Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers Apparatus Updates?

15 posts in this topic

Any word yet on who won the Bids for the 3 Additional Pumpers (303, 314, & 304) and for the 2 Rear Mount Ladders (70 & 74) and the New Rescue 1? (I would suspect ALF for the Pumpers and Rescue and Smeal for the Ladders, but I may be wrong). Any update on the New Squad 311's arrivial and the REFURB on that Ladder that was in the back of Station 10, that was sent to Texron? (What designation will that ladder be given? - Since YFD already has a Spare 76, 77 [Old TL 75], 78 and 79)?

just one small question, why are they getting a new rescue, isn't the current one fine, and then what would they do with this one?

I think the current Res1cue would become a spare.

I heard YFD was replacing their Rescue cause it is just too small for the equipment they need to carry. The current one will become a spare.

Also, thanks for the info on the Rescue. Any news on that Refurbed Ladder Truck that was behind Station 10? Also, any news on SQ311, 314, 303, 304, 70 and 74?

Last I heard, there are some in YFD who want a second Rescue. Also, there is talk of having one Rescue and one HAZMAT unit, possibly the "old" Rescue. The second

proposal makes a lot of sense to me, since there is still plenty of HAZMAT potential in Yonkers.

Edited by Stepjam

StepJam - Good Points. But, isn't the New Squad 311 (Especially once they get their New ALF Rescue/Pumper), supposed to also support Rescue 1, in regards to HazMat, Homeland Security, CBRN, etc? I think that YFD is leaning towards getting a New R1 and making the current R1 (R2?) as the Spare. Your thoughts?

Well, I am not a Yonkers Firefighter, but I have been told by more than one YFF with whom I'm aquainted that many of the rank-and file Firefighters want a second Rescue. I would too if I worked in a city the size of Yonkers. I'm no authority, but I listen closely to what is said where Yonkers and its convoluted politics are concerned. It's always fascinating.

It was suggested to me that there is considerable resistance to a second unit from Rescue 1 itself and its patrons, since the Rescue Company is "elite". Now, that could just be sour grapes from a couple of guys or kitchen table scuttlebutt, so take it as you will.

I don't think that having two seperate Rescue Companies, along with at least one Squad, is a stretch. Two hundred thousand plus people in a fifteen square mile area, that is disected by three major arterials seems to be a reasonable expectation from a professional fire department of this caliber. The Pols in Yonkers have already squeezed the manpower and equipment in YFD to the limit, why not staff and equip the department to a level that is consistent with its mission?

I could not agree with you more. I, too, am NOT a Firefighter, but have enough knowledge within the City of Yonkers and the response times throughout the city, to know that a "Second" Rescue Unit from YFD, stationed in the East Side, would make sense. Having a YFD Rescue 2, stationed at Station 11 (which in my opinion, is the most "Centralized" YFD Station on the EAST SIDE), would allow optimum coverage of the East Side by a YFD Rescue Unit, and thus would elliminate Rescue One, having to come all the way across from Station 1 (Hdqrs), to respond to an alarm, say in the North End within say, Station 14's coverage area.

Maybe having Rescue 1, be a Specialized HazMat, CBRN, Type of Unit, along with having "Standard Issue" Rescue Equipement, with Recuse 2 being a Specialized Building Collapse Type of Unit, again, along with having the "Standard Issue" Rescue Equipment, might have been the way to go?

Currently, R1's runs to the East Side, places an unnecessary mileage and ware and tear on the R1 Rig. A "Second" Rescue Unit, would elliminate that need.

However, I think that the creation of Squad 311 (From Engine 311) was the City's way of having some sort of Quasi-Rescue Coverage from the East Side, without having to create a New Company.

Your thoughts?

Station 11 would be the wrong place for a 2nd Rescue. St 7 or a new firehouse

for 10 on Tuckahoe rd. would be better . Either way, its a pipe dream.

AS for the squad, there main function is to be an engine company , not to

be a quasi-rescue company. They do however operate as a support company to

rescue for collapses and confined space incedents. Other engine companies have similar functions.

Saw a Mack on Tuckahoe Rd. this Wed. with a 307 placard on the side. Thought they had a HME/Smeal.

Saw a Mack on Tuckahoe Rd. this Wed. with a 307 placard on the side. Thought they had a HME/Smeal.

All spare/reserve rigs have been fitted with frames over their spare/reserve number - when a in service company uses a spare/reserve they drop their placard into the frame over the spare/reserve number

Yeah, that looked pretty cool. I saw 308 running a Mack the other day at the 2 alarmer. Much neater than seeing a spare and not knowing who is using it.