Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Training Center vs. Drill Grounds

6 posts in this topic

Recently, I have heard of many departments planning or considering building their own "training center".

Among my ponderings today, I thought of something. Are these departments building a training center, or are they building drill grounds????

I think there is a significant difference between the two places.

A training center, is like WCFTC.....a regional, dedicated, fully equipped and modern place to learn new skills and practice current ones, that is staffed by certified, experienced fire instructors at an appropriate ratio.

A drill grounds is a dedicated place for a department to go, most likely in their community, to train in house and locally to hone and practice skills often. These drill grounds have structures to train in, etc but are not fully fledged training centers, as described above.

I was wondering if anyone else felt there was a difference between the two types of training facilities??? I think community drill grounds can be a good idea, but I think it would be detrimental to everyone for a department to try and compete with WCFTC, or neglect its services.

Edited by x635

I have to agree with X635, the purpose of the site that Croton FD is trying to construct is to increase our training capabilities. The main purpose is not to replace the training center but to have a facility to use at our leisure. The training ground will be for vehicle extrications, and trailers to use for mask confidence or simulated structures. Since time is hard to come by for most volunteers we have chosen to construct these grounds to satisfy this problem. I am 100% sure that the Croton FD will still be utilizing the County Training facilities even after the construction of our proposed site.

But yes, there is a difference between Training Center and Training ground in my eyes. Just keep in mind an area 100'X75' is no were close to the facilities our county has available.

Edited by 1191stdue

one problem i see with the county facility is that when you want to go have live fire training, you have to go elsewhere because the county dose not have a class a burn building. They have a tank car though!

I have to agree with X635, the purpose of the site that Croton FD is trying to construct is to increase our training capabilities. The main purpose is not to replace the training center but to have a facility to use at our leisure. The training ground will be for vehicle extrications, and trailers to use for mask confidence or simulated structures. Since time is hard to come by for most volunteers we have chosen to construct these grounds to satisfy this problem. I am 100% sure that the Croton FD will still be utilizing the County Training facilities even after the construction of our proposed site.

But yes, there is a difference between Training Center and Training ground in my eyes. Just keep in mind an area 100'X75' is no were close to the facilities our county has available.

Sounds like a good reason to me. Its a good idea having a designated area like this to be able to do any sort of training, you really can't depend on municipal parking lots and school lots all the time. Also if you have limited room at your station traning space is limited. Even if it is to just set up an aerial or water operations.

one problem i see with the county facility is that when you want to go have live fire training, you have to go elsewhere because the county dose not have a class a burn building. They have a tank car though!

so then where does the WCFTC do their live training?

so then where does the WCFTC do their live training?

If you aren't lucky enough to either be in a community with access to burnable donated homes or know someone in one of those towns, you had better start making friends in other counties.