Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

Apparatus driving age?

21 posts in this topic

What is the driving age for your dept for fly cars, cheifs vehical, brush trucks, engine, ladder, ect ect in your deptartments?

Down here in FL im starting to drive at 19, could have started at 18, but back Home its 21.

While I think its common to NYS, in Croton Falls, our minimum age to drive all fire apparatus is 21. I have heard rumors that this can be bypassed if u have a CDL, but then again i doubt its possible for a 18 year old to get one.. Does anyone from CFFD know if NSVAC's Driver age requirement is different?

reason im asking is because ive heard from people in my FF I class

(westchester) were driving the apparatus at 18, ambulances and engines, and yorktown is 21. Im not going to give dept names out.

reason im asking is because ive heard from people in my FF I class

(westchester)  were driving the apparatus at 18, ambulances and engines, and yorktown is 21. Im not going to give dept names out.

Many Depts have it at 21, but some Depts with manpower issues have it at 18 or 19. Personaly I think 19 is a fair age to start driving the rigs. In my Dept the first rig you train on is the brush truck and rescue. Then the engines.

My friend in another Dept insists that is is 21 then again ;)

Our Department driving age is 19.

Members must be active for a minimum of one year. They must also complete an EVOC, and requalify annually on everything they are qualified on.

Our Ambulances, on the other hand, personnel can qualify at 18. They must have 6 months in the Department, complete an EVOC, complete First Aid & CPR and requalify annually.

Even though these are the "standards," more and more members choose not to drive for a few years so they can learn other things first.

As for driving the Fly-Cars, if you can't drive a Department vehicle, you can't drive a Medic Unit.

Our Department driving age is 19.

Members must be active for a minimum of one year.  They must also complete an EVOC, and requalify annually on everything they are qualified on.

Our Ambulances, on the other hand, personnel can qualify at 18.  They must have 6 months in the Department, complete an EVOC, complete First Aid & CPR and requalify annually.

Even though these are the "standards," more and more members choose not to drive for a few years so they can learn other things first.

As for driving the Fly-Cars, if you can't drive a Department vehicle, you can't drive a Medic Unit.

So besides the dept, what determines the driving age? Some say state law. Does that have any validity?

So besides the dept, what determines the driving age? Some say state law. Does that have any validity?

Some people tell me of the " sate law" of 21 years old but i cant find any truth to it

While I think its common to NYS, in Croton Falls, our minimum age to drive all fire apparatus is 21.  I have heard rumors that this can be bypassed if u have a CDL, but then again i doubt its possible for a 18 year old to get one..  Does anyone from CFFD know if NSVAC's Driver age requirement is different?

You need to be 21 to even have a CDL

You need to be 21 to even have a CDL

you need a CDL to drive the apparatus?

you need a CDL to drive the apparatus?

No.

Per New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law a CDL is not required to drive fire apparatus.

Title 5 Driver' Licenses

Article 19 Licensing of Drivers

Section 501 (d) Exceptions

....a police or fire vehicle owned and identified as being owned by the state, a political subdivision thereof, an ambulance service...may be operated with any class license other than a class DJ, M or MJ license.

In short, any individual with a licence, with the exception of junior or motorcycle only is allowed to drive fire and ems vehicles.

The 21 year of age requirement many departments have is a recommendation that the insurance carriers give. I know ESIP recommends drivers be 21 or older.

No.

Per New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law a CDL is not required to drive fire apparatus. 

Title 5 Driver' Licenses

Article 19 Licensing of Drivers

Section 501 (d) Exceptions

....a police or fire vehicle owned and identified as being owned by the state, a political subdivision thereof, an ambulance service...may be operated with any class license other than a class DJ, M or MJ license.

In short, any individual with a licence, with the exception of junior or motorcycle only is allowed to drive fire and ems vehicles.

The 21 year of age requirement many departments have is a recommendation that the insurance carriers give.  I know ESIP recommends drivers be 21 or older.

hmmmmm do the insurance companies require 21 or recomomend it?

In Katonah, you need to be 21 years old, with a minimum of 1 year in Dept.

insurance says 21, and the district says it also, after being a chief, 21 is fine for us it works well, you need training and time in before you can drive. No CDL required, and by the way state law says you can get a CDL at 18 but you can not drive out of state till 21, I can say though that as far as I am consirned you should have to get a CDL, it sure would not hurt driving a rig is not like driving a car, put the lights and siren on it and that adds that much more, yes I do have a CDL but I did not when I went on the drivers list, you really do get a lot more respect and understanding of everything at least I did.

In Katonah, you need to be 21 years old, with a minimum of 1 year in Dept.

insurance says 21, and the district says it also, after being a chief, 21 is fine for us it works well, you need training and time in before you can drive. No CDL required, and by the way state law says you can get a CDL at 18 but you can not drive out of state till 21, I can say though that as far as I am consirned you should have to get a CDL, it sure would not hurt driving a rig is not like driving a car, put the lights and siren on it and that adds that much more, yes I do have a CDL but I did not when I went on the drivers list, you really do get a lot more respect and understanding of everything at least I did.

my bad,you need to be 21 for a class A CDL or a hazmat endorsement, 18 for B or C class CDL

Firefighter one has no driving in it according to New York State.

Any thing above a 9 passenger vehicle and according to the L.I. series-some of their apparatus are 10 passenger you must have a CDL. Im sure this includes and Fire department buses or vans.

In pleasantville you have to be 21 to be a "certified" driver, but can driver train before 21

To drive any apparatus in my district, chief's car, or any district vehicle, you must be 21 years of age. I have heard that a neighboring department to mine is 18 for a flycar and brush truck, 21 for engines, and 23 for tankers. This is unverified, but I did get the info from a reliable source.

To drive any of the pick up's or chief's trucks you need to be the legal driving age, 17. Any other piece in the houses you need to be 18.

In my dept. its 18 to drive the ambulances and Rescue, Engines and Tanker u must be 21 but we are changing the insurance policy so that you can be 18 to be quilified on everything, so I guess it has to do with your departments insurance policy

In my dept. its 18 to drive the ambulances and Rescue, Engines and Tanker u must be 21 but we are changing the insurance policy so that you can be 18 to be quilified on everything, so I guess it has to do with your departments insurance policy

maybe I should talk to my chief / whoever is in charge of insurance.....

Emergency vehicles are not commercial vehicles whilst owned and operated for that purpose so NO repeat NO CDL is required in NY.

:) In CT you have to be 18 to get a Q license which is an endorsement on your license to operate fire apparatus without a CDL. The test is very similar to get the Q compared to the CDL. I am a member of Monroe F.D. and Long Hill F.D. and they both use 18 as the age to begin to drive.

Drive safely,

Joe Birarelli