending them in the mail just seems silly and risky.

NJ Licenses if you are under 21 your picture is taken from teh side and over 21 is taken from the front. Can't change the dates with that.

gees we use to go down to 42ndst and get them pretty cheap to $10 and good work.

gees we use to go down to 42ndst and get them pretty cheap to $10 and good work.

New York's Driver Licenses

For pictures of the new license go to

http://www.nysdmv.com/broch/c51A.htm

The info below if from the web site:

HIGH TECH SECURITY

New York State has redesigned the photo driver licenses, learner permits, and identification cards. DMV will begin issuing these new documents in the fall of 2005. The new design improves document security, helps prevent crime, and protects document owners. The license and ID cards have backgrounds that contain "micro-text", similar to that used in many world currencies. These background designs, printed in a blended color pattern, are virtually copy or counterfeit proof. This special design is one of several layers of protection for the documents and the data they contain.

SECURITY LAMINATE

The new documents are among the first in the nation to utilize a security laminate that includes an optical variable device. Optical variable devices reflect light to create an image on top of the document. This device appears in the form of a wavy line that is visible to the naked eye and thereby provides an enhanced level of security. When viewed through a retro-reflective device, this laminate reveals any cut lines or spots caused by alterations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ULTRA-VIOLET PROTECTION

For added security, the redesigned documents contain a large New York State Coat of Arms printed in ultra-violet-sensitive ink over portions of the client's name, ID number, photo, and date of birth. This Coat of Arms is only visible under ultra-violet black light. If a document is altered, the seal will show a break when viewed under ultra-violet black light.

"UNDER 21" MARKINGS

Licenses, learner permits, and ID cards issued to anyone under 21 years of age feature the date of birth and client identification numbers printed in red. The words "UNDER 21" are also printed in red beside the photo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"2-D" BARCODE

A two dimensional barcode is on the back of the new documents. This "2-D" barcode along the bottom edge of the card contains all the client information printed on the front: name, address, ID number, date of birth, height, sex, eye color, document class, and restriction/endorsement codes. A one-dimensional barcode containing the client ID number, date of birth, and the card's expiration date is across the top of each card. These features enable law enforcement agencies and businesses with barcode readers to verify the information printed on the face of the document.

The new documents are being phased in during the next eight years as driver licenses and ID cards are renewed and new documents are issues. This means that two styles of licenses will be valid until the year 2013. In addition, some old style ID cards issued prior to the year 2005 are valid for 10 years and will remain in circulation until their expiration dates.

DOCUMENT TYPES

In addition, color coding of the title line located underneath "New York State" distinguishes the document type as shown below:

DRIVER LICENSE - blue

RESTRICTED USE - purple

CONDITIONAL - purple

LEARNER PERMIT - green

COMMERCIAL - brown

IDENTIFICATION CARD - gold

If you have any questions about document validity, please contact:

NYS Department of Motor Vehicles

Division of Field Investigation

6 Empire State Plaza

Albany, NY 12228

Doesn't it defeat the purpose to send the new ones through the mail? NJ went over to a similar kind beginning 1/1/2004 and they are gradually replacing the old ones as they expire. That seems like the better way to go, instead of risking having these new licenses lost in the mail.

They always mail you a new license when you renew. Kinda think he meant he was due for a new one, and it showed up with the new style. JM15???

So you finally got your senior license John? Good deal.

As for what firemn23 said, I don't believe this is accurate. Plus, the person can be over 21 and still have their old license.

New york is (was) pretty easy to alter. I believe CT and MA licenses print the person's license vertically if you're under 21 and the regular horizontal orientation if you're over 21. Also, their licenses are hard plastic, so you can't use the old chalking technique to change the birthdate.

yeah dave I finally did. How is school going? see you soon. The 3-D bar goes over the Under 21 thing so if you chalk over it th line would be broken making it noticeable