Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

What's With Hurst?

14 posts in this topic

So, recently I had the oppurtunity to use a Hurst-brand tool(s) for the first time, and I was not impressed at all. They seemed very heavy and akward to use. The spreaders took two people to hold, and could be very fatiguing at a bigger incident. I don't know if it's because the tools I used were older models, but the firefighters I spoke with who used the tools say they come that way even nowadays.

I also had the oppurtunity to use both Lukas and Amkus brand tools, which were much lighter and seemingly just as powerful.

Interestingly enough, Hurst bought Lukas, which is now Hurst Centaur brand and Hurst has also incorporated Lukas designs into their newer models.

I hear a lot of good things about Holomatro, but have never used them.

Not having much experience with pins or Hurst brand tools......is it just me, or is Hurst living on a legend?? I don't know...it just seems to me all the other manufacturers are coming up with these advances way before Hurst.

Edited by x635

I agree! The Hurst spreader is pretty heavy. It does depend on how old the unit is though. The 32A is the original spreader that weighs somewhere around 80 pounds. My department has one of these units but also 2 combo Maverick units that are pretty easy to handle individually because they weigh almost half of the 32A. The Maverick tool has more spreading force than the 32A so it is now used as our primary extrication tool. Although it is not the best at cutting, it does seem to pop doors, with no problems. We keep the old 32A because it has a much wider spread than the Maverick. We do cut A and sometimes smaller B posts with the Maverick tool but large cuts are still performed with our primary Hurst Cutter. X635, I don't want you to think that all Hurst tools are as akward as the one you may have used. My department runs Hurst only, and all the AVET classes I've taken have used only Hurst so I have never really been too exposed to other types of units, so don't think this is a plug for Hurst. I have heard really good things about tools with the twist handle control. That's one thing I don't really like about the Hursts. You can only comfortably operate them in the upright position because of their trigger control.

My department has switched to Holmatro from Hurst. and we love it. Holmatro is 40% lighter then Hurst on the combo tool. With the Holmatro many of the operations are one man compared to two man with the Hurst. Overall I htink the Holmatro is a better product.

Nice to see I do have some influence here and there. You did a great job brother, even with that heavy piece of crap mixed in.

Still impressed you got that roof off in that postion?

In bedford hills, we use lukas tools. we got them before they were taken over by hurst. These things are very light, easy to control, and are powerful enough to get through alot. there are some jobs where we need to take a few extra bites in some new spots because its not the most powerful. i have never used hurst but i have picked one up. they are much heavier then the old lukas.

I am far from an expert but I have used Hurst, Lukas and Holmatro. Holmatro is hands down the best thing going. What the have out all ready and many of their new innovations are excellent. Lukas is great, but I find they lack the power and spread of the other two. The newest Hurst Centaur line is a great step foreward that I think makes Hurst competitive with everyone else out there...besides, if they're ever found again that be one of the new toys in Pleasantville

in port chester rescue 40 uses all hurst.they are heavy but they are very dependable tools and are very tough and take a beating. are 32a is from 1978 and its are first tool off the rig at an extrication.

Homer, funny enough I think the thumb activator is less stable then the twist handle. A closed grip is more stronger and stable then only 4 fingers. It allows you to get the tool in positions where access to the controls is easier. If your having problems with twisting it maybe caused by putting too much torque on the twist control.

Homer, funny enough I think the thumb activator is less stable then the twist handle. A closed grip is more stronger and stable then only 4 fingers. It allows you to get the tool in positions where access to the controls is easier.  If your having problems with twisting it maybe caused by putting too much torque on the twist control.

While a closed grip is stronger, you have to "break" your wrist to operate the holmatro. Once you take your wrist out of alignment, you are placing much of that weight in your hand and on your forearm. Like with anything you have to get use to using your equipment. People who are comfortable using the twist control will postion their hand so that when they activate the tool their wrist is straight. I prefer the thumb control since I can twist, lift, pull, whatever I want to do to that tool without having to stop opperating it.

NY great input. I have great upper body strength so I have never experienced any problems with the twisting.

I have used the following tools in my time: Hurst, Holmatro, Amkus, Lukas & Phoenix. I think thats everyone but TNT. I personally think the new Holmatro stuff is the cat's tail but thats not the reasoning for this post its a question to other Hurst users. My FD has Hurst and we recently go a new O cutter and the tool gets extremely hot, I mean hot enough to burn bare skin. Has anyone else had this happen. The dealer we deal with out of NJ sent us a letter saying that it is not an issue and Hurst is aware of it. Any input??

Well if its a danger to your members, pull it. Enough to burn skin is a little out there however the user should be protected with full ppe using it anyway;o) I would now contact hurst directly or perhaps talk with another dealer too to see if anyone else has had this problem. From personal experience, my rescue(Stratfield FD R-15) in Fairfield has all hurst tools, combi, o cutters, rams spreaders and large spreaders, even tho they're old we love em, they are reliable and get the job done. And believe me they get used ALot with the merrit parkway and 95 both in our town as well as Park Ave a 4 lane road right in our district. Who knows maybe it is a pump problem too, giving the tool too much pressure, wrong oil, low oil etc..., I'd at least have the whole unit serviced and checked over by a sales/service rep.

Edited by cas2383

I am a big Lukas/Centaur Tool fan for several reasons, technology, engineering and performance. I would really like to know more about Holmatro and the new CORE technology. Has anybody used it and or switched to it?

As far as which company has the best control system? Lukas/Centaur has a star grip controller which allows the user to feather the tool without the user breaking their wrists or having to stop and reposition. It is by far the best when it comes to control. Holmatro second and I always felt Hurst was the hardest to control. Maybe just because it was the heaviest and still is! I always felt extrication was more finesse then brut force. A Hurst 32A will get the job done but why kill yourself when there so much better out there.

Stay safe.

i love hurst. they are dependable, and take a beating like no other tool. it is a heavy tool, but hurst combo tools are lighter 1 man tools and are great.

also servicing that hurst offers is out of this world. they are really helpful