Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
csf248

good schools?

19 posts in this topic

anyone know any good schools for arson investigation?

i heard the university of new haven has a good program of fire science, with a concentration in arson

I'm curently a sophomore at the University of New Haven. It has an excellent Fire Science program. They offer majors in Arson Investigation, Fire Dept. Admin. & Fire Protection (sprinker systems, alarm systems etc.). I am majoring in Arson Investigation right now, but at the end of the semester I plan on adding Fire Admin. (Its only 6 extra courses which can be taken as elective courses. UNH is only about an hour or so from Westchester. If you want any more info let me know.

I'm a graduate from UNH, and when I was looking the only other NY north was in MA. I think it was Santa Anna or something. Anyways I must say that UNH has grown tremendously since I left. They have added additional fire science labs and are planning big things for the educational side. Since 2002 they have added 3 new dorms, so alot of the living facilities are modern. I'm not sure if GFD538 would agree but when I went there it was a suitcase college where everyone left on the weekends and I know UNH's social side is a little down with recent crackdowns at other New Haven regional universities. I suggest you make the trip up there its not very far, if you call them the school will give a tour and set you up for an overnight stay but if want I can put you in touch with alot of guys I still know there so you can see the other side and don't worry when you first arrive in West Haven you'll get use to living in the ghetto.

I'm not sure if GFD538 would agree but when I went there it was a suitcase college where everyone left on the weekends and I know UNH's social side is a little down

Yeah it's still like that but they seem to be trying pretty hard to change that.

when you first arrive in West Haven you'll get use to living in the ghetto.

I know what you mean. But I was comfortable enough to walk to the New Haven train station by myself granted it was daylight. Also the campus police & West Haven PD do a good job of keeping the area safe.

Since 2002 they have added 3 new dorms, so alot of the living facilities are modern.

Thankfully I am in the newest dorm on campus. It is the only one with A/C and has a Dunkin Donuts & Quiznos in it.

I would definitly recomend that anyone who is interested take a trip up for the day or come to an open house. The only problem with the open house is that it is not always a true representation of what the school is truely like.

Edited by GFD538

GFD538 A/C are you kidding me? my alumni donations go towards A/C in the dorms, damn in sheffield you use not be about to control your own apt's temp and the heat use to be on in the summer before they fixed that. Like I personally believe, its what you make of it but thats any school. Back in the day the tours would just stop by and alot of the rooms were still wrecked from the night before and we use to have a post we would put up that said "thank you for leaving your daughters" and no one ever stopped us, I guess thats the new image, take an unscheduled day trip I'll hook you up with some guys to give you a tour

Some additional colleges I am applying to:

Anna Maria College (Not Santa Maria lol), It's located about 1 hour west of Boston, in the woods pretty much lol. From what It looks, it seems like a great school. I just applied so I'm waiting on feedback. I am also applying to UNH.

Also check out:

University Of Maryland

Providence College

John Jay College

District of Columbia University

New Jersey City University

All of these have good Fire Programs I am told.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Edited by DFFD227

sorry about that, i know it was Anna something I still remember that when i looked at it the two things that impressed me most 1. that they had collective bargaining as a class and 2. they had like 4 times more females than males.

Dutchess Community College is now in its 3rd semester of the new Fire Science program being offered by the college. So far, it seems to be going strong with lots of interest. The college offers a 2 year A.A.S. Degree for Fire Protection Technology, as well as a 2 year A.S. in Fire and Occupational Safety, with the option for a transfer on to a 4-year college.

Anna Maria College is 70% women.

I have my masters in Forensics from UNH, took a bunch of Arson classes. Their program there is top knotch!

thank you all

it seems unh is well worth the money.

i would also like to know about things outside the classroom

Well, oustide the classroom the town is ok (West Haven is a little run down) But as far as the campus, its beautiful, the ratio of girls to guys was 2:1 when i went there (except in the Fire Sci dept, mostly dudes). The best thing is that you are so close to New Haven, that town i great at night, tons of bars, clubs lounges, galleries, concerts etc. Plus the mix of different people from UNH, Yale, So Conn, Quinnipiac etc.

If your question was referring to like out of class training, ithere really is not much of that, i know you go to any suspicious fires in the area, bc the teacher is or was the DC of West Haven FD (career).

Also look at University of Maryland, a guy I went to college with transferred there to get his fire science degree. From what other firefighters in Delaware and Maryland have said its a really good program. There is also a station on College Park's campus that allows students to ride.

West Haven also use to have a bunkie program, and my old roomates use to ride as firefighters there once or twice a week. The only draw back of being a bunkie is that you won't experience college, so if you want to do both do what my old roomates did. WHFD even put them through Firefighter 1, this was back when guys were still just taking essentials in NYS. There are also alot of great intern oppurtunities in the greater New Haven area. I'm going to be in New Haven/West Haven hitting it hard thursday & friday, I'll stop by UNH and get some updates on the ride along & bunkie thing and ask a few of the brothers how things have changed at the school class & activity wise.

from what I see, West Haven looks to be a very large fire department. But Allingtown which I guess is a company within WHFD, is right around the corner from UNH. So If I go to college down there, I would be able to apply for membership for that fire department? Does anyone have any more information on the bunk program down there? Thanks.

from what I see, West Haven looks to be a very large fire department. But Allingtown which I guess is a company within WHFD, is right around the corner from UNH. So If I go to college down there, I would be able to apply for membership for that fire department? Does anyone have any more information on the bunk program down there? Thanks.

The city of West Haven has three seperate fire districts: Allingtown, West Shore and West Haven Center. All three are combination departments. UNH is in Allingtown's district. They run a Tower Ladder, Engine & Rescue out of H/Q and an engine out of a second house. The second house is manned by the volunteer members, H/Q is run by the paid FF's. I think West Haven center runs a bunking program but I don't know any of the details. I am currently a member of Allingtown. They don't have a bunking program, bu they do allow volunteer FF's to spend the night & ride out of the paid house. I don't really know too much about what the other two departments run and how they are staffed

Edited by GFD538

how is Allingtown FD? are they busy? And if there is a call how would you get to the call, say if you were at school?

Allingtown is fairly busy. I'm not sure exactly how many runs they do. There are 5 career FF's per shift to man the TL, engine & rescue. The volunteer house is only about a 5-10 minute walk from campus depending on where your dorm is. The volunteer engine responds on all calls except EMS & MVA's. Allingtown FD does a great job especially considering the financial issues. Due to money issues, they don't issues gear to UNH students, however, if you bring your gear from your home department, they will cover any damage that happens to it.

Dutchess Community College is now in its 3rd semester of the new Fire Science program being offered by the college. So far, it seems to be going strong with lots of interest. The college offers a 2 year A.A.S. Degree for Fire Protection Technology, as well as a 2 year A.S. in Fire and Occupational Safety, with the option for a transfer on to a 4-year college.

how is dutchess? is it a very respected college considering its a community college.

Edited by Firefighter57