Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

GM brings back the Camaro muscle car

12 posts in this topic

Looks like everybody is jumping on the muscle car bandwagon that has been revived recently by Dodge. These other companies can try and compete against Dodge, but they'll never win.

GM brings back the Camaro muscle car

Reuters

0_21_1_9_camaro.jpg

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. on Monday showed off a Chevrolet Camaro prototype inspired by the 1969 version of the legendary muscle car to try to rev up demand for its return. Chevrolet had been widely expected to unveil the Camaro concept car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, a day after DaimlerChrysler's U.S. division rolled out a version of the rival Dodge Challenger.

Edited by x635

That car is HOT!!! I want one of those

Definately a sweet lookin car! Wonder whats its got under the hood? I'm a huge fan of the 68'/69' Camaro's, so its definately cool to see how this one was inspired by them! You can see some similarities, especially in the cars rear-end.

HELL YES!!!!!! i have been waiting for this for 2 years since they took it off the market!! and then when they introduced the cobalt i was scared that was there sorry excuse for a replacement. this s*** is hot!!

I hate to be such a killjoy, but they killed it. They may want to re-introduce a older model as something new, but all they did was copy Ford and Dodge and take the same 1960s design and freshen it up a little to make it more contemporary. While it doesn't look too bad, it's still a Chevy, which are notoriously unreliable, especially after 50k miles.

i love the new design. i think it's sweet! i owned a 1993 chevrolet camaro with the 5.7L 350 LT1 as my first car. my mother owned a 1968 camaro rs. i love the 69 style and think it is fairly restyled reminiscent of that era. i hope gm plans to produce it.

SPECIFICATIONS - CHEVROLET CAMARO CONCEPT

Vehicle type: two-door, four-passenger rear-wheel drive sport

coupe

Wheelbase (mm): 2806

Length (mm): 4730

Width (mm): 2022

Height (mm): 1344

Track (mm): 1620 front; 1607 rear

Engine: 6.0-L V-8 LS-2, 400 hp / 298 kw, with Active Fuel

Management

Transmission: six-speed manual T56

Suspension: four-wheel independent: MacPherson strut front,

multilink rear, progressive rate coil springs,

gas-pressurized dampers

Brakes: four-wheel disc, 15" rotors with four-piston

calipers

Wheels: cast aluminum, 21" front, 22" rear

Tires: 275/30R21 front, 305/30R22 rear

GM really dropped the ball on the camaro. Although there are some 69 styling cues, Its way to over designed. It needs to have more of a retro style like the mustang and the challenger concept. Sadly if this is the way they are going to go they will loose out to ford and dodge in the pony car wars. .

Should have never dropped it since Ford was keeping the Mustang. In fact the Camero body style toward the rear almost looks similar to the 'stang. Maybe it's just me. Hopefully it will perform well and maybe we'll see a new Firebird again from Pontiac?????

Good to see the Camero come back.

Everyone who knows me, knows I'm a Mustang person. Having restored several and having a restored convertable now. A few months ago I rented the new Mustang for a long drive on the Pacific Coast Highway. 5 days in the NEW retro car. While it looks a lot like the original and handles 100 times better it doesn't have the same mystic. None of the retro cars do. MAybe its becasue I have owned several restored cars. This new Camaro doesn't look like the original. It's a new car with on old name. Look at the Dodge Challenger. Now that looks like the original.

Now that is a beutiful piece of machineary!!!!!!!!!!!

While I would say I prefer Camaro's, the new Challenger Looks way better.