Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Task Force 7

I have a Question...

22 posts in this topic

In the recent FAJ, it says Seagrave, and American LaFrance have placed bids to build seven 75 foot towers. Would FDNY actually go with the American LaFrance towers? Has anyone heard anymore on this? I think it would be pretty cool to see some ALF midmount towers in NYC. :D:D

Not many companies can build the apparatus like Seagrave does, so it can last in the city. I don't think that they were too impressed with the Lafrance Engine that they had for awhile. Ferrara Fire Apparatus is attempting too compete for the FDNY contract. They designed/retooled a new chasis, and built two pumpers that look similar to Seagrave's design.

I noticed that ALF Tower Ladders pretty much builds there ladder up 75 ft like Task Force said. Does ALF make 95 ft Tower Ladders? Also, with anyone from experiance, does a 75 ft TL feed everyones needs?

ALF build's midmount Tower Ladders exclusively on the Eagle chasis in 75', 93', and a recently introduced 100' versions. NYC uses both 75' and 95' version Aerialscopes

I don't see the current Eagle or Metro chasis being able to meet the demanding NYC specs as they currently are outfitted. ALF would need to make several major changes to the product in order to make it compliant with FDNY spec. Another factor to consider is the compatibilty/interoperabilty issues that would arise. This is a completly different system than Aerialscope.

Also, I'm suprised Ferrara hasn't bid with their midmount TL on the Ultra chasis.

That all said, no other tower ladder IMO is better for NYC than a Seagrave/Aerialscope. Two major things that come to mind are the jacking system, and durability. Look how many have been refurbed and are now serving elsewhere, even after intense FDNY service. I highly doubt, unless some beauracrcy came into play , that FDNY would go with ALF.

On a side note, FDNY did have 2 ALF RM tower quints as tests in the 80's. Don't know the final disposition.

FDNY has been steadily moving away from the 95' version. The majority of tis Tower Ladders, by a substantial margin, are 75'.

there are 17 95' TLs remaining, including one spare.

That sounds about right. About 47 or so are the 75' mid-mounts.

As of early March, ALF was putting bids in for FDNY contracts for the first time in several years. As per the head of the FDNY shops, it is unlikely that they will be accepted.

Whats the major reason that FDNY is switching to majority of 75 footers?

smaller lengths thus more manuverable?

doesn't the shorter ladder reach decrease rescue options? as well as master stream capabilities? among other loss's?

In MY opinion nothing will ever top a MACK!

Ahh I loved the "CF" series. :D

E130 1975 Mack CF600...1975-2000 RIP!

E130 now a 2000 E-One Cyclone II which I really like

but it's just not the same.

CM36 The spartan cab on L105 is a rig that the FDNY recieved right after 9/11 when we were down rigs. I guess the spartan wasn't that popular. L105 got a new rig the spartan went to city island L-53 and L-53's rig which was in real good shape went to L-45 who's rig was in bad shape.

Thank ewsmith70 for that information. I was wondering if you had a link to that truck.

Chris... Are you sure of the accuracy of that photo with the Sutphen. I don't doubt that is was a FDNY piece, but the Ladder 14 that was purchased in the 1980's was a LaFrance / LTI 100ft tower quint. See the link below of it operating in 1996 in Midtown.

http://www.nyfd.com/manhattan_ladders/ladder_14.html

Chris... Are you sure of the accuracy of that photo with the Sutphen.  I don't doubt that is was a FDNY piece, but the Ladder 14 that was purchased in the 1980's was a LaFrance / LTI 100ft tower quint.  See the link below of it operating in 1996 in Midtown.

http://www.nyfd.com/manhattan_ladders/ladder_14.html

FDNY's Ladder 14 was a 1984 American LaFrance/LTI 100' Aerial Tower. The Sutphen was a 1980 model.

Yes I am sure of the photo's accuracy. There were two Sutphen's. In John Calderone's 1990 edition of "A New York City Guide to Fire Apparatus" there are two different Sutphens listed, both with 1250GPM Pumps, and 100ft. Towers. The 1980 was delivered in July and given shop # ST8001D, at the time this book was published that unit was operating as a spare, and it had been numbered for Ladder 14. The 1981 Sutphen Tower was deliever in December of 1981 and given shop # ST8101D and it was in service with Ladder Company 119. Additionlly I have found Mike Martinelli, who runs FDNYtrucks.com to be very, very accurate.