Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huzzie59

Stretchers

9 posts in this topic

Our VAC is looking for new stretchers.

Who's using what brand stretchers?

What would anybody recommend?

My volly squad recently bought new ferno stretchers. I believe they are the 93p model but I'm not positive. They are heavy duty and can carry patients I believe over 650 lbs. They also come with the LBS plates for the "bigger" patients and have actually held up well. The only down side to them is the doorway needs to be wide enoguh for the stretcher to go through with the LBS plates on. If not it becomes useless to use. But the stretchers are good. I've also used the stryker model stretchers and while they are heavy duty they are also alot heavier to handle then the Ferno's

Sleepy Hollow had bought the Ferno Excalibur (2) 5 or so years ago. They were very lightweight..some kind of carbon-fiberglass composite. They proved to be very temperamental, especially when it came time to release the legs. Seems that the composite had alot of "give" and you couldn't tell if the handle was going to release. We checked with Ferno and they had stated that there had been a "voluntary recall" of the Excaliburs and that we could have done a one-for-one trade for a new (different) model.....unfortunately we found out too late. They did volunteer to give us $1000 off the purchase of two new Fernos

We decided to replace both Ferno's a little over a year ago. We looked at the Ferno Flex and the Stryker Rugged...probably to of the more popular designs around. Briarcliff was using a ProFlex on their new rig and Ossining was running Strykers. Briarcliff's reviews were mixed, but OVAC was fairly positive about the Strykers.

We found that there was really no difference in cost. The Stryker was heavier (slightly), but seemed to be more durable. The Ferno was lighter, but (again) the leg release was temperamental.

The bottom line was that we were not in the mood to bench press a patient multiple times to release the legs....

We tried out a brand new Stryker for a few months and ended up buying two of them. Most companies will lend you a demo for a few weeks to try out on your rigs.

PM me if you need contact info for the company reps...I'd be happy to help.

Edited by SHAC7301

The new Stryker Autolift Stretchers are hot! When used properly, they really save you a lot of work.

As far as Ferno goes, I have used many models. It seems many of their newer models are a direct response to Stryker....the ProFlexx is theoratically a nice model...but the quality and durabilty is HORRIBLE.

I would suggest going with the Strtyker Rugged. We have been using them for about to years now and they work great. The only downside is that you can't fit them into a small cramped space. Otherwise it's a great choice.

The Autolift is cool, but HEAVY! And pricey, too. I'm lookin' to get one for our ambulances.

I was at an EMS conference this weekend in Rochester where they had a couple of new autolift stretchers, Stryker wants about 10 grand for the autolift....saves backs and works off of a Scott(sp?) pack...another company wants 6,900

The Stryker Autolifts work off a Dewalt Battery pack, same as you'd use in your cordless drill.

I liked the regular old Ferno models that were metal, I can't remember the model number, but the "one person" type that the 2nd person only had to lift the wheels for you. They were light and durable, which is all I ask for and they worked.

Another bus at a former department I worked for had a Rugged. I hated that piece of $h!t. I know they say its rated for like 500 lbs, but 350ers made it sound like it wanted to collapse, it was too heavy, and the oversized wheels made hard work on the back when you had to raise it up an extra inch or so for the wheels get inside the bus.

I've also seen the stryker model and again, other then the increased cost, see no benefit over what I had with the metal ferno model.

You want to save backs and gain efficiency, get the stair chair with the treads. This should be a industry (profession) standard carrying device.