Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Clear Text Vs. 10 Codes

10 posts in this topic

"Engine 411 is 10-19, 10-20 all incoming, apparent 10-16." Got it? Thats an easy one for most of us in Westchester. Now, take the same codes and relay them to your Police Dispatch. They make think you have an auto accident with injuries, requesting a tow and have a fire at the same time.

Personally, I feel that Clear-text is the way to go. It eliminates the potential for confusion, and it is something WE ALL CAN UNDERSTAND. Take Putnam for example, they do not use 10-codes in the Fire service and you know exactly whats going on all the time. Why go through the trouble of reading off a "code card" when you can say what needs to be said? Just some food for though...

Until next time.

I feel that it is a good idea to because now you can say engine 165 is responding or we are back in severice. Also you don't have to remember the 10-codes some codes like a 10-75 or 10-10 are codes that should be kept i think that the best plan would be a combe of both clear and 10 codes more clear text then 10-codes

I think that you need a mix of clear text and codes for communications, i'm just saying this for at least EMS....

EMS we are bound by HIPPA and other patient confidentiality laws and to say MEDIC 30 respond to XYZ Road for the person who is in ABC and then to say where you are Tranporting the person to can be held as a violation. In Yonkers where i work all communications w the Hospital is done over a cell phone and not on over air HEAR radios for people to listen too.

However i think clear text for FD is a good idea and would reduce confusion.

I used to work 3 different jobs that required three different sets of 10-codes, one of them even had several different sets of 10 codes.......plain talk would've been MUCH simpler LOL! 8)

Clear text for EMS and Fire sound like they are the best way to go. I mean, down by me in NJ, all emergency services are dispatched by the County Sheriff, and the only ones to use 10 codes are the local PDs and the Sheriff's units. I haven't been on long enough to experience the FD radio procedures, but all EMS units communicate with clear text so as to reduce confusion. It works out great because in PD lingo, 10-13 is officer down, and from what it was told to me, when 10 codes were used in the fire service, 10-13 meant that there was a confirmed working fire.

So whenever we communicate with County Dispatch, we usually say something to the effect of "EMS 1 from [unit number] responding" and we change that for the appropriate radio transmission (responding, arriving on scene, transporting patient with or without medics, patient rma, clear and available, etc.). Clear text is definitely the way to go because it is so much easier and reduces confusion immensely.

The County should switch to plain language while also adapting MDT's or the use os status buttons. Tompkins County in upsate NY utilizes the status buttons. It cuts down on all the BS radio traffic. County Dispatch acknowledges the unit after they receive the change in status. Also updates the CAD which frres up the dispatcher to do other work.

It sounds like a move to plain text vs. 10-codes would simplify our lives. However, I wonder if ten codes make life easier.... they do simplify radio transmissions, they help to keep channels free for emergency transmitions, and they standardize transmitions making it easier to understand what units responding/onscene/and returning are trying to communicate. Just playing devils advocate, I see plus' and minus' to both.

I like the status button idea, certainly has some good benefits on both sides.

Ten codes are good, but they should be uniform.

And 801, radio communication is not a HIPPA violation. Read carefully, we attempt to not give any personal information across the airwaves.

Both 10-codes and plain text, have their points. Like "CM36 said"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CM36 Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:18 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel that it is a good idea to because now you can say engine 165 is responding or we are back in severice. Also you don't have to remember the 10-codes some codes like a 10-75 or 10-10 are codes that should be kept i think that the best plan would be a combe of both clear and 10 codes more clear text then 10-codes

Their defiently should be a combination of 10 codes and plain text in the county. Like 10-75 should be kept, because it keeps radio traffic to a minimum, and now county can dispatch m/a depts if necessary in lesser time, than if more radio traffic was used. However having a MVA with entrapment is easier to said in plain text, rather than whatever 10 code means entrapment. Thats what I have for thought on the 10 codes