Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONLOCATION

Gold Leaf or Vinyl/Reflective Decals/Stripping

17 posts in this topic

Should you stay old School with Gold Leaf markings and Emblems on Newer Apparatus or just do decals and get it over with. Cheaper or Elegance, Conservative or Neon Sign, What do you Prefer?

I have always liked the Classic Gold Leaf Pin Striping, Decal and Lettering. Alot of the Major Cities have gone away from that, going towards the White on Red, with Bold Painted Rig Numbers. Mount Vernon, New Rochelle and Yonkers have gone that way. I think White Plains still does some Gold Leaf, but I am not sure. I remember how "Classy" the Old Yonkers Rigs were back in the 1960's and Early 1970's, when they Gold Leafed all of their rigs, with a Bright Reflective Circle Stamp on the Front Nose of all of their rigs, signifying the Unit Number (as well in small numbers under the Rig Number, the Year and Purchase ID). That was then and this is now I guess. I just boils down to cost and practicality.

Gold leafing is VERY expensive. You're better to take the $$ that you would have paid for the gold leafing, use reflective vinyl and improve the equipment on the rig.

Edited by dadbo46

Last new delivery I saw in my area has gold-leafed lettering on a vinyl sticker of some sort, as opposed to directly on the rig. I guess that makes it easier to correct any problems that may arise.

I am also a big fan of murals. Depending on what it looks usually looks like. This is pretty detailed and historical.

post-2471-1134358993.jpg

What ever you do don't do sign gold I think that stuff looks terrible. As per the comment about the gold leaf on a vinyl that maybe a sign gold or it maybe the covering that some gold leaf artists are using to protect their work. I however have seen a few murals that were painted on a clear film, applied, details hand added once on the rig and another clear film put over it for protection.

We ordered our new piece with gold leaf lettering and a stripe to separate the top & bottom colors of our cab. We had the money to do so left over in out budget for the truck. If we didn't we would have gone with something else. However we did not spec any accet striping except for thecab boarder stripe.

I believe that if you are lettering a cheif's car, reflective is the way to go. It is much easyer to take off and you can get more money for the car if sold to the public. On fire Apparatus i like gold leaf. It looks more sleek and traditional. On Kisco's new Ambulance we have the gold leaf decaled on and it looks pretty close to real. I like Bedford Hills Apparatus all lettered by Forest.

how much is gold leafing?? emblems?? use the mony to send your firefighters to fire classes or seminars. I havent seena gold leaf or emblem put out a fire. althought i'm sure they look impressive at parades and things but brothers it's time to loook in the mirror and see our selves. if its a new truck have the manufacturer install something extra.

how much is gold leafing?? emblems?? use the mony to send your firefighters to fire classes or seminars.  I havent seena gold leaf or emblem put out a fire. althought i'm sure they look impressive at parades and things but brothers it's time to loook in the mirror and see our selves.  if  its a new truck  have the manufacturer  install something extra.

Actually Fire capt, a lot of people like to keep tradition alive. Heck look at FDNY, they had gold leaf up until the 70's I think. Yes it can be expensive and that has to be looked at. But if a company wants to add "flare" so to speak and are willing to pay for it themselves (not district / department money) then why not. Of course you then have compaies and Departments that go overboard, but that is another issue. Mainly it's traditional, plus now there are so many "gold leaf" alternatives that resemble it, that is the future. I beleive gone are the days of 22k and 14k. We got it on our truck because we paid for it and not the town and the stlying has been the same on three trucks now. Since we did this, we were able to do more with the truck itself, though it was a smaller amount but it helped.

I am not arguing with you at all, just a point of view and I respect yours as well. There are a lot of options out there.

FireCapt has it right. Lets not buy something for the sake of tradition just because we have "always" had. Us e the $$ to invest in education or better safety equipment.

...and using the $$ just because it is in the budget is poor management. Use the $$ because you need something worthwhile,...not because it's left over !

Izzy when you say that the company should "pay for it" them selves please answer me just one question where does the company cet the money? if its from a public source ie donations from the public/fund raisers ect you might just want to rethink how you are spending public money nowa days.

people donating money to a fire department just might not think its was what they were donating the money for, How do youexlpain to Mrs. Smith who is 85 yrs old that her hard earned money that she gave on the local fund drive was being used for gold leaf on a fire apparatus just because its the "Tridiation" some just my thoughts

Izzy  when you say that the company should "pay for it" them selves please answer me  just  one question  where does the company cet the money? if its from a public source ie donations from the public/fund raisers ect you might  just want to rethink how you are spending public money nowa days.

people donating money to a fire department just might  not think its was what they were donating the money for, How do youexlpain to Mrs. Smith who is 85 yrs old that her hard earned money that she gave on the local fund drive was being used for gold leaf on a fire apparatus  just because its the "Tridiation" some just my thoughts

Hey Capt.

Well being an Irishman, I have to answer that question with a question. How does a firehouse get a coffee or lunch fund going? Simple, we put money from our own pockets back into the company so we can get an "add on" so to speak. Where does this money come from? Simple, yearly dues, sale of snacks and soft drinks, and company social events for members. We do not use any public donations for "cosmetic" applications. Any public donations are put to use what we advertise trying to raise. Public donations would go mostly to simple up keep of the quarters all the way to buying a piece of equipment that would be utilized for public saftey.

So in short, when I say the company should pay for it, I am saying the funds should come from the membership's pockets. Spending public donations for "cosmetic" stuff has always been a no no here. Public monies has always been spent for up keep of equipment and purchasing new equipment.

Hope this clears up what I meant.

Edited by IzzyEng4

The gold leaf Sticker combo and pin striping looks real cool on Englewood Cliffs NJ 's EC 2

thanks Izzy clear up the matter for me.

I do know of some departments the collect fund drive money split it between them selves and just spend it any way they want. that is a no no any money colected has to be spent wisely and in accordence with the laws of new york.

I like the gold leaf the best on newer apparatus.

When I decided to re-stripe BMFD's E93 I looked at Sign-Gold and found it looked like it was done by a machine. Every swirl matched. Hand done gold leaf has a less perfect look.

In doing my reasearch I stumbled across RJ Marx in Wisconsin. Looking at their website I took a stroll through their portfolio and fell off my chair when I came upon our own maltese design. Then it hit me that RJ Marx is the gold leafer for Pierce. Their process is manual but the sizing is done on an adhesive backing with a laminated covering. Up close it looks synthetic but from 10 paces you can't tell the difference between the traditionally done striping on the rear of our rig and the new stuff on the cab.

The cost is roughly $12 per foot installed. Traditional gold leaf is around the $20/ft. range. The one thing I don't like about the RJ Marx solution are the corner designs. However, if you are willing to pay for it they will draw up anything you want.

Net net, I say go with the newer technology but keep the gold leaf tradition going and use reflective striping for command cars. A combination of gold leafing and reflective striping and lettering can provide a good traditional result and raise the safety margin.

That's just one buffs opinion.