Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jybehofd

Volunteer Ambulance Corps

6 posts in this topic

I may be mistaken but I have always thought that the VACs do not recieve tax money or generate taxes. But they can soft bill?? So where is the wasting of taxpayer money on a 100k+ rig??? I am not part of a VAC but I do have some friends that are and this area always seemed a little grey to me.

Not all ambulances are run by VAC's. There are many that are run by fire districts. Fire districts can not bill at all. There fore, the whole operation is subsidised by taxes.

Not all ambulances are run by VAC's.  There are many that are run by fire districts.  Fire districts can not bill at all.  There fore, the whole operation is subsidised by taxes.

Some VAC's are tax districts. I do not know if they can or can not bill.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

Absolutely VAC get tax money one way or another. I have worked for many VAC's as a paid Paramedic. They all get money one way. They can have their own tax district or the town, village or whatever has it in the budget to give them money.

They also bill the health insurance on patients. So the whole "Volunteer" thing only relates to the personnel not the operational cost of running it. That is tax payer and health insurance money.

Our Vac gets a budget from our Village, in other words tax payer money, the Village does charge for the ambulance to Pts. but we get no money from that. We do accpet donations but our true money comes from the Village. Therefore we are not a true VAC atrue VAC only gets money from donations, I do not think they do billing they usually ask the pts. they transport for donotions.

Where is the wasting of tax money?

If they soft bill, then they bill medicare and medicaid....funded by taxes.