Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Truckie 1075

Will there be a March Probie Class for Westchester

79 posts in this topic

Heres more scoop---Eastchester has applied for a agility test for sometime on march most likely March 18 so no St Pat celebration for someof you guys, Class is scheduled to begin april 3 No one from White Plains is in the class.

Pleasent Valley well what can I say theres one in every academy.

nothing on any Yonkers class.!

thanks for the info firecapt!

thanks for clarification fire capt....it needed it, ha

Anyone still receiving canvas letters....Received one from Scarsdale FD....i received one in the fall and sent back that i didnt like the PAY and still got another one from them.......do you ever get offered more then one letter per up coming class...thanks

Hiring protocols??? Some covert operations going on...always thought hiring protocols were civil service law? Be patient fellas and you will get the info you seek...

Tob:

You can get several canvass letters from departments if they are hiring and you fit their criteria. Such as if they go off the county list or residency.

I received 4 canvass letters and interviewed with my agility off the prior list.

Tob:

You can get several canvass letters from departments if they are hiring and you fit their criteria.  Such as if they go off the county list or residency.

I received 4 canvass letters and interviewed with my agility off the prior list.

Not sure that I follow you, you were able to apply your physical agility results from the prior list? Did you have to take the agility again prior to hiring?

I have never taking an agility test....i also thought if you responded back to a canvas letter that you didnt like the location\pay, etc.....you would not receive another one from them.

Your right TOB your not following me.

I am not on the current list, no need to I am on the job.

What I was trying to explain is this:

If there are departments whom wish to hire and you fit their requirements you will get a canvass letter and you can get multiple for where you are on the list according to civil service law. So if a couple of departments whom don't have residency hire off the county list, and you are eligible you will get letters from those departments, if you live in a area that has professional personnel that has residency you will get a letter from them. It all depends on who is hiring, when and where.

When I got hired I was 20th on the list I got hired off of. So when the first hirings off that llist started, I got 3 letters from departments that had no residency, they hired off the county list, I interviewed with 2 out of the 3, one had to cancel they started their process too late compared to the agility date. The 4th was from where I live which had residency and I interviewed for them. I had 2 offers and accepted 1 and went to the agility as their candidate.

As far as receiving another letter once you turn it down, can't answer that I don't work for civil service call them. But I belive if your on the list and they canvas again, if your eligible they have to canvas you again. If you don't have people beating on your door for a job, and you get one letter, I wouldn't go turning it down, get in the system and go from there.

Thanks ALS....on this past list...came back 25th with a 95 and no i dont have residency anywhere in Westchester...this is the 3rd class going in i believe....received 3 letters so far....Tn of Mamaroneck, and then Scarsdale twice.

Hey guys, if you get offered the job in one of these smaller Career/Vol. Depts. buy all means take it. But if your hearts really into Firefighting, as mine has always been, you should strive harder to get appointed to one of the larger Career Depts. in lower Westchester, where I guarentee you'll get plenty of WORK and a decent Salary for your dedicated efforts. Otherwise, you could end up just being a paid chauffer, driving to the JOB and as has always been stated, HOOKING UP AND LOOKING UP! You'll rarely see the inside of a Fire Bldg., unless they need a hand in overhauling. Friends of mine have left my Dept. for these slower and smaller Combination Depts. and to this day, are absolutely miserable! They tell me they made a BIG MISTAKE and would love to come back but for unfortunate reasons can not. Just something to think about. B)

Capt. 415

I don't know if you get to Westchester County much lately, but the days of

"PAID CHAUFFERS" are OVER!

Rye had a fire recently in the mid-afternoon. Initial attack by 4 CAREER FIREFIGHTERS ON DUTY. Harrison in on mutual aid.

No more hookup and lookup. It is now park and go!

Most combination departments are experiencing so kind of manpower issues.

time is short class is forming!!! start date is April 3rd 0800 hours.

I agree. I don't know where 415 thinks that goes on, but definetly not around here. The days of "hook up and look up", and 10, 20, even 50 volunteers showing up are long over! Every combo dept. in Westchester is lacking in manpower both career and volunteer, and the smaller ones are adding more career men. Also, I think everyone needs to get away from the title "paid driver/chauffer". Every Professional Firefighter in Westchester and the surrounding Counties goes through what, 14 weeks of training now (not sure of the exact number of weeks)? They do a lot more in that time besides just learning to drive and operate a pump. Take whatever job you get offered, and don't listen to anyone who tells or advises you not to.

Oh, and Eastchester is looking to hire 2.

Edited by yfd910

pump operator is the 1st due engine company's MPO. the Remaining 2 or 3 enignes and truck MPO'S will start fire attack and or rescue. often that MPO has to get his own water source as well, it just makes 4 or 5 guys have to do the jobs of many more at the onset of a worker.

WOW! I guess it's a good thing then that these smaller Combo Depts. don't get as many JOBS on a routine basis. These guys would really be risking their LIVES more than they should, if only 4 to 5 guys are attacking a Fire. By the way, how many guys are standing buy as your Depts. FAST TEAM! :lol:

I agree. I don't know where 415 thinks that goes on, but definetly not around here. The days of "hook up and look up", and 10, 20, even 50 volunteers showing up are long over! Every combo dept. in Westchester is lacking in manpower both career and volunteer, and the smaller ones are adding more career men. Also, I think everyone needs to get away from the title "paid driver/chauffer". Every Professional Firefighter in Westchester and the surrounding Counties goes through what, 14 weeks of training now (not sure of the exact number of weeks)? They do a lot more in that time besides just learning to drive and operate a pump. Take whatever job you get offered, and don't listen to anyone who tells or advises you not to.

Oh, and Eastchester is looking to hire 2.

That's terrific! I like to see Depts. like Eastchester hiring more men. Are they increasing their manpower or just filling vacancies? Oh, by the way, are the Lieutenants in EFD still driving apparatus to alarms? I'm still trying to figure out this rational. :lol:

To all the new probies coming on....Best of Luck on your new career and stay safe..

And Capt 415 ...slowly but surely we will educate you Listen to Lucky truckie and others and you will realize our dedicated professionals are constantly at work. City of Rye did 882 alarms with no EMS last year. As you can see a busy department with their Eng 191 leading the pack with 707 responses.

capt 415 just to set the record straight the LT's in Eastchester drove rigs only the first 6 months the position was created, and that was only if manpower went down to a certain level. That was 7 years ago, Eastchester just made 5 additional LT's. Those LT's came from existing manpower, now each shift has a Lt on each ladder.