Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Head Immobilization-What Do You Prefer?

25 posts in this topic

It seems to me there are a million devices out there to secure a head to a backboard.

It always seems to me the simple, classic method of two foam blocks secured with tape work best, however they seem at times to wiggle out of the position you want them in during transport.

I've used the Laerdal Headbed System, which seems to work pretty well.

What have you found works best?

Headblocks and 4" Tape across the forehead and collar works fine for me.

Headblocks and 4" Tape  across the forehead and collar works fine for me.

Tape or velcro straps.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

I prefer the headbed also. Quick, efficient and the tape portion holds very very well. One time use ensures cleanliness, reducing risk of cross contamination if reusable equipment isn't cleaned properly or at all.

Tape or velcro straps.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

Tape 3M works great

Can't stand foam blocks. The only way to get them tight enough or to stay is to use them on a dead patient. Velcro head blocks work best, but the headbed is great for ease of maintenance.

Sandbags used to work well........but had some attendant issues.

Damn cervical displacement.

I like foam headblocks as they are pretty adaptable. The cardboard devices are pretty flimsy, and don't provide support along the length of the patient's head while they are supine.

Sandbags used to work well........but had some attendant issues.

Damn cervical displacement.

I like foam headblocks as they are pretty adaptable.  The cardboard devices are pretty flimsy, and don't provide support along the length of the patient's head while they are supine.

Hey anything to get the job done! I'm sure that the cardboard systems have been "field tested" and deemed safe for use, but I like the good ol' head blocks. What ever works to keep the patient's C-spine in line. I've used towel rolls in the past when we've ran out of blocks. You may get a few looks from the er staff for your inventive ways but it works safely and quickly.

Peekskill EMS uses headbeds. i think they work the best because the foam blocks have a tendency to slip sometimes. the headbeds already are equipped with a piece of very sticky blue tape that goes across the patients head and a little pad were the back of the head rests.

I have to go with the nead bed. The heck with those cheap cardboard head beds too!! The head bed with velcro is ur best bet, but if the included head straps aren't available, feel free to use tape or even cravats...

Gotta agree with the anomalyman tho......towel rolls were the bomb. we used the back at Empress for years, and besides ticking off the hospitals for using all their towels, they used to work great. Plus, they're pretty handy as footballs between calls.

Gotta agree with the anomalyman tho......towel rolls were the bomb.  we used the back at Empress for years, and besides ticking off the hospitals for using all their towels, they used to work great.  Plus, they're pretty handy as footballs between calls.

Had to do that one in a pinch, still work great.

Headbeds are the way to go... easy operation and the velcro plus tape assures the head stays put.

Head beds are the way to go. They are terrible in the rain though. The blue tape is great for going over the eyebrows on thoses ummm lets say not so nice patients or your BS OH MY BACK MY NECK I WANT MY LAWYER! patients

The "block to block" securing device, wether it be tape or the aftermarket devices all work well enough to do the same job. Still, in my set ways, the classic foam block HIDs work just fine for what we need them.

For those with the actual need for immobilization (i.e. point tenderness to spine, neuro deficiets) I prefer to go with foam bocks or towel rools and DUCT TAPE, I find that medical tape does't necessarily stick too well to the board and tends to tear easily. As for the head-beds I find them to be more asthetic than anything else (that goes for both the disposable ones and the re-useable velco systems), just a gentle reminder to the patient to hold still.

I like foam blocks and lots of tape that is what I use whenever possible towels work well I have used all and the tape and lots of it with the blocks works well

towels work beautifully espeacially in a "move quick" scenario. 1 or 2 on each side of the head taped in the obvious places and wrapped around the board. towels will stay with a persons head even if there is some movement. try it out and let me know what you think

Blocks And Tape easy And Works, but head beds are good if your in a lazy mood

I like the head block however the head bed seem nice but again the rain does not help to make it stick I have not used it myself so i cant make the full judgement but i seen them used. The Head bed are good for cars that are need for

PART 800 becuase it is small and one time use so you dont have to put it back in your car or worrie it you will get back. But I still like the HEAD Block and tape/velcor straps you can use them in any weather

It always seems to me the simple, classic method of two foam blocks secured with tape work best, however they  seem at times to wiggle out of the position you want them in during transport.

as my daddy once said......

if it works why mess with something else? it is classic, convenient, and effective.

they wiggle a little, but not enought to affect the patient or your procedures.

Edited by offdutyninja

Well, I have to say that I prefer head-blocks. I believe that they do a better job of immobilizing a patient than a head-bed. When you put on a block, most of the time it extends from the patients shoulders through their head, effectively immobilizing their C-spine. Head-beds on the other hand I feel dont have that same level of effectivness. They only have one piece of tape and there is nothing on the side of a patients head except for a piece of cardboard to prevent them from moving around. Towel rolls are a great alternative to blocks and are adequate in pateint care, bu their down fall is that they are single use.

Headblocks and velcro straps work best. Tape is used if needed

DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!