Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Ossining, nice stop

46 posts in this topic

Didn't Ossining have a major fire there a few years back? And another one a while before that?

Didn't Ossining have a major fire there a few years back? And another one a while before that?

Back in 1995 three buildings were destroyed up the street from where this fire took place.

Tenant leaps to safety in downtown Ossining fire

By SHAWN COHEN

spcohen@thejournalnews.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: January 19, 2006)

OSSINING — One tenant escaped a Main Street building fire this morning by jumping through a window before firefighters arrived and extinguished the flames.

. . This was on the Journal's website tonight. where did they jump from? I'm assuming it was on the first floor, since the article says no one got hurt. Either that or they had a real good landing!

I do see one problem...but i will not monday morning quaterback...how many other people notice it as well?

It took me a while studying the photo's to find the problem but then I realized it was very obvious. It appears the LCC for Ladder 41 is wearing a Lime Green Turnout Coat!. This is a fashion faux pas of the worst kind.

:D:D:D:D

Stay Safe!

Edited by EJS1810

It took me a while studying the photo's to find the problem but then I realized it was very obvious.  It appears the LCC for ladder 41 is wearing a Lime Green Turnout Coat.  This is a fashion faux pas of the worst kind.

:D:D

ejs your to funny!

o.f.d. excellent job!

self ventated fire, get behind it and push it out the windows. looks like heavy timber construction. you have alot of time before things go bad. watch out for cocklofts. those straight sticks are great tools to get firefighters to the roof quick!

After reading the article in the paper, I saw the one thing that always makes me happy.....NO INJURIES!!! Good Job Mauro & Crew.

Yup. Their's is the third building on the left of the fire , by the flag in the first picture.

Thought so, I wasn't sure if that was thier building or not.

Good job OFD!

Also too great shots of the incident!

OSSINING FD AWESOME STOP!!!! :)

ejs your to funny!

o.f.d. excellent job!

self ventated fire, get behind it and push it out the windows. looks like heavy timber construction. you have alot of time before things go bad. watch out for cocklofts. those straight sticks are great tools to get firefighters to the roof quick!

looks like heavy timber construction. you have alot of time before things go bad. :) quite the opposite, ordinary construction more than likely with fire cut beams, with raised roof allowing drainage and a huge cockloft,all fire concentrated up and front windows(no side windows) not alot of time to work at all before this roof comes down, good job ossining

:) Nice stop by Ossining! Anyone to knock is just jelous...

dosen't take a rocket scientest to tell they made a quick aggressive attack, and confined the fire to the building of origin. Good job guys! keep it up.

Edited by Truckie 1075

I did not see anything wrong with this picture. It appears that the Ossining Fire Dept did a great job fighting this fire luckly no one got hurt fighting this fire.

I agree with everything that has been said in this post about the job Ossining did knocking this fire down. The initial fire was knocked down in a matter of minutes in a good aggresive attack with nobody getting hurt.

My question is for EMT Bravo. I agree with you that negative postings and critiques serve no purpose. However by leaving in part of the post that someone sees something wrong in a picture isn't helpful. Either the whole entire post should be deleted or the writer should be made to explain what he sees wrong.

It could be someone with an agenda against a department, It could be someone just stirring the soup, or for some other reason. We have a number of young members in our department who are learning the business. They will be looking at that photo wondering what's wrong if there is anything wrong.

We can always find something to critique but if someone is just going to leave us hanging it doesn't do anyone a service to have the comment there.

On a lighter note...

...anyone else notice that this fire was at 123 Main Street?

I know I've used "123 Main Street" a thousand times as an imaginary location in conversations, during training, etc...

...no one sees the problem?!?..thats kind of scary. The first ladder up goes to the exposure 4 roof, however he is rather useless there as you can see the fire building roof and exposure 4 roof are not anywhere close to the same height. He would have been better off on the exposure 2 roof which is at the same height as the fire building allowing him to cut the roof as it is a top floor job. i cannot think of anything for that roof man to being doing on the roof he is going to, but then again i am not familiar with Ossining's SOP. It was a great stop by Ossining and they had the other ladder up fairly quickly anyway so they are to be commended on a great job!

Some of you get your panties in a bunch too quick. First off, I didn't see the person who asked if anyone saw anything in the pictures crtique anything, he just made a general comment to say he saw some things he thought and/or observed as being things that could have been made better. You discuss the incident, placement, actions in the photo, its a learning experience. Open your minds more instead of your mouths and perhaps it might make you safer, and give you the ability to make cricital decisions better and faster. Yes, if I was an officer on that scene there are some decisions based on the photos that I would have done different, BASED ON THE PICTURE. OFD did a great job stopping that fire, and no one has said otherwise. Little things happen in the course of an incident, the little things can add up to be a big thing if you don't pay attention to them and discussion on tactics based on pictures can be a good way to do so.

You don't want to critique departments thats fine. Live in your little box inside your head. They are learning tools that can be ideal. We use pictures in classes that talk about mistakes, events that lead up to LODD's and other pictures for tactic discussion, what is the difference? If you don't want to discuss tactics which is all that should be done from a single picture in the realm of this site, then don't come into the forum. If it weren't for some discussion on here, one member would still think that building was heavy timber. How about the fact that if you go up the street a couple more stores you will run into buildings being rehabbed that are hybrid construction. Look like the same ordinary construction but in the rehab they are using wood floor truss systems.

I don't care if you've been in the fire service 3 days, 3 years, or 3 decades too long, there is something to learn from every incident and keeping your mouth shut isn't the way to learn or interact properly.

R1, perhaps my definition is off for a taxpayer, but that is a commercial occupancy on the street and had tenants above it. Is there some other definition or use of a "taxpayer" I'm not aware of?

Also Iron, I was taught long ago, and observed (by asking questions later, lol) regardless of fire wall or not you have to make the exposures and check for extension. Like you even said, these "tend" to go vertical before horizontal. But if it does go horizontal and your not prepared, you'll have the #1 IA pictures for this site at the end of the year, lol. I will say again I think that was a great stop to be proud of, there are just some things that as I look at the incident at hand, I do in my head without thinking or caring what department it is, based on assignment. Many other sites do it. 1st due, 2nd due engine/truck etc. FAST, for instance, the boards on the windows on the exposures would come off just in case. etc.