Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KEE879

Function of Westchester Battalion Chiefs?

7 posts in this topic

I have noticed that in westchester the "mutual aid coordinators" are now "battalion chiefs." But what exactly is their function at a fire scence? Do they at some point become the IC, instead of the cheif of the deparment whose fire protection district the incident lies in? Or are they simply to provide assistance with mutual aid.

Thank you in advance.

I think the actual title is "Battalion Cooridinators". Their role is basically to assist the I/C with requesting and directing incoming Mutual Aid apparatus. Each battalion consists of anywhere from about 5 to 10 neighboring departments.

I think the actual title is "Battalion Cooridinators". Their role is basically to assist the I/C with requesting and directing incoming Mutual Aid apparatus. Each battalion consists of anywhere from about 5 to 10 neighboring departments.

Thats sounds pretty accurate to what I've been explained as there role at scene's. They are pretty much the Liason between IC and Control.

You guys pretty much hit it on the head.

The Battalions are still "Mutual Aid Coordinators." To the best of my knowledge from my pre-60 days, they are now called Battalions to work better within the CAD system. Administrative Officers are "Cars" IE Car 1, Car 2, etc.

And yes, the Batts are still coordinators to work WITH the IC. You all know that at any incident, an IC has a million things running through thier minds, and having someone there to help ensure everything gets done is a nice thing.

Some of the Battalion Coordinators do a great job, others, well.......

I may be wrong but they sometimes can reply back to control with exact data as the dispatcher needs while the IC is busy running the show.

IF we actually utilized NIMS the way it is designed and taught instead of kidding ourselves that we use it because we use some of the terminology before and after incidents, the IC wouldn't be too busy to "run the show" and give exact data to control when needed.

Being a incident commander on a structural fire isn't all that hard if you follow NIMS and stop being a firefighter with red lights and start being a leader. All the hard stuff falls on your division commanders and team leaders.

Being a incident commander on a structural fire isn't all that hard if you follow NIMS and stop being a firefighter with red lights and start being a leader. All the hard stuff falls on your division commanders and team leaders.

R u kidding ?