Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Nextel Service...Is It Bad For You Too?

11 posts in this topic

Is it just me, maybe my phone being an older model (i730), or is Nextel's service getting worse by the day?

The reception quality SUCKS...big time, even in areas with a strong signal that have been great in the past. The person you're talking too is always garbled. My calls get dropped. Sometimes, I call someone and it will disconnect me for no reason while the call is ringing, or I can't even get a tower/signal with the phone showing full bars.

I'd switch from Nextel in a heartbeat, but I feel like I am trapped, I have so many people's Direct Connect ID only. And I do love that feature, but with service quality the way it is lately, and the price I pay, I don't know if it's even worth it now.

And although maybe's it my phone, in order to get a new phone for a reasonable price, I have to commit to 2 years more of Nextel.

Maybe it's just the merger of the two systems, and things will get better as things become cohesive....but for now it's becoming very,very frusterating.

Edited by x635

Seems ike the direct connect fad is over and a lot of people are switching back to Verizon. Far superior service and better prices, and you cant beat their "In Network Calling" feature.

Completly understand you 110%. I have been going through the same, I also have a i730 and personally Nextel Recently SUCKS!! I really don't think its the Model phone due to the fact I know people with i1000's still and there having the same problem with the best, worst phone ever introduced.

What's up with when your trying to have a conversation and it ends your call and the phone stats "Try Later", If I wanted to talk later I would voluntarily talk later not by a phone telling me that crap. And also the constant re-dialing also?

Whatever it is there has to be something done period. If it has to do with the recent merge thats all well and good but don't screw loyal Nextel customers at the same time. Definitly know the feeling of the hole locked in Direct Connect feeling.

Seems ike the direct connect fad is over and a lot of people are switching back to Verizon. Far superior service and better prices, and you cant beat their "In Network Calling" feature.

But also think how many people aren't. Understand your point but pretty much every Emergency Services Agency Has Nextels and I don't think there going anywhere.

One second you have 5 bars and the next second you have none. What is up with that ?

Also, NEXTEL has significant dead spots along major highway corridors for which there is no excuse. Try using your NEXTEL on the Hutch between Weaver St. & Mamaroneck Ave. 684 is intermittent also from the Hutch to exit 3. And what is up with 684 just south of exit 4 (Rt. 172 - Mt. Kisco). It's like Area 51 there. the signal just dies !!!

Edited by dadbo46

Maybe it's just the merger of the two systems, and things will get better as things become cohesive....but for now it's becoming very,very frusterating.

Yes, the service has gotten worse. No doubt. The reason is simply one word - Capacity. More subscribers than the network can handle. This is one of the major reasons Nextel was acquired by Sprint. Nextels network operates on a 3:1 vocoder and in some limited cases a 6:1 vocoder, meaning 3 or 6 voice users per channel. On Sprints CDMA network it allows 20:1 or 20 voice users per channel (greater capacity). The long term plan is to migrate consumers over to the CDMA network and keep industry and public safety on IDEN. Motorola is producing a Dual-Mode handset to be introduced sometime later this year that will provide IDEN walkie-talkie sevice and CDMA phone service in one handset.

As for now unfortunately we've all become a victim of deterioration service. It is certainly frustrating and probably going to get even worse before it gets better. As for the merger and the systems, there is no corelation between the two. Both networks still operate independently of one another and have no bearing on the poor performance of Nextel's IDEN service. Hope this helps!

you can't blame capacity for the reason nextel SUCKS! i've had nextel almost from the beginning and now they just suck over a greater service area. while the larger service area has been nice they've done just about NOTHING to fill in the existing dead spots. they should have spent the time & money improving their service than sponsoring stock car races. they suck, i hate them but since they're the ones everyone has i'm stuck. did i mention they SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For every1one who has an older Nextel including the i860 camera phone, go to your nearest Nextel Representative and have the software on the phone upgraded. Nextel recently released this upgraded software, and since I have gotten this software upgrade, I have recieved better service in area's where some of you have talked about the dead-spots on the Hutch, 684 and Route 172. Get the software upgrade, it takes about 15 minutes and should improve your service on your phone.

Edited by 57truck

thank you 57. why do we have to stumble upon that info here? why isn't nextel giving this info with our bills so we're not constantly frustrated by their SUCK service???????? instead we get an envelope stuffed with offers to spend even more moeny on their junk. i'm glad to know now there's a fix for some of the problems i'm just pissed off they're not telling us rather trying to get us to buy new phones. what a creepy, sleazy company they are. NEXTEL SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can't blame capacity for the reason nextel SUCKS!

I'm giving you technological fact. Believe it or don't. I used to work for them and I can tell you it's all about capacity. Ive been using Nextel since September of 1997 and in those days if you remember they were primarily a "dispatch" service and almost no cellular aspect to their product offering. Now with over 22 million users and "Free Incoming" rate plans they're overloaded! If you talk to people they say "I go from 5 bars to no bars"! Thats the phone getting a signal and losing it to capacity. The walkie talkie or "Direct Connect" works on a "Frame Relay Network" which works along side the regular network and doesn't rely on the traditional switching network of the landline companies like cellular does. Probably the reason why the Government is looking at acquiring IDEN from Sprint after 2010. Believe me, I'm NOT sticking up for Nextel, I'm just giving you fact as to the problem. There's times I'm ready to throw mine out of the window!!! Hang in there..................

I got a new phone recently with the new software and my service has been great, no trouble at all.