Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY Probie Assignments?

11 posts in this topic

Question for an FDNY member or anyone who might know. Are probies normally assigned to busy houses or can they end up in slow houses like City Island etc?

Damn, city island as probie...thats just cruel. Also makes for a potentially useless probie. I can't imagine the city risking an ff finishing their probie rotation with a chance they may not have even seen a fire.

Damn, city island as probie...thats just cruel.  Also makes for a potentially useless probie.  I can't imagine the city risking an ff finishing their probie rotation with a chance they may not have even seen a fire.

The city assigns probies to companies that need to be staffed or into areas where the overtime is too high. There are many factors that play into where someone will be assigned. Where you live, where you claim to live when getting city residency points, who you know, who knows you, how you did in probie school. There was a guy who screwed up in probie school, not bad enough to be fired, but bad enough that he was assigned to the a** end of Staten Island. He lived as far north in Orange County as was possible. How's that for a commute?

Question for an FDNY member or anyone who might know. Are probies normally assigned to busy houses or can they end up in slow houses like City Island etc?

Probies are assigned to houses that need to be staffed. But the Academy determines who goes where based on their test scores and on there practical skills. The Department would never assign a probie to City Island or Governers Island. They only send Senior Firefighters to those houses. Some probies do very well in the Academy but still end up in slow houses. Not everyone lucks out and gets into a busy house.

And for any of you hoping to get on the job......don't worry about where you will be assigned. Just shut your mouth, learn the job, and get in the sink!

And for any of you hoping to get on the job......don't worry about where you will be assigned.  Just shut your mouth,  learn the job, and get in the sink!

Ahh, the sink and the coffee maker. Along with the mop and bucket, those were my only friends for the first few months, for sure.

Not to mention polishing all the brass poles... ahhh the memories...

There was a guy who screwed up in probie school, not bad enough to be fired, but bad enough that he was assigned to the a** end of Staten Island.  He lived as far north in Orange County as was possible.  How's that for a commute?

But when your only making the trip 8 times a month. Does it really matter?

At the academy they put a stethscope to your chest.If it goes boom-boom-boom really strong .....ya go to the truck.If it's a faint pitter patter you go on the engine.

To anyone I may offend..I'm just kidding.A Jake I know used to tell that joke all the time.Never gets old

At the academy they put a stethscope to your chest.If it goes boom-boom-boom really strong .....ya go to the truck.If it's a faint pitter patter you go on the engine.

To anyone I may offend..I'm just kidding.A Jake I know used to tell that joke all the time.Never gets old

HAHAHAHAHA.......thats the story I was told!!!!! :D